2014 VCL

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

2014 VCL

Post by Lister Farrar »

Hi all:
John asked me to post a summary of the decisions we need to make about our involvement in the VCL. Basically, do we want races, do we want the beginner format, are we happy with Western Speedway or prefer something else?

VCL Format and History:
VCL is the weekly training series for road in Victoria. 2013 schedule http://duanebc.com/raceresults2013/VCL2013results.html

The various local road clubs split up the dates and collectively present a series that contributes to an overall standings. Categories are A, B and C. 2013 results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

Courses (caleb, newton, latoria, windsor) tend to be short, one lane, and fairly technical for beginners, except the hillclimbs and counting tt's at Sidney.

Two seasons ago, C was a very small category, so not really appealing to beginner racers as they pretty much had to ride around alone or with one or two others. Tripleshot started a beginner series Monday nights then, that was nominally part of the VCL, but did not contribute to overall points. It was a hybrid clinic and race series at western speedway, so riders could begin racing without having to think about cars or technical courses. It got great reviews, but modest attendance.

The club also has organized Wednesday races at Western, which historically made money for the club. Last season we only had one Wednesday, which was rained out.

So, what do we want?
The VCL races are an ideal way to get into bunch racing, either the Wednesdays, or the beginner Mondays. (and the A and B races are competitive.) They're cheap, safe, close to home, not too long, friendly. It should be an easy step up for anyone doing regular Tripleshot group rides. But, the beginner races have not drawn well promoted simply as part of the VCL series. Probably because the VCL is mainly experienced riders that know what they want and the schedule is all most races need to draw riders. Beginners on the other hand don't know as well what they need or want.

This means that if we want to cater to more beginning racers, we probably need to more heavily promote our races to beginners if we want to continue to offer them. An alternative is to drop the beginner events, and focus on hosting Wednesday races with C races, at a circuit like Western, which would give some beginner racing, but likely not the clinic atmosphere as much.

Courses
The club is thinking about other courses. These require permission, neighbor relations, cleanup, etc. Western is simpler, but is on the west side of Victoria, and they charge rent of approx $250 a race (Al can you confirm?). It's terrible to drive to from downtown in traffic, but easy to ride to. The organization can be done with a backpack. Tents and brooms are available from the speedway.

There is also the opportunity to modify the plain oval with one or more chicanes into the infield and the go-cart hairpin.

Western is available Wednesdays from daylight time until June 18, when the hornet cars take over. Bookings are first come first served.

If there is interest, i can book, but we need to be sure members think it's what we want. And we need volunteers to help register, and score the races.

Traditionally, the VCL has a results team that scores and compiles results and standings. I believe its continuing, but am not sure until the first meeting.

We also need to know how many to ask for: other clubs may want the early Wednesdays when interest in cycling is high. We have to know we want these Wednesdays to get them on the schedule.

Finally, I'm fairly committed in the spring: I coach at the track April to August, Mondays and Thursdays 4:30 to 6:00, and help run the school league Tuesdays 3-7, in April and May. I can do Wednesdays, but Mondays require a bit too much juggling for the turnout we've had.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
wonger

Re: 2014 VCL

Post by wonger »

I think it would make sense for us to host races at the speedway on Wednesdays as part of the VCL series. In other words, not just for beginners but having races where the A's and B's score series points. I think that the races would benefit from the additional buzz of having the entire race group come out, rather than just the beginners.

Would there be some way to augment the new racer experience where we could ask the experienced riders to help out? Would we consider running the beginner race last so that A's and B's might consider hanging around to help the new racers?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Lister. I really favour the VCL races early in the season, possibly later as well. It would be great to try to get as much A B, C participation by promoting it around the clubs. Would be nice to have some fun prizes/primes to attract more participation. I liked the Monday nighter I went to but low participation. I had the same thought as Geoff that it would make sense to have a clinic in association with the races for beginners and kids to get the racers involved in coaching, and to have more people out for a more festive feel like the cross races. Would be neat if we could make the circuit more than an oval, don't know if it could loop out to the parking lot?? Likely not. The problem with speedway is if it rains the circuit is not safe. What are our options for other courses. I wonder if we could do a VCL up in Shawnigan on the Masters course up Mill Bay Shawnigan road, to Cobble Hill Road and Cameron Taggert. It is a fun circuit and if it were on a weekend you would get uptake and it is ok in the rain.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

May I suggest, for illustrative purposes, that VCL consider organizing some races that start at 6 a.m.?

:)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

The VCL meeting is Tuesday January 14 at 6pm. At the Esquimalt base. Who's in?

A coffee meeting yesterday with John, Alan, and Peter suggested asking for as many Wednesdays at western as possible.

New courses, prizes and clinics would no doubt be appreciated. The club needs to decide if this is how it wishes to spend its coaching budget. The VCL system status quo is attractive because of automatic turnout and revenue for the club. Given the time constraints and lack of member turnout to the Mondays, I'd need to see more concrete interest, or resources in the form of volunteers to promote at that busy time of year, to push for that.

I've been asked by Rolf to play a lead role in the emjs school bike club Wednesdays, which is an even more direct conflict. Decisions need to be made. Given that club had 110 riders last year, and we had 5-10 members Mondays,...
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

I agree with those above in thinking that it would be best to have Tripleshot running the VCL's at Western Speedway instead of the monday night beginner races/clinic for reasons already mentioned in this thread. I would be more than happy to help with registration, etc for some of those events. Western speedway is also the most spectator-friendly of all the VCL courses, which adds some extra fun.
Also, I'm not sure if running two events, monday TS beginner clinic, and VCL C races every week competing for peoples' time would be in the best interest of those beginners anyway. It's hard enough for most people to make time for 1 event, nevermind two weeknights.
Tripleshot also consistently pumps out some pretty good "beginners". Last year some of our beginner racers included Anika, and Matt (who seamlessly moved from tripleshot rides to finishing close to the top in VCL A races)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Meeting details

7:00 pm tomorrow night
1367 Victoria View Rd., Esquimalt base,
Second floor of the two story Nixon building.
Call me (Alan Thimot) at 250 418-1452 if lost.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Important Dates:

First VCL race is at Caleb Pike on Sunday March 16 at 10:30 am.

Triple Shot VCL races take place at the Speedway (assuming the booking goes as hoped) on April 30, May 21, and June 11. We will need volunteers, though IRC has taken over race number distribution and 'scoring', which includes photography, so volunteering shouldn't be too strenuous.

Much more to come when I have the energy to type things out, but you might also like to know that the idea of having mentored C races was well received. Nothing is set, but the C group Speedway races might have experienced racers participating in an effort to help newbies feel welcome and get up to speed, and this format might be adopted by other clubs at other venues.

JT
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I noticed that a draft schedule for VCL 2014 has been posted.

http://victoriacyclingleague.wordpress. ... chedule-3/

Martin
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Please note the change: NO CALEB PIKE race this weekend. It is on March 23rd. Also, that schedule Martin provided a link to doesn't have a March 30th race at Caleb Pike, but there was one in our original calendar. I haven't heard anything about the cancellation, so I'll follow up on race #2 as soon as possible.

John
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Hi everyone,

I might not be able to attend the race this Sunday (though I'll do my best to rearrange my calendar), but I am writing to encourage others to give it a try if you haven't already. Not prepared? Great. This is an opportunity to race without pressure. It's March for crying out loud, who cares whether you win or get dropped? Answer: No one. But, what a chance to get motivated for the upcoming summer. Some people pay big bucks to go to Sardinia for this kind of training motivation - All you have to do is head out to Langford/Caleb Pike and drop $10 (plus a small fee for a season long number). Work a deal with a friend to ride with you just in case you do get dropped (or to lead you out if things go better than expected). Heck, let the pack get away on purpose and then try to stay on the lead lap (i.e., if you are feeling at all stressed about leaping into the world of racing). It's a lot of fun, it will help schedule training through the summer and there's a real thrill to riding with other TS jerseys in a pack of competitors. My only bit of advise that isn't happy-go-lucky is this: Make sure your bike is in good order before racing. Brake pads, tires, cable adjustments, etc. This is really out of respect for fellow racers. Get/Do a tune up, badger a few friends and go for it.

JT
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

JohnT wrote:Hi everyone,

I might not be able to attend the race this Sunday (though I'll do my best to rearrange my calendar), but I am writing to encourage others to give it a try if you haven't already. Not prepared? Great. This is an opportunity to race without pressure. It's March for crying out loud, who cares whether you win or get dropped? Answer: No one. But, what a chance to get motivated for the upcoming summer. Some people pay big bucks to go to Sardinia for this kind of training motivation - All you have to do is head out to Langford/Caleb Pike and drop $10 (plus a small fee for a season long number). Work a deal with a friend to ride with you just in case you do get dropped (or to lead you out if things go better than expected). Heck, let the pack get away on purpose and then try to stay on the lead lap (i.e., if you are feeling at all stressed about leaping into the world of racing). It's a lot of fun, it will help schedule training through the summer and there's a real thrill to riding with other TS jerseys in a pack of competitors. My only bit of advise that isn't happy-go-lucky is this: Make sure your bike is in good order before racing. Brake pads, tires, cable adjustments, etc. This is really out of respect for fellow racers. Get/Do a tune up, badger a few friends and go for it.

JT
Good one John. I always think racing will be hard/embarrassing/painful/you-name-it. And I always fail, try again, succeed in some way, enjoy it, and learn something.

Where else do you find such pure focus? And such uncluttered feedback? And such a great bunch of people to hang out with after dissecting, analyzing and celebrating.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Anyone know where the 2014 VCL results can be found?
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I think Duane is still doing them but perhaps just not up yet?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Didn't have no results of no training races back in my day. You raced and you went home. Hmph. But anyway Duane isn't doing the results. I'm not either but I think I can get the top-10 and post them here for now. Stay tuned. New website for VCL results coming online soon.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

IRC is in charge of race results this year. No doubt Caleb Pike data will end up on a VCL site, but I'd check IRC web first. One note that I'll add here, but that probably belongs in Race Reports: There was a single C racer last weekend. That means that any one of you could have entered and ended up second (at least). Don't worry, I won't harass you about racing all season, but something to anticipate: We host the three Speedway races. It would be really great to have a big TS turn out at these events.

Cheers,

JT