Keep your head up the RCMP are watching !!

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

norman marcy

Keep your head up the RCMP are watching !!

Post by norman marcy »

An important warning
distributed by Sidney-Velo

FYI:

In a recent email dialogue with a Sidney/North Saanich RCMP officer (on a separate but cycling related issue), I was provided with the following comments:

---------------------------------------------------------

On another issue, I wanted to pass on some information to your various cycling groups.

I've been getting a higher than normal amount of complaints from motorists about cyclists. The usual stuff, cycling two abreast, cyclists using their cell phones while cycling and blowing stops signs. Now I can tell you that I have personally witnessed all of the above mentioned offences. Most of the time I take a common sense approach and deal with the cyclists with warnings.

The most noticeable issue I have is when a group of cyclists on mass blow stop signs almost as if the stop sign doesn't exist, for example: southbound East Saanich Rd at Panorama Rec Centre, East Saanich Rd at McTavish Rd and on Lochside Dr at the McTavish traffic circle bypass.

One of our keen officers stopped a pack of about 20 cyclists for doing this and verbally warned all of them.

Anyhow, keep your head up and don't get hit!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I’m sending this out only for purposes of communication and awareness-raising.

Regards,

Colin Franks.
cashman

Re: Keep your head up the RCMP are watching !!

Post by cashman »

As always we are our own worst enemy.........
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"
Jimmy

Re: Keep your head up the RCMP are watching !!

Post by Jimmy »

So for all of us relatively new to group riding, what's the protocol? We all understand that stopping at stop signs makes sense and it's the law but we also want to keep rolling when possible. With 10-15 riders trailing and we hit the two stop signs in Cadboro Bay, I'm a little reluctant to try and stop the group unless there's traffic to contend with. As unsafe as it is to not-stop, it's also a bit of a cluster-mess to stop and go when it's clear at 6:30am.
I'm not trying to ope a huge debate but just wanting to know what to expect for our group rides.