Riding in cross winds

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Riding in cross winds

Post by Lister Farrar »

It might be time to have a discussion about riding in cross winds. We've had a few windy days lately, and as people learn to find the draft off to one side, and in strong winds overlap a bit, there's a risk lead riders coming off the front will take them out by moving into their front wheel.

The racing convention is always swing off into the wind. This sounds easy, but on Dallas today, it switched directions several times, and in a criterium, it switches twice a lap.

I think it merits a discussion, because we have one convention for riding in twos, ie swing off both sides, but in cross winds, if the group is arranged in an echelon, swinging off with the wind could take out the rider behind.

If you're not sure, one way to tell is take a quick look down between your legs for the wheel of the following rider. If it's on one side, swing off to the other side, then look for the way riders are looking for cover. In beginner packs it's hard to see, because they're not sure where to find the draft.

This is the B group on Dallas today. :wink: Self test: Which way is the wind coming from?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
JohnT

Re: Riding in cross winds

Post by JohnT »

Good advise Lister. If you are worried about making a mistake, also remember that simply slowing down a little works (rather than swinging off in a potentially wrong direction). This assumes an echelon has formed. Rider two in line is not right behind you, but just over your shoulder. As you slow, he or she will pass and then move a little to the right or left and assume the point position in the echelon. Best to give a wave so they know it's their turn. Also, in the wind the leader should provide a bit of space for the echelon to form. If the wind is from the left and you ride close to the curb, there's no room for even a small echelon. This last bit assumes you want to help the people behind, which isn't always the case in a race.

JT
Alan

Post by Alan »

Good comments John. You'll especially not want to ride too close to the curb, if you expect an echelon to form behind you. You'll also not want to ride too close to the curb if there is ice and snow in the vicinity, Right Lister? For those who don't know, on Tuesday's ride Lister took a little slide and tumble on some curb-side ice going 'round Beacon Hill. Only thing injured was his ego, I think. This was a good reminder that most of us are not as skilled as Lister in hugging the curb so expertly.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

JohnT wrote:Best to give a wave so they know it's their turn.
an elbow shake is the universal sign that you're done your pull
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Lister Farrar wrote:This is the B group on Dallas today. :wink: Self test: Which way is the wind coming from?
Answer: Qatar
Tutto il rosa della vita
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Alan wrote:Good comments John. You'll especially not want to ride too close to the curb, if you expect an echelon to form behind you. You'll also not want to ride too close to the curb if there is ice and snow in the vicinity, Right Lister? For those who don't know, on Tuesday's ride Lister took a little slide and tumble on some curb-side ice going 'round Beacon Hill. Only thing injured was his ego, I think. This was a good reminder that most of us are not as skilled as Lister in hugging the curb so expertly.
I'm blaming you Alan. The previous lap you went left in the right cross wind, and that meant we all had to pretty much cross the yellow line to stay in the draft. I just over corrected a lap later. :shock: Plus I really, really wanted to catch Peter and Mark, and had my head down in my best euro pro poseur style. That is, until I started doing my impression of Josée Chouinard. Image

:oops:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Lister Farrar wrote:...I really, really wanted to catch Peter and Mark, ...
On behalf of Mark and I : :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Katie

Post by Katie »

Lister Farrar wrote:That is, until I started doing my impression of Josée Chouinard. Image

Hahahaha! This is so clearly not Josée Chouinard its funny. This is Surya Bonaly.
:lol:
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Katie wrote:
Hahahaha! This is so clearly not Josée Chouinard its funny. This is Surya Bonaly.
:lol:
Ok, now I'm blaming google: I searched 'Josee Chouinard falling', and that's what I got. Guess I should have noticed she's black. Unlike Chouinard... :oops:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)