New here, considering joining

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

steinbachphoto

New here, considering joining

Post by steinbachphoto »

Hi there, I couldn't find a introduce yourself section so I figured I'd post here.

I got into cycling last September as a cost saving way to go to and from school, however became very attached to it and starting cycling more serious.

However weekend cycling gets somewhat boring not being a part of a club and my ride mate broke his foot and is out for a while. So I figured it's time to find a club.

Tripleshot seems like a great community and I'll probably come out to a ride or 2 this week and check it out!

Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks, Dustin.
Lister Farrar

Re: New here, considering joining

Post by Lister Farrar »

Hi Dustin:
Welcome. Assuming you've seen the stuff here http://www.tripleshotcycling.com/ on the ride routes, fender flap requirement (sad to say we still have to consider the liklihood of wet weather), group ettiquette etc., just show up and say hi. We often ask newcomers to identify themselves, but sometimes forget. B and C rides are no-drop. A and A+ rides are fast, mostly guys who are racing. We all meet for coffee at the same place after. Consider staying and having a chat.

I think the main thing with a group ride is to ride like you want the group to stay together: try not to shred the group on hills, be smooth, easy on the brakes, keep your line, etc. If you're struggling at all, don't feel obligated to pull, ie ride at the front. But you are expected to draft, or try to draft the group.

Memebership is required after a few rides.

Anything else? :)

Lister
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
steinbachphoto

Post by steinbachphoto »

Yes I have seen that, I have fenders but no flap. Do you know where I can obtain one of those?

Don't worry there will be shredding on the hills, I'm not a strong climber(yet).
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

steinbachphoto wrote:Yes I have seen that, I have fenders but no flap. Do you know where I can obtain one of those?

Don't worry there will be shredding on the hills, I'm not a strong climber(yet).
Most people make their own, or have a shop make one. Make sure you specify it reaches 2-3 inches from the ground; some shops do shorter ones. I find rubber matting (like workshop floor mats) from any hardware store makes one that will not blow around but won't break your fender like a stiffer material when it hits a curb. Talented duct tape sculptors can make one that stays down, but we have seen a few that blow from side to side and just turn the spray into a pulsating showerhead. Avoid that if you can. :roll: The options are limitless though; bleach bottle material, half water bottles, leather, have also been used.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4