Just trying to buy a bike for my wife's birthday...

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

wonger

Just trying to buy a bike for my wife's birthday...

Post by wonger »

So here's the ad from Canadian Cyclist that I responded to, posted August 12...

2013 Scott Addict CX (Cyclocross) (49cm)
2013 Scott Addict CX. Immaculate condition. Ready to race. No components altered. (49cm XS ). Priced to sell.
Price: $2100

519-319-7589
Valleyhomeinspection@rogers.com
Posted: 08/12/2013

Here's my correspondence with the seller - scroll to the bottom and read your way up

Whatever dude. You're crazy.

On 2013-09-01, at 1:32 PM, David Kelly <valleyhomeinspection@rogers.com> wrote:

I really don't care what a conniving thief who steals from innocent people instead of working for a living believes. It's time for you to cut your losses on me, and move on to the next ad. What am I saying? I'm sure that you need to work a number of us at a time - most people are on to your types by now, so business must be slow! Normally I would just not answer garbage inquiries from across the country and questioned myself for wasting my time sparring with you, but admit that it is kind of interesting to see how the other (I hope!) 1% operate. I do see the value in it now, however - I will do the cycling community a service by posting our communication in it's entirety - it will be passed around quickly - nobody likes to be robbed! - and, with any luck, you will have to find another line of work....

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-09-01, at 3:54 PM, Geoffrey Wong <gw@oncearound.ca> wrote:

Sure it is. Good for you.

On 2013-09-01, at 12:17 PM, David Kelly <valleyhomeinspection@rogers.com> wrote:

Careful, not paranoid. And my bike is sold.

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-09-01, at 3:09 PM, Geoffrey Wong <gw@oncearound.ca> wrote:

Wow you are paranoid. Guess that's why your bike is still for sale. It might help to include your conditions of sale in your ad - would have saved me bothering. Good luck with it.

On 2013-09-01, at 11:42 AM, David Kelly <valleyhomeinspection@rogers.com> wrote:

Nope, it would be very easy for me to box up the bike and put it on a bus. What wouldn't be easy is for me to explain to my wife that I was duped out of $2200. There are just too many ways that I am aware of - never mind those that are beyond my comprehension - for a long distance deal to go sideways. Adding to the fact that I am suspicious by nature, I see the holes in your story - I won't share them with you and give you the opportunity to plug them. If you are legitimate, please accept my apologies. If you are not - and I am leaning that way, I hope that everyone you contact sees through you, and some poor sap doesn't bite it.

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-09-01, at 1:57 PM, Geoffrey Wong <gw@oncearound.ca> wrote:

Really? Is it really that much trouble to accept an interac payment and stick the bike on a bus? Too bad. It's the perfect bike for me.

On 2013-09-01, at 10:17 AM, David Kelly <valleyhomeinspection@rogers.com> wrote:

Hi Geoff - I am in London, Ontario. Due to the number of scams out there, I am accepting cash payment only when the bike is picked up or delivered. Unless you are planning a trip to London, and since I am not planning a trip to Victoria, the logistics won't work. Thanks for your interest. - Dave Kelly

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-08-30, at 9:40 PM, Geoffrey Wong <gw@oncearound.ca> wrote:

Ok, great. Can I get some more info from you? I'm in Victoria and it would have to be shipped out here. Where are you located?

I'd like to know what you can tell me about it. Are you the original owner? How many miles on it? Have you raced it? Crashes? Can I get some pictures of it? Does it have damage anywhere? You get the idea.

It's a bike for my wife and the sizing should be good. How tall are you? Thanks for your help.

Geoff

On 2013-08-29, at 6:57 PM, David Kelly <valleyhomeinspection@rogers.com> wrote:

Yes , it is!

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-08-29, at 9:35 PM, Geoffrey Wong <gw@oncearound.ca> wrote:

Hi David,

Is your bike still for sale?

Geoff
mfarnham

Re: Just trying to buy a bike for my wife's birthday...

Post by mfarnham »

That's what living in Ontario does to people. We should all count our blessings.
Martin
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Whatever. It's his loss. Not to mention, Googling his number indicates that his home inspection company rating isn't so stellar. Perhaps he should get a new line of work.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

ha! good stuff. thanks for sharing that.

you should email him back one more time with a link to this thread......
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Josh.E wrote:ha! good stuff. thanks for sharing that.

you should email him back one more time with a link to this thread......
+1