Saturday June 2, Long Range Ride Planning

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Saturday June 2, Long Range Ride Planning

Post by barton bourassa »

I am going to tackle the Malahat, all the way around Shawnigan Lake (right in the village instead of left), up and over Goldstream and back down the Malahat on Saturday. Anyone interested in tagging along or leading the way? 6 AM start from Douglas St. Starbucks across from Mayfair? Should be a good training ride for anyone doing the Ryder ride on the 24th of June.
Barton Bourassa
MWhiticar

Re: Saturday June 2, Long Range Ride Planning

Post by MWhiticar »

Barton,

Sounds good. You could twist my arm on Friday for an definitive yes...I'll promise not to rib you...

Michael
barton bourassa

I forgot to mention that as usual there are three or four places along the way that we all wait up and form up our group again. There is a nice coffee shop on Shawnigan Lake Road just after the left hand turn off of the highway. Then we form up again before the climb up and over Goldstream. Wait again before coming back. And at Shawnigan Lake Road for the ride home. If you are a B type rider, minus or regular, and you have put in a few long rides in the recent past, this should be very doable. Come on out! It'll fun! Rain or Shine.
Barton Bourassa
AndreaR

Post by AndreaR »

Hi Barton, I won't be able to make it this week, but do you plan on doing this somewhat regularly? I'd like to do this route, but I'm really nervous about the Malahat - riding with others makes me feel better. Also, as a weaker climber, should I even try to tackle this with the group? I don't want everyone to wait forever for me!!
barton bourassa

PM sent to Andrea but the jist of it is if you have done some of the longer Sunday rides with the group this should be doable. I do not want to discourage anyone from trying this as a first timer but it is a fairly intense ride. Probably 110 K and 4 hours plus of saddle time (half hour less for the As!). If you have not done any Sunday rides or other long rides (80+K), you might want to try a few Sunday rides first. We will likely be doing the Malahat and Goldstream a number of times this summer so there will be plenty of opportunity to takle this.

If you do decide to come out for the challenge, don't worry, as per Tripleshot protocol, no rider is left behind! We will make sure you are not riding alone!

See you Saturday!
Barton Bourassa
MWhiticar

Post by MWhiticar »

Barton,

Of course I forgot that the Tea Party, etc. is on Saturday with attendant family duties ... how could I forget. :oops:

Is there any appetite for the Malahat ride on Sunday morning instead?

Michael
barton bourassa

Mike, the Tea Party is all day! You'll be back by 11 man! I am flying to Ottawa on Sunday, very early! So for me Saturday is the day.
Barton Bourassa
wonger

Post by wonger »

Michael come by for cinnamon buns and coffee at our house Saturday. You'll want to get here early to get a good seat!
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Is that an open invitation Geoff? Sounds like a nice tradition.

JT
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

I am in to the Malahat summit only, need to be home by 9 at the latest. Who else is riding?
Paula

Post by Paula »

I might, it all depends on how my son sleeps tonight.

We have t-ball tomorrow and will need to be home by 11:30 at the latest... is that doable? I will post in the morning if I am going, so please wait if I am... since I will have to ride ALL that way out to mayfair mall (I am told I need a passport to go there) to even start the ride.. what's with that?

thanks

Paula
barton bourassa

Hi Paula. 11:30 is doable. It will be tight but doable.
Barton Bourassa
Paula

Post by Paula »

I hope all who went had a good ride. It was a very rough night for the poor little guy (and mom and dad!)

Hay siempre manana! (There is always tomorrow).

Paula
barton bourassa

Sorry to hear your young one is not doing well Paula. I hope you can get out to ride tomorrow.

I am beginning to wonder, is it me or what? I showed up at the coffee shop, with a bit of rain falling and dark clouds in the eastern sky. At 6, Greg arrives, at 6:11 Greg and I leave. That was it! Just the two of us. On the highway, Nathaniel caught up with us (buddy of Greg's) and the three of us climbed to the Malahat summit where after a brief rest, Greg headed back to town. Nat and I continued on to Shawnigan Lk Rd and went around the lake where Nat pealed off to go visit folks that live in the area. I started the climb up the the start of Goldstream Heights. Up and over and down to the ridge, but not up the ridge! Then back again and home. I made it back to Cafe Fantastico on the Goose at 10:35. 110 K in 4 hours and 13 seconds of saddle time. I am still vibrating!
Barton Bourassa
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Sorry Barton. It's not you, it's me.