As the Weather Turns II : Lights

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

AlW

As the Weather Turns II : Lights

Post by AlW »

I'm looking for some opinions on lights. My 1W MEC Shark isn't going to cut it (2 of them is not much better).

What kind of power should I be looking for?

Lister mentioned the MiNewt.200 which is 200 lumens.

MEC has the Cygolight MityCross, which is 350 lumens and about the same price.

I want to be able to see what's on the road before I hit it, but not sure what kind of wattage\lumens is sufficient.

Any other recommendations out there?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Katie & I both use DiNotte 200L - 200 Lumens with Lithium Ion batteries. Very bright, more than enough light for solo road riding at night. I usually dim it while in the pack.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared ... =401145577

I've also heard good things about Light & Motion. The 600 lumen ones are amazing, light having a spot light attached to your head. They are more for mountain biking. Their 200 lumen ones are also good.

http://www.bikelights.com/folders.asp?uid=1
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
gav_eaton

Post by gav_eaton »

I have a Light & Motion ARC (with Lithium Ion batter) and it is a thing of wonder. It pushes about 700 lumens for over 3 hours - and I have literally been high-beamed by passing cars because it's too bright.

That being said, it's way way overkill for group rides. The only reason I had it was for when I bike commuted from Shawnigan every day - and well, you need something special for going 80 down the 'Hat in complete darkness. As Roland mentioned - it's really intended for mountain biking at night. A lot of the 24 hour pro racers use the same at light.

But for group rides - you really only need 200 lumens at best. It certainly doesn't hurt to have more if you can get it for similar value - but unless your ripping up the single track at midnight, the super high-powered (and super expensive) ones aren't really worth it.

To be honest, most of the time (unless it's really nasty out) I only use my little 5-LED bar mount light from MEC. It was only like $12.

I also used the PrincetonTec lights from MEC for a while (both the single and triple lamp versions) and they were pretty good.
@#$& this 'work' stuff, I think I'll just go pro...
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

One nice thing the lights I use and the others have posted about is they use elastic cord mounts; nice so you don't have to move a bracket around between bikes. And if your light budget is, er, overseen by others, you can always say it's useable by others in the family.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

I am going to disagree (respectfully) with Gavin here. I used to use the little MEC light and then went to the MiNewt. Having made the change now I wouldnt even consider riding in winter in our group without a light at least as good as the MiNewt. It doesnt need to be like a car headlight but I dont think the mec lights cut it - they are good to let cars know where you are but I dont feel they let you see any danger.

I think maybe the 200 lumens is a good "standard" for lights. Anyone else agree/disagree?
2hotty

Post by 2hotty »

I'm with Peter. Not a plug here for the shop but to keep you and everyone else safe, 200 lumens minimum. At speed, the brighter the light, the more prepared you are to point something out. This is the predawn cycling club, turn up the lumens.

Scotty
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

I agree with Gav--love the light/motion. It is great to hear some one in the peleton yell "car back" based upon the glare from behind. I also have a cool little light from knog http://www.knog.com.au/Product.aspx?productId=159 featured in a funky web site. This is great for lower luminenscent demands and has no bracket etc.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Great thoughts all. If everyone jumps in, we should be getting complaints from the observatory about light pollution!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
AlW

Re: As the Weather Turns II : Lights

Post by AlW »

I thought I saw a few Minewt Mini-USB units out there this morning.

For those using it, do you find it sufficient for the morning rides, or would you prefer more light?

The price point is a little more compatible with the family budget so figured I should consider it.
eric.partlow

Re: As the Weather Turns II : Lights

Post by eric.partlow »

I use the Niterider MiNute mini-USB and find them to be adequate. I really think everyone should have decent power to illuminate the road ahead of them for the safety of themselves and everyone behind them. My first couple rides down Blenkinsop with a little blinking LED in the rain in the dark were scarey. When your out front relying on the light from behind you cannot see corners coming let alone potholes.
The Mini has 110 lumens and is lightweight and affordable. I would suggest 100 to 200 lumens for a group ride. If someone has really powerful lights (300-600) it can be distracting. as can a bright blinking taillight - turn them on non-flash.
For specs on niterider see this chart
http://www.niterider.com/light_comparisonchart.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
See you in the morning - no lights needed for 0700hr yet but strap on your fenders.
Cheers,
Eric