New rider - 2013 racing license purchase

Moderator: mfarnham

Curran

New rider - 2013 racing license purchase

Post by Curran »

I've ridden a bunch with the group, and want to get into racing this coming season, both road and cyclocross. Going to by the Cycling BC license, but confused about which category I should buy. I'm 34, so seem to elliglible for Masters or Elite at Cat 4 as a beginer, and want the full UCI/CAA license.
Can someone please explain why I should pick Masters or Elite? Also, is cyclocross covered under the road license, or another category I'm not seeing on their website?
wonger

Re: New rider - 2013 racing license purchase

Post by wonger »

I don't fully understand it either, so I anticipate that someone else will chime in here. I do know that a road license has included cyclocross the last two years - i don't think that will change. And I would think that Masters would be more appropriate for someone new to racing rather than Elite. Elite is always harder. Wait a minute - I'm thinking masters so maybe you should go with Elite...
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

As far as I know, to participate in the VCL and other races in the area it doesn't really matter which one you choose. Most of the races I have done have categorized riders by ability level (A, B, C or cat. 1, cat. 2 etc.) rather than Elite and Masters.

The BC Masters Cycling Association races are separated into age groups, but all you need is a valid CyclingBC license. It doesn't matter if it's Elite or Masters. To race in the BCMCA race series you must pay an annual membership fee or pay-per-race IN ADDITION TO holding a valid CyclingBC license.

Cyclocross racing is covered by the road race license.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Only been racing since 1974. How would I know?

Seriously, as you can see licensing is an odd animal; categories are often ignored as Stephane mentioned. As far as I can tell, the main reason to get an elite license, is if you want to collect upgrade points, and for provincial championships. If you have elite, they won't let you in masters (I don't think). Unless it's a leap year. Or you ask nice.

I kid not: at the AGM last weekend, when someone asked what happened to one day licenses, the president said they did away with them, then someone else said MTB was selling them all year. :?

They will however upgrade you from citizen to cat 4 with the difference in the price. So if you're not sure about racing that might be a good way to go.

I believe from buying last year 'cross is a free upgrade when you buy a road license. But you have to go 97 steps into the online purchasing maze, then commit your firstborn to know for sure.

Good luck.

Edit: found this on their FAQ:
You should choose the category that you would most likely enter at National Championships, if you were to enter it. So if you would enter a National Championship event as a Master rider, you should choose a UCI category of Master.
http://cyclingbc.net/cycling-bc/members ... rades-faq/

I take it all back. Clear as day.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
AndreaR

Post by AndreaR »

Lister,
I just found this on the membership and license faq page:

"Single Event License This license is intended for people who aren’t members of Cycling BC who do not have a UCI International license or Citizen license. It is sold during onsite race registration or package pick-up. This license is valid only for the event for which it was purchased for."

So I guess that answers the one-day license question.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

AndreaR wrote:Lister,
I just found this on the membership and license faq page:

"Single Event License This license is intended for people who aren’t members of Cycling BC who do not have a UCI International license or Citizen license. It is sold during onsite race registration or package pick-up. This license is valid only for the event for which it was purchased for."

So I guess that answers the one-day license question.
Yes I know. It was just an example of cycling bc being unclear. Even it's own officers.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

What's a UCI category of master mean?

The UCI rules are delightfully contradictory on masters age categories.

In this set for the UCI World Tour:
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... c&LangId=1
15.5.014 The championships are normally organised in 5 year age-groups: 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, etc. Depending on the number of participants per age group, the group may be divided into age groups of less than 5 years or grouped with an age category adjacent to the category in question, in which case a single overall classification shall be drawn up.
15.5.015 No event shall be run specifically for any age category unless there are 6 starters. However, there shall always be at least 2 age categories for each event.
lol

So provinces make stuff up.

Five categories in Ontario; 3 men's 1, 2, 3 by ability, and two women's by age, 30-39, and 40+. Plus 11 mtb categories, in 10 year age groups and expert and sport for each. A guy could get rich selling medals to those guys.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
katew

Post by katew »

My head is going to explode.

Honestly, it's easier to balance a 14h/week training load across three sports, seven days, two sets of heart rate zones, three bikes, and a double-peaked season.

I'll stick with Triathlon.
kateweber.com
Curran

Post by Curran »

Glad to see its not just confusing to me! Thanks for the guidance; bought my Masters license and looking forward to bones healing so I can get back out on the road and ready for the racing season!
Winthropl

Post by Winthropl »

The BC Masters Cycling Association races are separated into age groups, but all you need is a valid CyclingBC license. It doesn't matter if it's Elite or Masters. To race in the BCMCA race series you must pay an annual membership fee or pay-per-race IN ADDITION TO holding a valid CyclingBC license.
we provided some good broadheads with cheapest prices
Jimmy49

Post by Jimmy49 »

I'm really not sure about all the licensing requirements but, as I'm not concerned with UCI points, I've been buying the inexpensive "Citizen license" for $45.00 and paying the (what is it $10 or $20?) for each Master's race (could and should buy the annual license). This gets me into all the VCl races and as many Master's events I can make it to for very reasonable $$.