Barry's Roubaix

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Barry's Roubaix

Post by Plawless »

Good luck to Josh and everyone else racing in Vancouver this morning. After a great winter of training here's hoping Josh can channel Tommeke!!!

Looking forward to a race report or two.
Plawless

Re: Barry's Roubaix

Post by Plawless »

Kudos to Josh for taking 4th at Barry's Roubaix. Well done! Also a shout out to Kevin Ford for 13th in what is notorious for being a hard, hard race.

Peter
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Thanks Peter

Things didn't go exactly as planned as we lost half our team in a crash mid-race. As a team, we had been letting the break of the day dangle, but without full firepower we got a bit caught out and weren't able to bring them back. I ended up in a bike toss for the pack sprint for 3rd place, and had no idea at the finish if I came in 3rd or 4th. Ended up being 4th by centimeters.

The day before I crashed on the gravel when I hit a pothole on a course recon pre-ride. Had to spend 2 1/2 hours getting 4 stitches in the back of my left hand and gravel picked out of all the cuts.
Racing the next day on those hands was not fun, to say the least, and to top it all off I got stung in the eyebrow by a wasp during the race.

A couple pics of my hands in the hotel room right after the race.

The new course is really cool, feels very rural and "sping-classic"y. The 3rd pick below of Tom from our team perfectly captures the feel of the race. I liked it even better than the previous Barry's roubiax course, which had the airport along one side. 5.5km of every 10km lap is on the gravel on the dyke, and about 2km of that was newly put down and very loose, so it ended up being very decisive. Not much drafting, you had to pretty much be able to match power to stay with the rider in front of you. Guys who can push a big gear smoothly seem to do the best. As a result by the last lap, the race had been whittled down from about 45-50 starters to 2 leaders 50 seconds or so off the front and a chase group of 8, which I ended up in.
Attachments
tom-roubaix.jpg
roubaix_hands_2.jpg
roubaix hands.jpg
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Well done Josh! Those hand injuries earn you triple hard-man points.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I hear people are calling him the Canadian Jens Voigt :P
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
steve

Post by steve »

Ouch, nice job Kevin and Josh. I remember seeing the pics from
last year - the dirt on one riders face looked like a full grown beard - epic race!

Steve
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Nice work Josh!
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

jeremy wrote:I hear people are calling him the Canadian Jens Voigt :P
Jens Voigt is the German Josh Erickson.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Nice work Josh and thanks for the race report!

What's next on your calendar?
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Quentin wrote:Nice work Josh and thanks for the race report!

What's next on your calendar?
Thanks Man. Race the Ridge on the 28th and 29th is the next target. Couple of VCL's in there in the mean time for training.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

That looks painful - great job Josh and Kevin. Others interested in the Maple Ridge race? We could join the Pro City guys and form a not-so-obvious Van. Island team. Hey Dylan, what about the Russ Hayes guys too?!

JT