Live Life Celebration Ride (Good Friday)

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Rumble Paul

Live Life Celebration Ride (Good Friday)

Post by Rumble Paul »

Hey guys and gals,

On Friday, April 18th (Good Friday) we are doing a 100K Peninsula route to have some fun, and also raise awareness for the importance of registering as an Organ Donor.

Good Friday will mark the 3rd anniversary of my new lungs, and I am hoping many of you might joint me in celebrating! I am trying to arrange a sponsor or two to provide some snacks at about the half way point (Deep Cove Market).

The only 'cost' is you have to register as an organ donor! It takes 2 minutes at http://www.bctransplant.ca.

More than 80% of Canadians wish to be registered, though only @20% are.

There is a FB event created as well, about 25 people so far coming along. There will be different paced riders, so everyone should be able to find a few folks to ride with. I will hoping to ride a comfortable 27-29) average and keep it conversational, but I know there will be some faster and some slower for sure.

Please indicate below if you might be interested.

Cheers!

Paul
Rolf

Re: Live Life Celebration Ride (Good Friday)

Post by Rolf »

A fantastic idea, Paul. One I'd love to support! This ride seems like an organic extension of your vision with (the mostly organic) Rumble etc. Thanks for organizing. Do you think NDP leadership candidate John Horgan might attend? (Ok, ok; I'll stop!) :P

FB says start is 10 a.m. at Clover Pt. Let us know if that changes.
Rumble Paul

Post by Rumble Paul »

Thanks Rolf!

Sorry about that - the start time is indeed 10:00. I will have some product donated from Planet Foods (likely Honey Stingers, maybe more) and some Rumble of course!

Look forward to seeing you there. BTW, my wife Sandra will be coming, so this is one where it might be great to pull along a few that think 100K is too far. It isn't for most, and this course is the friendliest 100K I could do 2 years ago.

Plan is to end up back at Clover Point for now.

Cheers,

Paul
RichT

Post by RichT »

I'm in and it took me less than 2 minutes to register. Register now and enjoy the ride.....

Cheers ~ Richard
Rumble Paul

Post by Rumble Paul »

Just wanted to say I've been fortunate to get a few generous companies to kick in some goodies. There will be some HoneyMaxx drink, Honey Stinger (from Planet Foods) and some Edge Bars as well from the great crew at The Edge - Food Energy. Oh, and of course some Rumble from my colleagues!

Trying to co-ordinate a volunteer for the half way point, but at the very least will have table set up with some good stuff to start the ride with.

Cheers,

Paul
Rumble Paul

Post by Rumble Paul »

Just an update to say I figured out how to upload the proposed 100K route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6272698

Fingers crossed, right now the weather looks to be pretty decent Friday. There may be a media crew to send us off, BTW.

And I know I don't need to remind anyone in this group, but the idea here is just to *register* as an organ donor, not *be* one! So, please ride safe, obey the rules and set a good example for the little ones ;)

P.
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Sounds like a good second ride of the season to me :)
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Heard you on CBC yesterday, Paul. I just confirmed that I'm registered. Just needed my Care Card and 1 minute.

Have a great ride!

http://bctransplant.ca/register-to-be-an-organ-donor/

Martin
Peter Erickson

Post by Peter Erickson »

Registered and almost ready to ride. See you at 10am.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Awesome, awesome barnstormer of a ride. Lots of smiles, not too much sketchiness despite a varied bunch, and ultimately a pretty sunny day. I rode well beyond my fitness level, which I'll put down to Mike D. pushing the pace, Roland's lervely Ti-Fighter, and imagining what it would be like to be riding with lungs that started out in someone else.

Thanks, Paul!