Stop Signs and police

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

conway

Stop Signs and police

Post by conway »

This email from Norm Bennett will be of interest to Tripleshot members who ride in Sannich.

A cyclist friend of Willi Fahning (Sidney velo) recently was fined $200 for failing to stop at the 3-way stop intersection on East Saanich Road by the Saanich Peninsula Rec Centre. The police person even asked for his driver’s licence!! So cyclists beware. The police stated that a cyclist must come to a complete stop and place one foot on the road. ( I rarely see a police car come to a complete stop let alone the average motorist).

Mark
4827north

Re: Stop Signs and police

Post by 4827north »

You do not have to place one foot on the ground. That's BS. Fight the ticket. I'm amazed how little policeman know about the MVA wrt cycling. You just have to stop. A track stand even if for one millionth of a second long is stopped.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

If we follow the logic, drivers should have to place one foot on the ground at each stop.
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

phox

Post by phox »

Brakes locked up + tires in contact with ground + not skidding = stopped.

Of course, I see a lot of cyclists roll through. Illegal? Yes. Should be ticketed? Probably not unless it's causing a problem (i.e. there's other traffic or they couldn't see that there's not other traffic), because the police won't even ticket motorists who assault cyclists with their vehicles.

Civilized countries have yield signs, but North American motorists' brains can't handle that.