Lumber Cross- Cross on the Rock in Port Alberni

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Lumber Cross- Cross on the Rock in Port Alberni

Post by Lister Farrar »

You could label this one the race that people crashed in, but liked anyway. A technical course with a long section of very mountain bike-like single track, with mud, roots, and steep drops, saw most people I talked to fall at least once.

Among the juniors, David grabbed too much front brake on the big drop and endo'd, landing on his arm and losing interest in racing. No big injury though. Brenna likewise had a hard fall, landing hard after slipping in the mud, twisting bars and brake levers and her usual drive to ride. She's talking about some more mountain biking though, so it must have been ok. 8)

Farisha fell even more, maybe 5-6 times, but her Dad says "she loved it". Sicko cross racers eh?

Quentin was not quite so thrilled with the crash fest, but switched gears to do results for the masters race after his. (Thanks Quentin. and Roland and Katie who also did results.)

Evan Carey was 9th intermediate men despite his frankenbike gears acting up. And get this, his derailleur was not one of the straightened ones. Those all worked great. :shock: ). Duncan flatted (something else that was common today; Adam de Vos had at least two flats), but got a wheel change and finished well. Alex rode smoothly to 8th intermediate woman, and I don't think had any falls, but had at least one beauty of a sideways slide round a gravel corner near the pit, without even unclipping to bring it straight.

I gave Jenn a scare in the hurdles, as I tried to pass her on foot. I lost my grip with my left hand in mid-hurdle and flew my bike like a kite from the right hand. Barely managed to not take her head off. Then 100 metres later, had a head-on-brake-lever-to-brake-lever collision with another guy who drifted into the same tape (the section called called the "Intestine"), but from opposite direction. No injury, but twisted the brake levers and got generally tangled in caution tape, losing 5 or 6 places. All in front of Jenn. It was that kind of day. She might be looking for a larger time gap between women and masters starts next race...

http://www.crossontherock.com/php/race- ... ters%20Men
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
norman marcy

Re: Lumber Cross- Cross on the Rock in Port Alberni

Post by norman marcy »

IT WAS FUN! let me emphasize it was FUN !

As a group of mostly Road riders TS crew did very well on a challenging track set out with a distinct mountain bike flavour Those who found it most challenging also learned a great deal and hopefully will apply that next time out

across the categories you could observe those with the most mountain bike experience were doing very well, This i think was pronounced in the beginner and intermediate categories

the vibe of the race and the event were great . for the past few years i have been avoiding road racing as i was finding it too stressful. I did not have any butterflies this time and was relaxed ( until Quinten pulled out of the Intermediate race) but even then got into a zen around riding clean laps and concentrating on finishing .. and all was well

Norm T. and the Alberni Single Speeders did a great job setting up and running the event . As Lister has pointed out the results reporting and production are in large part the very diligent work of Katie and Roland a tip of the cap to both of you

the cafe on site served up some great food and the drive in in Town makes a great burger and shake .
God I love cycling so that I can eat like Rolf.

Record attendance for a Cross on the Rock event yesterday and records for woman participants ( 40) and Masters men largest field ever at 38

I would highly recommend that others give it a go drag that old mtn bike or retro steel frame out of the garage and come on out

next racees are at Topaz park Monday of the long weekend and then the 15th and 16th in Nanaimo a double header with beer in between at Oak Bay Bike in Nanaimo

Stormin