LATORIA May 2...A,B,C, "its just a fun RACE"

Moderator: mfarnham

Paul C.

LATORIA May 2...A,B,C, "its just a fun RACE"

Post by Paul C. »

Way to go, Tripleshot ladies in the C race...especially first timers: Andrea,Vanessa and Kris...and thanks to Jen for pushing the pace at times.

Why is there 8 hills ?? Where is a flat bike race? When do I get my award for the oldest participant in all three races?? When is the next race?? I'm in!!

And it was a great feeling riding out together with about a dozen Tripleshot members,and most of the Procity and Russ Hays Teams, and a few others. And thanks to Mark Ford and everyone else for your support....
.We Rock ! pc.
JohnT

Re: LATORIA May 2...A,B,C, "its just a fun RACE"

Post by JohnT »

My race was 'enlightening'. The corners seem to be a mere inconvenience for the A racers, a moment when one leans over to the right. Very little, or no, braking and rarely a hesitation with the pedaling. It's exciting. There's a competent aggressiveness. No polite lining up in single file as you approach the corner - find a line and fly threw, but leave room for that guy on the inside or outside. Exciting! But, no recovery time either. That's what killed me after 4.5 laps. I only knew I'd made it to 4.5 laps by checking the counter when I was alone (9 laps to go). The previous runs past the line were just a blur - crest the hill and tuck down as low as possible to draft down the hill. After losing the group my aim was to stay ahead of the B's and I almost made it. I got a bit of help from the A's as they lapped me - one more lap in the draft and then I was off the back again. The B's passed me just after they got the bell.

Needless to say, I finished last. But it was still a great race. Doesn't mean I am staying in A, but I have a new perspective. I don't know how the organizers would feel about this, but for TS B's not racing for points (i.e., anyone who can sacrifice points for time to time), an A race might be a great shot in the arm.

JT
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

We had a good turn out for TS C's with a handful of new recruits. Nice to have a few familiar kits to work with and the teams were much better balanced as far as numbers. We had a ragtag type of plan going at the start and each of us gave it a try. Jen sat in right where she should in the front half while Paul, David and myself took turns movng to the front and keeping the pace up and keeping Jen in place. David had a short break away which didn't draw anyone out with him but certainly had the field mixing for strategy. Paul had a few runs through the pack as we tried to organize a lead out. I did manage to get in front to lead Jen on the bell lap and we had it working fairly well until the A's + B's came around and we had to slow to an almost crawl letting them by at the corner. This left the back of our group jumping when the other groups cleared which really scrambled our strategy. From where I was it looked like a couple of the O2 guys etc jumped onto the draft of the B group on the final straight and the uphill finish. Not sure about that and I think Jen still had a good run at the end.
I wound up with, what I felt was a strong effort and much better finish. The new gals all seemed to have a very good first race and were in "wide eyed" contact for the most part. The next races are much better as you'll have a much better idea what to expect as far as pace and overall effort needed to the end. Keep it up and congrats on your courage to try it. See you ALL at the next race!!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Another good attempt at getting things organzied in the B race. Andrew, myself and Gavin were wheels 1, 2, and 3 on the bell lap. Andrew did a monster pull to set the pace and coming on to Latoria I kicked for 200m with the plan to have Gav take the lead and me take his wheel. All 3 of us communicated well throughout the entire race. However I couldn't get on Gavin's wheel - coming beside me he had the IRC train tight on and he just couldn't come across on to my front wheel enough for me to get on. A few friendly elbows and then I had to concede to the wind and 6 or 7 riders. I was able to kick for 7th but not what I wanted or what the 3 of us were gunning for. Needless to say there's a steep learning curve for me here (this season being my first on the road) and each week I am picking up something new tactically to aid in my efforts. I'm not sure where other finished but kudos to all who raced.

Oh, and Brian and I knocked handlebars once - ironically the 2 guys who both had spills recently almost took each other out of the race. wtf were we doing? At least we stayed upright.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

John T ,Trevor and Jimmy : Thanks for those great reports and some good tips and insites into this crazy, exciting sport.... for "newbies" like me.
Next Week, for us racer types : Tuesday T.T. and Newton Heights ???, pc
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Humm.... seems to be some controversy in the finishing placements of some of the C group. Not sure what's up but we have some scoring issues...
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

For those that don't surf between the VCl page and this forum (hourly :oops: ), you might be interested to learn that almost 80 people raced last night. Amazing to see such a turn out - big fields in A, B, and C and among those, lots of women.

Let's have another get together to talk team tactics. I can host it again. If we keep it short (1 - 1.5 hrs), maybe Sat. early evening? Then we can practice on Sun.

Also, even though they've moved on (at least as far as their kit is concerned) I think we can take pride in the fact that Dylan and Adam got their start/early encouragement with TS. They put on a fantastic performance last night, not to mention their respective successes internationally.

JT
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm up for meeting and chatting but can only get free for 8pm. If this works count me in.
BearPope Recruit

Post by BearPope Recruit »

I'm interested in learning and understanding race tactics/strategy so please let me know if anything comes together to meet.

Cheers, Jen
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It was a good try but didn't work out on Wednesday. Good news is we get another try next week :!: . I would be interested in meeting on Saturday depending on the time.