Kona jake the Snake 54?

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Kona jake the Snake 54?

Post by Lister Farrar »

Alex Grant is considering switching cross frames to a used 54 Jake the Snake. Anyone have one this size she could try for size before we commit? It's not in town to sit on, and I think it's a bit cheesy to go into a store to try a bike with no intention of buying.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
jeremy

Re: Kona jake the Snake 54?

Post by jeremy »

I have a 56, if that'll help. And if the shop has one already build in the store, just go in and try it out, I don't think that's in bad taste at all.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

....cheesy....
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

leftcoaster wrote:....cheesy....
what are you saying?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

what are you saying?
Just saying it's a little cheesy to go to a store and try out a bike you have zero intention/interest in purchasing to assist in purchasing a bike from another source.
jj12

Post by jj12 »

I would do it..if its going to save me some cash.
John D

Post by John D »

leftcoaster wrote:
what are you saying?
Just saying it's a little cheesy to go to a store and try out a bike you have zero intention/interest in purchasing to assist in purchasing a bike from another source.

Not cheesy at all. When looking for a car, most people know what they intend to buy, but still try out the competition just to be safe...so, car dealerships fully expect most of their "test drives" to not result in a sale. Same holds for bike shops. They assume we're just shopping....that's why theit floor models all have dirty tires. D'uh.

JD.

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
wonger

Post by wonger »

Total cheese. If you expect your local bike shop to offer you decent prices on tires, bikes, whatever, you should support them. If you want to buy stuff on line, do it on your own time, accept the risks and deal with the issues. Your local bike shop is not there to ensure your mail order bike fits. Cheese-monger.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Which brings me back to needing a 54 for Alex to sit on to see if the replacement will fit. Anyone?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Doesn't Kona publish their frame specs? I think they are here:

http://www.konaworld.com/cx.cfm?content ... he_snake#2

Two key measurements for fit, when comparing to your road bike:

1. SO - Stand Over height. Should be same as road or a bit less, but not higher.
2. TT - top tube length. Expect 2 cm shorter than your road bike.

Not much else to really go by 'on paper'. If those two measurements fall within range, everything else should be able to be adjusted for a good fit.

From what I recall, the Jake frame is pretty much road-size less two cm for most people. So, if a 56cm is the usual for road, chances are the 54cm Jake will fit.

BTW, nothing cheesy about trying out a product. And anyone that has to earn their money would understand that someone can't afford a new bike all the time. But, with the right attitude, getting someone on a brand that you sell, whether it's used or new from you, might mean a downstream sale, if the customer falls in love with the brand. So, I doubt a dealer with any sense towards building a customer base would be annoyed by this.

We have several issues at play with the bike industry in Canada... the foremost of which is that distributors charge way too much to dealers. This often starts by the manufacturer charging extra to the Canadian distributors. If you have a beef with the higher prices we pay at our LBS.. you can blame the manufacturers and the distributors. This isn't unique to the bike industry. One only flip over the back of a book or magazine to see the effect.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

4827north wrote:Doesn't Kona publish their frame specs? I think they are here:

http://www.konaworld.com/cx.cfm?content ... he_snake#2

Two key measurements for fit, when comparing to your road bike:

1. SO - Stand Over height. Should be same as road or a bit less, but not higher.
2. TT - top tube length. Expect 2 cm shorter than your road bike.

Not much else to really go by 'on paper'. If those two measurements fall within range, everything else should be able to be adjusted for a good fit.

From what I recall, the Jake frame is pretty much road-size less two cm for most people. So, if a 56cm is the usual for road, chances are the 54cm Jake will fit.

BTW, nothing cheesy about trying out a product. And anyone that has to earn their money would understand that someone can't afford a new bike all the time. But, with the right attitude, getting someone on a brand that you sell, whether it's used or new from you, might mean a downstream sale, if the customer falls in love with the brand. So, I doubt a dealer with any sense towards building a customer base would be annoyed by this.

We have several issues at play with the bike industry in Canada... the foremost of which is that distributors charge way too much to dealers. This often starts by the manufacturer charging extra to the Canadian distributors. If you have a beef with the higher prices we pay at our LBS.. you can blame the manufacturers and the distributors. This isn't unique to the bike industry. One only flip over the back of a book or magazine to see the effect.
Agreee on all points. Our thinking is the same with Alex, but I made the mistake of getting her a 56, same as her road bike, just before she went east to gravel roads in the summer, so had no time to swap it. Alex's 56 road bike has tons of seat post, but the 56 Cannondale cross bike is quite a bit too big, tall and long. And I think it's best if she actually feels the improvement before we ask her to go through the swap.

Sizes are very variable. I ride a 56 Ridley, and Chris Macleod, (4 inches shorter?) just got a 58 norco with lots of seat post out. My old custom steel bikes are 62 with lots of seat post! :)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)