WTB: Wheelset for Winter Bike

post all stuff wanted and for sale here

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Any suggestions? Obviously I am looking for cheap, strong and light and dont want to pick just 2 of those!
Lister Farrar

Re: WTB: Wheelset for Winter Bike

Post by Lister Farrar »

For sheer longevity and repairability 32 spokes, shimano hubs and mavic open pro rims are good. No limit to their life if you have a good local wheelbuilder. Probably $350ish

I heard velonews tech editors buy Neuvation wheels in quantity to test tires and bikes to control for the wheels being a variable, including for cross. $250ish.

I also get the owners newsletter which is funny and he sounds like he knows what hes talking about. Gavin has a pair of these wheels so they've been moose/torture tested. I think he did break a spoke but I believe they sent him replacements fairly promptly.

I haven't bought them because I have the first option with replaceable parts, so I do that. You can get the spokes, rims and bearings for Neuvation too. Good online reviews. I have recommended them to the juniors.

Pros: good reviews, cheap, moderate weight, parts available (a weakness of proprietary wheels)

Cons: Heavier than zeds, not built locally, maybe ask Gavin about whether he could get service locally. Shipping? But Gavin got a whole bike shipped here somehow.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

I have had Neuvation wheels on my winter bike for a couple of seasons. They are cheap and not too heavy (1600g or so). I have not had to true them at all since I bought them, but I have had to replace my cartridge bearings a few times, but for $6 a set, that hasn't been a big deal. Also, after 2 years of riding through all kinds of weather my rims are pretty worn, but I guess that's to be expected.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

ZED.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
John D

Post by John D »

Hey there...in case anyone is still looking for a good deal on a winter wheelset, check the following "inventory reduction" offer from Neuvation:

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product ... k-1500.htm

I don't know how many they have left at the clearance price, but it's a great deal. Just took delivery of a set for my re-built CRR2 winter bike.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
AlW

Post by AlW »

Plawless wrote:Any suggestions? Obviously I am looking for cheap, strong and light and dont want to pick just 2 of those!
I don't think you have a choice. You can never get all three. Cheap is also relative so you may have to clarify that one a little more.....

As for wheels, I really like the Diablo SL's from Brad. Had a set since February and still dead true. I know Kevin F. had a set as well and don't recall hearing of any problems from him. There are quite a few tripleshotters who ride these wheels, so you should be able to get lots of feedback on them. pretty light at 1420g/set and in the $400-$500 range, so relatively cheap as well.

MEC also sells a DT swiss wheelset. Cheap ($375/set), strong (28/32 spoke count) but a tad hefty (1760 grams).
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I also have a set of ZED Hurricane SL's at just under 1500 g's that are easily strong enough. However, I just put them away for the winter and back to my old Mavic's for the crummy conditions.
EricS

Post by EricS »

Some guy over at ZED Wheels just took a 12 year old pair of Campy Chourus hubs I had and built them into a pair of 32 spoke, 3 cross, butted spokes, alloy nipples. Just over 1600 grams and only $260 for the pair. They are lighter than the open 4's they replace, and stronger. Their sales department even hand delivered the wheels to me at Sunday's race.

Not a light-weight set, but I'm 200 lbs, so I need strong wheels.

If you have a set of hubs lying around, this is a great option.

Eric
Eric Simonson