Croix de Fer

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Brian S

Croix de Fer

Post by Brian S »

Taken late on Monday afternoon, riding my flea market purchase Peugeot (take note Mike Lawless). I bought the bike for 80 euro, adjusted the seat, and yes that is the lowest the stem can go, and road it around the hills of province (not THAT one), and up and down the coastal roads and cols around Nice. On Monday, I began my marathon of driving from Genoa back to London to start my sabbatical. I stopped in the alps in a valley that lets you choose between the Galibier, Croix de Fer, Glandon, and the Madeline. I chose to climb the Croix de Fer, and then descend the Glandon in a loop. 28 km of climbing, mostly it seemed at 8-10% with a couple of brief respites. Cold but clear and beuatiful at the top. An absolutely terrifying descent. Not to justify anything, but when you think about climbing 2 or 3 of these alpine passes in a 220 km day (mine was 70), you almost understand 'why' riders may seek some edge either physically or mentally. By the way, it was after the Croix de Fer, and then climbing to the ski area of La Tuissire, that Landis 'bonked!'
Attachments
Col de Croix de Fer. Self portrait with iPhone
Col de Croix de Fer. Self portrait with iPhone
My flea market Peugeot. Alpes Mediterranee
My flea market Peugeot. Alpes Mediterranee
Last edited by Brian S on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tutto il rosa della vita
FairweatherMike

Re: Croix de Fer

Post by FairweatherMike »

Pretty nice ride for 80 Euros - and with that special custom stem that looks like it was designed for Magic Johnson, spending all day in the drops is no big deal!

Brian's post already has me dreaming of Haute Route 2014 (I've been promised "something special" as a b-day present that year, and two years of prep might just be enough). Next spring I'll inquire again as to which TS'ers want to put together a team...
Mike Skinner
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Brian,
With the oddity of that stem height and bar tape on that old classic along with the beard and strained look on your face, I'm pretty sure you've nailed the Euro-Classical Cycling tourist thing. Tell us your not sporting a Canadian flag and taken up smoking un-filtered cigarettes!?
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Great bike, Brian. I'm sure you're getting lots of respect on the cols. No better way to ride la Croix de Fer than atop un vélo de fer! Good luck in London.

Mike: I'm planning on spending my summer in Switzerland in 2014, and I also have a milestone b-day that year to justify exceptional expenditures/risk-taking. :P So keep me in your loop!
EricS

Post by EricS »

Awesome work Brian. Much envy over here.

Cool bike! Is that a triple I see? If so, I like it. Great idea for those 10% + climbs.

Eric
Eric Simonson