Grandfondo Axel Merckx (or 160 km is a long race)

Moderator: mfarnham

leftcoaster

Grandfondo Axel Merckx (or 160 km is a long race)

Post by leftcoaster »

Sunday was the Grandfondo Axel Merkx - 160 kms (100 miles) in sunny Penticton.

When fellow TSR, Mike Peters told me he signed up for the Grandfondo Axel Merckx, I told him he was crazy.

Apparently so am I.

The race was originally to be 158 kms, but they added the extra 2 kms to bring the distance to an even 100 miles - a good old-fashioned century. The reason given by the organizers was that now the race would begin with a twisting/turning climb that would spread the field out a little to avoid early problems. It worked.

The race started very slowly, but comfortably only 16 degrees. When we went back through Penticton after only 2 km, a little space had developed.

(Unfortunately, I had switched my Garmin on upon arrival in Penticton and after sitting for 20 minutes it switched off. I had to restart it after the race started and by the time it locked in, over three kms had passed.)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98583153

The Good
Once leaving Penticton, the pace to Summerland was about 35 - 36 km/hr. Very easy and comfortable and with a large peleton - about 100 riders (Garmin 5 km intervals #2, 3, 4).

The climb from Summerland's waterfront was a little tough - about 160 metres vertical or 3 to 4 Caddy Bays - and spread out the peleton.

At the top of the climb Mike and I were ahead of his brother Rod, and said he was going to wait for him. I decided to press on and saw a group of about 8 -10 riders 150 metres ahead with a few stragglers between. I decided to try and bridge. Mistake. It's tough to bridge that distance and it took about 3 - 4 kms of flat out riding to do it. Too much energy too soon. On top of it all, a group of 15 - 20 regrouped and caught us anyway, including Mike and Rod. I could have saved a lot of energy and been at the same place.

The downhill was sufficiently twisting, so we didn't gain much time there, but back on the highway over the next 20 kms, our group, now at about 20 - 25 averaged just over 40 km/hr (Garmin intervals #7, 8, 9, 10) on flat highway.

We slowed slightly and still averaged between 34 and 35 km/hr over the next 60 km (Garmin intervals #11 - 22), a stretch that included one 100 metre vertical climb and a number of smaller climbs. Later, my 80 km timing chip interval showed an average of over 35 kms/hour for the first half, which was a lot faster than I had anticipated, particularly since I had crossed the start line with one foot on the pedal and the other foot pushing due to the crowd. The first km had taken about 5 minutes.

The Bad
My second mistake had been to not stop at the 40 km feeding station when over half my group had stopped. They caught up again and when none stopped at the 70 km station, I did not wished to be dropped, so stayed on. The 94 km feeding station was on a detour at a winery where lunch was served. To take the detour and winery stop would have turned the race into a ride - timing chips, interval times, age graduated placings spells race, not ride. I think 3 members of our group detoured to the Winery, the rest kept on. The next stop was at about 114 kms.

My goal had been to average 32 km/hr for the 160 km. At 110 km I was averaging over 35 km/hr. Well it could only get.........

Ugly
I finally stopped at the 114 km feeding station. Too little too late. The temperature was now 26 - 27 degrees. The climb started immediately - well over 200 metres vertical on the initial climb, then rolling hills, then over another 100 metres. When the map says the next feeding station is at an observatory, well, they don't make observatories on valley bottoms.

I bonked on the 200 metre climb.

I was riding on my lowest gear, wishing I had a couple lower ones to drop to. Mike, Rod and about 50 more riders passed me. I refueled at the observatory, but I was a long way gone.

I finished okay - 32 kms/hr over the last 15 km into the wind sharing pulls with 2 other guys. My final time was 5:13, halfway between 5:00 and 5:30, my optimistic and pessimistic goals. Proper refueling and nutrition (and a couple better decisions) would have put me at 5:00. Mike rode a much smarter race and came in at 5:03.

The race was well organized, efficient, safe and a pleasure to ride (except for that nasty observatory hill and bonking).

I've already marked July 8, 2012 on the calender.

I'll be back.

- David B.
Kevin F

Re: Grandfondo Axel Merckx (or 160 km is a long race)

Post by Kevin F »

Great report Dave. Congrats for making you average time goal. I know you put in a lot of hard work to make that.

Cheers, KJF