Tough day at Ironman

Moderator: mfarnham

Chris Watt

Tough day at Ironman

Post by Chris Watt »

Mike Lawless and I competed in IMC today; I'll let Mike post his own race report when he's recovered. The main difference between our races is that he finished and I didn't.

I came into today’s with high hopes for a strong result; unfortunately my day ended at about mile 92 of the bike with an ambulance trip to the medical tent, then Penticton General Hospital for an x-ray and a diagnosis of a broken rib.

At 3200 competitors this was the largest Ironman not just for Canada but in the history of Ironman. (update: for some reason the website says 2800-something but Steve King and others kept saying 3200 this morning...)

The day started well for me with a decent swim (2nd in my age group of 560-odd guys, 68th overall, fastest transition to the bike). The first part of the bike was terrific- got the heart rate down to my target zone within 15 minutes of transition and was steadily pulling in guys ahead of me on the bike- by my count I had passed about 24 people (though was passed by about 5 others) and averaging just over 41 kph on this first fast part of the course.

Then the first hiccup- flatted about mile 28; followed about 10 minutes later by another flat. Total time lost was about 14 minutes. Worked hard to make up the lost time without blowing up in the rising heat (high of 33 today).

The real disaster struck about 4 km from the top of Yellow Lake. This is psychologically the toughest part of the bike with a series of long gradual uphills after which you’re rewarded the longest fastest down of the day and a speedy run the last part into Penticton. I was accelerating on a slight incline to pass a guy about 5-6 bike lengths ahead. I changed gears, heard a slight chain rattle and looked down for perhaps a second and a half. Suddenly I was on top of the other guy’s bike- I’m still not even clear why but he had stopped and laid his bike down on the road 6 feet off the edge of the road right in bike traffic. I looked up just in time to see my front wheel a just off his rear wheel. I swerved hard to left but my weight was off centre and I fell to the right- my right ribs landed hard on his pedal. Other than the grease chain of his big front ring on my hip not a scratch to the rest of me or my bike. I was winded and sat on the road for a minute to catch my breath. He said he was fine; was able to get back on his bike and resumed riding. I would have been interested in asking him a few questions (like “what were you thinking?”) but couldn’t speak. When I tried to push myself to my feet I felt an impressive pain in my right chest wall- all too familiar as I broke 2 right ribs a couple of years ago. Thankfully ambulance crew materialized almost immediately, drove me down to the medical tent. When he saw that my oxygen saturation was just 90% on oxygen (normal is 99-100%) he decided to send me over to the hospital for an x-ray to rule out a collapsed lung. Fortunately the x-ray ruled that out; just an uncomplicated hairline rib fracture.

Pretty disappointing. Ok, very disappointing. Still it could have been much worse as I learned at ER. Waiting for the x-ray I wandered over to another racer (not hard to spot- sweaty, tired, wearing bike gear and covered in magic marker numbers) who had a broken collar bone and was awaiting surgery. Another racer was wheeled in with full C-spine support on a spine board. I feel terrible for those guys but seeing folks much worse off than you are is perversely therapeutic and a pretty good antidote for self-pity. Busted ribs heal. Life will go on.

Chris
wonger

Re: Tough day at Ironman

Post by wonger »

Chris man, so sorry to hear that you crashed. We were riding the bus down from Lake Cowichan after the Cops for Cancer Vic - Port Renfrew - Lake Cowichan ride and Peter was giving us splits for you and Mike as they came in. After a while we figured you'd had a problem when we didn't see your second bike split. I'd be pretty pissed that all that training and effort was rendered moot by some yahoo letting hid bike nap in the middle of the road. On the bright side we may be able to keep you in sight now. Hope you heal quickly and look forward to seeing you back on the bike.

geoff
AlW

Post by AlW »

Sorry to hear about the crash Chris. I was following your progress online and when the splits stopped coming I figured something was up. Sounds like you had a good race going, which it makes it that much more disappointing.

A friend had a similar incident last year. His race ended after someone turned in front of him to get to an aid station and blocked most of the road. The guy seemed oblivious to what he had done and continued with his race.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Hi Chris,

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. A rib will heal, you know that, but the 'what if' will last longer... all the preparation for such a huge event. We feel your real pain, Chris.

-Brad
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Chris,

I'm very sorry to hear this news. I shake my head at the stupidity of some people; so careless. I feel for you and wish you a speedy recovery.
Last edited by Quentin on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

An ancient latin expression, referring to the art of healing, goes: "Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps" Basically it means "Art is long, life is short, the opportunity fleeting..." You may not have proven yourself in Penticton, but the Adonis-like body you built to go there is an inspiration to all of us.
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

Wishing you a speedy recovery. It sucks to crash out of a race. Having prepared for endurance events I can fully appreciate the disappointment. Good news is that you are in such great shape you will recover quickly. See you on the road!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Very sorry to hear, Chris -- both your injury and your quashed performance. Glad you got some immediate perspective. Speedy healing...
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

and of course, you dragged yourself out of your hotel bed and got in line for next year? Fall off the horse, get back on.....

or....

http://ironmancda.com/registration/2012-registration/

Take care
Tutto il rosa della vita
spearson

Post by spearson »

I for one call for a rematch between you and Young Chris. (How did your swim times match up?)

Speedy recovery. I suggest signing up for something immediately in order to refocus on a new goal....but where to find registration for an event on a Monday in Penticton?
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

That's really tough Chris. I hope the ribs heal fast. Brain S., something, or was that someone, tells me that if he gets back on that horse, he's going to need a new barn.

JT