Caleb Pike Race Report

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

Caleb Pike Race Report

Post by JohnT »

Just a short version so people know what happened.

Beautiful evening. No hail, no rain, no leg warmers. 20 laps for the A's and 15 for the B's. TS represented by Joe, Gavin and I. We all ran well - near the front for most of the race. There were several crashes. Two right beside me. One, like last year, said he was on the inside as we dropped into a right hand turn. I gave him room, but that's not the line to take. He touched a pedal and went down. Amazing that he didn't take anyone else out - we were at the front at the time. In the final sprint up the hill Annie went down and cracked a brand new Trek Madone frame. That happened next to me too. Don't think I played a role - it was a typical scene were lots of people tried to squeeze into a tight space on their way up the final climb. You may remember that Bill got squeezed onto the shoulder in the same place earlier this year.

Casey Ryder wins the award for most aggressive racer. Always running off the front. He also won the race. Well done. Gavin will challenge Peter for the 'locomotive' title. He was in front a lot and gave Joe and I an amazing lead out on the last lap. I feel bad for placing 9th given that I was delivered to the base of the climb in second place. Problm was; I ran out of gears! Gavin's lead out must have been at about 55 Km/hr. Right when I should have been going past, I spun out behind him. Joe made the most of it and finished 3rd - he's climbing up the standings fast.

Craig Logan, the teenager with Aviawest that kicked our asses all season last year, won the A race.

JT
Roland

Post by Roland »

Nice work guys. I just looked at the pictures, looked like a good turnout. Shame about the crash, Annie has the worst luck.

Next week is Newton, and I'll be there for sure.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
majorjake

Post by majorjake »

John T let's not forget about the 42 year old Mike Korb that was in the break with Craig logan for almost the entire race. They were up by over 2 mins on the entire A group.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

That two-rider break started on lap one or two. A long time to stay away from a pack of As. They were both amazing - and he's 42!

Come to think of it, the A chase group never did lap the B's and we were out for 15 laps. It shows you that things are heating up in the VCL. Having said that, the pace this morning was as fast as the B group pace on Wednesday. Anyone who hung in there this morning could compete on Wednesdays. Even the chase group was flying with Lister at the helm. Peter - are you listening? Don't spend too much time in the pubs.

JT