270km this saturday

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

gab

270km this saturday

Post by gab »

I'm thinking of doing the 270km vic gran fondo route this Saturday, if anyone else is interested.

http://www.victoriagranfondo.com/page/route-map

Early start.

I'll probably go counter-clockwise to avoid descending the Malahat when I'm dead tired. Also, I have a nice bail-out option in Sooke if I can't make the last 30km.

Any tips, suggestions, or travelling companions welcome.
John D

Re: 270km this saturday

Post by John D »

Hi Gab...would love to join you, as it's a spectacular route, but unfortunately I can't free up a whole day this weekend. As for riding it counter-clockwise, I don't really have any thoughts on that, other than to note that everyone I know who has ridden the route (including me) did so in the clockwise direction, ending with the 'Hat.

Perhaps Mark Ford might have some thoughts on the logistics of one direction versus the other? I hear he does this loop before breakfast some mornings. :wink:

John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
glenowyn

Post by glenowyn »

Hi Gab

I just did this route clock wise on Sunday. The highway from Lake Cowichan to Duncan is crappy, but I wasn't feeling to good at the point. Going to Port Renfrew I forgot that its all sea air. It was really windy, cold and foggy, and pay attention, big deer and mink appear suddenly and I got stung by bee.
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

I was thinking of trying this in August as my "epic ride of the summer" (devoting a full day to cycling requires, uh, some negotiation and planning). Also, I bumped into Kim Gard at MEC the other day and she confirmed there will be no "Ride the Cow" fundraiser this year. Too bad - it was a good time last summer. (Thanks for all you did to make it happen, Kim)

So in the absence of a large organized splash with support vehicles and BBQ, it would be fun to see who wants to give it a go, say, on Aug. 18 or thereabouts.

And I like the idea of a counterclockwise route to enjoy the ride from a different perspective, especially the long grind (or in this case, descent) south of Lake Cowichan. Plus, if you have a leisurely lunch in Cowichan, there's a good chance you'd have an afternoon tailwind for the Port Renfrew to Victoria segment.
Mike Skinner
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

glenowyn wrote:Hi Gab

The highway from Lake Cowichan to Duncan is crappy,
Glen (et al). Agree the highway is terrible. Take the old road.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=dunc ... 2&t=m&z=14
Tutto il rosa della vita
gab

Post by gab »

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

No bee stings. A late start and a couple wrong turns, but overall a success.

Ended up being 285km, over 13.5 hours. Not setting any speed records, but I'm just happy I made it through.

Hats off to all you crazy randonneurs. I think I definitely found my limit.
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

Hey Gab, that is your limit for now!! Just don't tell Mark Ford or he'll have you out there doing 300 and 600s in no time!

Did you do this on your own or did you have company? Crazy!!
Barton Bourassa
Krostini

Post by Krostini »

Nice work Gab! And Glen the question of the day is sting shming, did you DRAFT behind that bee?
glenowyn

Post by glenowyn »

the bee got underneath my sunglasses and stung me under the eye, so I was not able to draft off of it. I guess I fail