Garmin/Ant+

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

bruceschlatter

Garmin/Ant+

Post by bruceschlatter »

Wondering about feedback on Garmins, I'm heading to Maui on friday for 7 days of climbing. I Will be bringing a powertap wheel that apparently talks to Garmin. Looks like a few Garmin models to choose from. Cheapest one good enough? MEC best price in town? I read one review on altitude. Elevation fluctuated by 100 M, while user was on trainer. He didn't think that his house was moving....

thanks

B
jeremy

Re: Garmin/Ant+

Post by jeremy »

I got a Garmin 500 in november, i think it's great loads of functions on it. From talking with the rest of guys when I was shopping for it everybody said that the 500 was the way to go. I've had no issues with the elevation on mine (but I don't climb that much :roll: ) But I've only really been using it for 1 month so far
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

The 500 has a barometric altimeter, so it's good, plus when you upload to Garmin Connect it can run a correction algorithm based on the GPS track and figger out what the actual elevation was. Not sure what does ANT+ and what doesn't. The Edge 500 and 800 for sure, yeah. Not sure about the wrist unit Forerunner 305 that I have. I like it for running - it works well and is reliable. I had a Forerunner 310 XT for awhile and loved the functionality, but it completely died on me after about 3 month - apparently a not very uncommon problem. I traded it in on an Edge 500.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

ANT+ is just a wireless communication protocol, all Garmins talk ANT+ and use ANT+ devices. The 305 and forerunner do not have the ability to read and do anything with the torque data from a power meter. You need a 500, 705 or 800.
For the 500, you want to make sure that it has firmware release 2.6 (or upgrade after you buy it), as that has the latest greatest self calibration algorithms for the powertap wheels.

I think the 500 is the best bang for the money too. It's also sleek and small, like a colnago.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

Whoa, Bruce posted on the forum!

The Edge 500 is cool. I've been happy with mine. My elevation reading does fluctuate occasionally when I'm on a trainer (my house also does not move), but I notice it more on rides: apparently sometimes I ride below sea level. Maybe that's why I end some rides soaked and salt-encrusted?

I'm pretty sure I got mine from http://www.gpscity.ca/ and I think it was the best deal I could find.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »