Cornering workout partners wanted for sat and Sun

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Cornering workout partners wanted for sat and Sun

Post by Lister Farrar »

The Tuesday cornering workout suggested jnrs need more of this before facing packs in criteriums at Walla Walla and at Windsor april 22. We'd like to do more sat and sun 6 and 630 (sleep in day!) The more the merrier and it means we can marshal corners (to warn us of a car, not stop traffic) by taking brief turns at a corner to watch. We'll brush up on cornering tips and then do drills like leaving and closing gaps, lead outs and sprints. Riders should have pack riding experience and preferably the Group Riding Skills cornering session. B level or higher. Essentially we want to duplicate some bunch racing situations in corners for the jnrs, but it will also work for others seeking group cornering experience.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
barton bourassa

Re: Cornering workout partners wanted for sat and Sun

Post by barton bourassa »

I would like to be there Sunday. Was that 6:30 on Sunday?
Barton Bourassa
Brently_G

Post by Brently_G »

What time are you planning to start and where are you planning to meet on Sunday?
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Big thanks to Al Wilhelm and Evan Carey who came This am at 6 and played the bunch for jnrs Alex and David. Actually Evan is a junior still, but has already pretty good at corners so came mainly to help. We did 5-6 pieces at moderately high intensity, with a drill to practice closing gaps. Alex and David both made quantum leaps in timing and confidence. Al and Evan towed us around at 35 kph + while I let a gap open that Alex and David had to close by passing inside me and getting back on. Noticeable improvement in seeing the gap sooner and going for the short route inside me.

630 Sunday. Meet at windsor park NE corner. Please remember to keep voices low; dont want to make it hard for the Wheelers Oak Bay to get race permits.

Emphasis on positioning to attack, bridge, lead out and sprint, vs the more defensive/conserving orientation today.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4