VCL#1_Caleb_Pike#1

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

VCL#1_Caleb_Pike#1

Post by JohnT »

A very satisfying race:

Didn't feel like running around yesterday to get the free hub sorted (Russ Hayes did a great job). Didn't feel like doing a major clean last night (my bike hadn’t been properly cleaned since last summer and I confess to resorting to motor oil for lube on a few occasions this winter). Didn’t even feel like leaving the comfort of home this morning. Come to think of it, even last Wednesday I did hills a little harder than I wanted to, just to prepare for today. Racing is a lot like the rest of TS. Who in their right mind likes a 5:30 am alarm? But that 7:45 am feeling at coffee is almost unbeatable. I went into the B race with zero indecision. My visit to Russ Hayes the day before alerted me to the reality of the 2014 A race scene. They’ve dominated every race they’ve attended so far (non VCL races) and Caleb Pike was no different. First two guys went by the B’s, then two more, and then another two. Two-by-two Russ Hayes A racers must have run off the front of the A pack. A lap later they were a single red and white break away. They all have matching Specialized Tarmacs - it's exciting, but no country for old men. Jay ran an amazing A race – hopefully he’ll write to tell about that. Many usual suspects in B and a new group of three keen young guys in green. They ran at the front the entire race along with three strong women. This, by contrast, suited me fine. Ritchie and Stephane were also in attendance, Stephan sporting his Wheelers kit. My plan, having ridden an average of twice a week this spring, was to sit in and not even worry about where I sat in. That might not sound like a ‘plan’, but deciding in advance not to react to shit is a plan that’s sometimes hard to follow. I’m rambling. First few laps were reasonable – lots of TSers wouldn't have had any trouble (hint). The three greenies mentioned above and one or two of the women opened a gap and then Stephane bridged. I knew that group was capable of staying away, so I bridged taking one guy with me. The leaders slowed and the B’s reassembled. A wasted effort, but it could easily have been THE break. That was also a signal. These green meanies weren’t mean at all (they were running at the front without a killer instinct – cool). Twelve laps in total, they counted down without much drama and even the bell lap had a slow run along the ‘back straight’. Stephan couldn't bear it, and jumped ….. way too soon. Then, after the 90 degree right-hander Ritchie decided it was time to hammer ….. still way too soon. The problem is that the run down the main hill is so fast in a pack that you just can’t keep them at bay. In the pack you don't even start pedaling on the way up until you’re half way there. So a break has to be going twice as fast as the pack to stay in front, or has to leave the pack with two laps remaining.
In that pack, I made a small mistake – too tall a gear. The run up the hill went well. I was quickly into 3rd, and driving hard to maintain, but didn't have the horsepower at this low cadence to increase my speed. I got passed once and ended up fourth. Stephane is stronger than me this spring. No doubt about that, but that doesn’t always translate. Yes, now I am gloating. He'll get his chance, sooner rather than later I am sure. This is another message to those waiting for a fitness ‘peak’. Come on out regardless of your condition. You’ll dread the run up to the race, and love the afterglow.

JT
Last edited by JohnT on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolf

Re: VCL#1_Caleb_Pike#1

Post by Rolf »

Great write up, John. The stream-of-consciousness thing really worked. :)

It made me quite grateful to have eased back onto the bike this morning with a very friendly and accommodating Farm Team.
Jaylamoureux

Post by Jaylamoureux »

My first Caleb Pike A race

First... I felt quite guilty racing for Procity in my full Tripleshot kit :/ Tho maybe it maybe it made me a little stealthyer??

Anywho,
As I sat nervously awaiting the start of the Caleb A race, I couldn't help but feel like I was stuck in a Russhay's swarm.
Kevin informed of RH's strategy.
They were going to send two or three man attacks up the road in an attempt to form a larger break. (One of these "teams" consisted of: Curtis dearden and Cody canning :shock: ) Needless to say, it worked.
After 10 laps, enough RH's guys had gone and been caught or not, that I can honestly say that I had no idea how many guys were up the road.(I'm pretty sure now that it was 6) Kevin, Matt, a few OBB riders and myself chased hard, but I seemed like the break would turn around that next corned just a little sooner each lap. So with ~ three laps to go and nobody wanting to be tired for the sprint, the chase failed. The sprint was for seventh.
I thought about attacking up the hill as the bell rang, but told myself "a little later." Though as we rounded the hard left turn at the bottom of corner one, others thought differently and the first of two dangerous breaks went but was quickly reeled in. The second break, split off about half way up the long side and I decided to kick it up a gear to get on to Matts wheel. However as soon as i swung out from the group and hammered up the the break, Matt was slowing. I yelled at him to get on my wheel but he just shook his head.
I felt like I was at the Sidney TT as I ripped around the last corner and slammed my forearms down on the bars into the most aero position I could muster. Glancing back every few second I knew there where two other guys chasing me but i didn't care, I was already fully invested. Tuck and up the hill I went. I was deep it the pain cave as a fuzzy rider of red and white just edged me out.

I still have a few reservations about this circuit after being DQ'ed on it last year. And For sure I took a a few corners a little too causiouly because what happens last year.

Jay
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

JT's report pretty much covered the B race, including the details of my final tactical error. Thanks John. I have to say finishing behind you was extremely disappointing :twisted:

I have to disagree with John here and say the the A race was not that exciting considering that it was basically the "Russ Hays and guests" show. The dominance of the RH team kind of made the result a foregone conclusion: apparently they placed 1 through 6 in the As. That being said, well done to Jay and my OBB homies for racing their a***s off today. Ain't no shame in their game!
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Way to go guys.

My favorite quote from your reports is " It was the Russ Hays show with a few guests"
Encore performance to come soon.

John T. and I were discussing their dominance and team organisation. He suggested this could be a good lesson for groups of Tripleshot A, B and C racers and other clubs too, going into this seasons VCL and Masters events.

( see the new "CYCLING EVENTS 2014" calendar on our forum.)

Lets get some team plans togethar for Wednesday nights, WSW , Windsor Crits and a couple of Masters races. I would be pleased to help out with , and ,be a lead-out Man for the "Young kids and middle aged riders " , C event.

On the Road....pc
sylvan

VCL#1_Caleb_Pike#1

Post by sylvan »

The dominance of the RH team kind of made the result a foregone conclusion: apparently they placed 1 through 6 in the As.
1 through 7 :-p
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

B Race Results

1 James Grant
2 Jenny Lehman
3 Vinko Poldruyovac
4 John Taylor
5 Brodie Hay
6 Marty Machacek
7 Mark Grant
8 Stephane Tran
9 Simon Ciceri
10 Steve Munro
11 Henry Roman
12 Meghan Grant
13 Ritchie Hughes
14 Erik Diertens
15 Rob Scrimgeo
Der Radfahrer

Post by Der Radfahrer »

Hey guys,

Just to give some clarification on our Team's "Strategy" on Sunday. We were capping off the last day of our March training camp weekend with some racing. Most of our Vancouver riders came over, which explains the large number of RH guys. We decided to divide our team into 3 smaller teams and have them race against each other and everyone else.

For the remaining VCL's, I doubt we will have a large group like that again from our Team but it can expected to have guys like Curtis, Raph, Cid, Cody, and Dylan showing up once and a while.

I hope to see more women coming out to race as well.

One last item: We are taking names of people who want to be put on a wait list for any available Specialized Team bikes that we will be selling at the end of the season. This will be on a first come - first serve basis. In August, we will be refurbishing our 2014 Team Tarmac bikes and selling them for a great deal. Other items will include Helmets, Shoes, etc...

Email me if you want to be put on the wait list at russhayseliteracing@gmail.com

Thanks guys!

Jon Watkin
General Manager
Accent Inns/Russ Hay's Cycling Team p/b Scotiabank
Jon Watkin
Event Director
Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series
email: info@victoriabikerace.com
phone: 250-415-3246