Caleb Pike #1

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

Caleb Pike #1

Post by JohnT »

The first VCL race was fun and miserable at the same time. I can sum it up with one comment - I washed my bike helmet when I got home. I don't think I've ever taken the time to do that before. 30 people signed up for the B race including a bunch from Triple Shot. I will probably miss a name or two (sorry), but among the TS entries were Brenna and Jim Pauly, Mike Dawson, Steve Lund, Ritchie, Lister and David. Al came out to offer support and there were numerous brothers-in-another-kit racers (e.g., Andrew, Roland, Kevin etc.). 16 laps for the A's (I'd guess about 14 A's in the race) and 12 laps for the B's (though I think we did more). I wasn't there when they called out the C race distance.

There were numerous incidents, though none affected our race significantly. We heard sirens but never saw the firetruck, there were several deer, but all moved off the road in time and there was an A race accident that had been cleared before we arrived on scene.

At the start Kelly from IRC picked up the pace (lots of IRC racers by the way). Not exactly an attack, but more than most would have wanted so soon. Steve and Brenna and I joined him and we did a pace-line for the length of the back straight. That, I think, had a chance, but Kelly seemed less inclined to pursue it when he realized he had three TSers with him. From there on, and from my perspective, it was a fairly fast steady pace for the entire race. Most of the pack stayed together until the end. We had a few lead A's pass us one at a time, and then with 2 laps to go, the rest (about 10 of them) went by. As often happens, they slowed to our speed about 20 m up the road. I had thought of attacking prior to their arrival and I think that would have worked because they held up the group a little (so much for good intentions). In the end, their presence helped me, but most credit goes to Ritchie. On the bell lap we, caught the A's. We did it on the run into the right hand turn at the end of the back straight. They kept right but the pass required B's to use the fairly limited line between A's on the right and center line (plus orange cones) on the left. Here is where things went well for me. Ritchie, despite being concerned about his first B race at the beginning, was strong and hammered along the run to the steep drop before the climb sprint. I was on his wheel. This effort took both of us from about 10 spots back right to the front and well clear of A's. The Ritchie bullet train slowed just a bit at the top of the hill and a couple of others who had also driven hard to the front went by. I was able to get on their wheels for the decent. Even though the drop provides enough draft for lots of people to end up at the foot of the climb together, when you are near the front of that sprinting pack, you are more likely to find a way through. Doug Doyle and I ended up sprinting for the line. Another 15 m and I might have got him. It was lots of fun having Lister, Steve, Ritchie and Mike D among the lead ten for most of the race. No team tactics came in to play, but having company still makes the race easier some how. Mike, I believe was 3rd, so two TS racers in the top 3. Not a bad start. I think Steve was within the top six and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ritchie and Lister in the top 10 - depends on what they faced in that sprint - they were there, but one slowing rider in front can put you 10 positions back.

Ride home was wet, cold and very dirty. Thanks to O2 for organizing - I thought they did a great job. In particular, they placed cones well for that final sprint discouraging the descend left-squeeze right before the first cone, tactic, that can be a problem at CP. Thanks to Brad (Zed) for building wheels for me the day before the race.

JT
rhughes

Re: Caleb Pike #1

Post by rhughes »

Wow--that was totally fun! (ok maybe the rain sucked) Here are the results http://www.duanebc.com/raceresults2013/ ... _10_13.htm

Just think what can happen when we get organized. Well done John and Mike--4 TSCers in the top 7 is a pretty good start, I think.

Ritchie
Last edited by rhughes on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

Fun race today, despite the rain. Great job by all the Tripleshot riders. Although we didnt use team tactics, I think we will be capable of using them more in future races...today I think people were riding within themselves, and getting a feel for the difficulty level. I know I felt more comfortable on a teammates wheel, and I want to thank John and Steve especially in that regard, and for staying close to the front. Richie and Lister both had strong second halfs of the race today, and it was a confidence boost all around to see them at the front late in the race. So great job everyone, looking forward to next week!
....with the help of a few absentees (cough cough), I think we can be really competitive with IRC, but they did most of the work today.
bill

Post by bill »

Congrats you all. Great results by all.

Oh, Bill here. Not sure if you remember me. I am the guy who has forgotten where he parked his bike :roll:
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Good early season results! I will be out soon enough. I always miss the first few races due to my annual fast.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

We can add Jay Lamoureux to the Tripleshot results. He was 10th, but his club doesnt show, so that makes 5 in the top 10.

I certainly didn't have the legs to make any big efforts but it was easy enough in the bunch. I agree we could do something in the way of a lead out and more attacks.

How about a beer to talk this through? I could do Wednesday night. Anyone up for the fernwood at 7?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Fun to be racing again. Nice start to the season! Congrats to all, great to see the argyle armada out in force.