Pre Sunday Ride Field Test - 30 Jan

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Pre Sunday Ride Field Test - 30 Jan

Post by Plawless »

for any who are interested.... My plan is to do a field test before the regular ride.

Schedule:
Start at Shoal Point 6am -
Interval 1 - 20' TT - Shoal Point to Foul Bay along Dallas, return.
10' easy pedalling
Interval 2 - 20' TT - Shoal Point to Foul Bay along Dallas, return.

then its a quick ride home to swap bikes (testing on TT Bike) and meet the crew at Starbucks at 7:15 for the regular TS Sunday ride.

the 20' average HR or power is an excellent measure of Functional Threshold. The 20' # equates to 105% of your 60' threshold and by being only 20' its easily repeatable etc.

I am trying to test once per month and it is a great way to not only track progress but determine if changes need to be made to a plan or if you are starting to overtrain etc.

Here's hoping its not raining!

Peter
sylvan

Re: Pre Sunday Ride Field Test - 30 Jan

Post by sylvan »

Oh my goodness! That sounds entirely beastly indeed. I'll try to get there for rep #2 after watching the 'cross worlds race.
EricS

Post by EricS »

Peter,

This sounds awesome! A couple of 20 foot TTs would be a great way to start the day. Just the right length for me.

Eric
Eric Simonson
cashman

Post by cashman »

Peter, Peter, Peter

"the 20' average HR or power is an excellent measure of Functional Threshold"

Average HR ( back in the 80's) is sooooo dependent on other factors: fatigue, cardiac drift, cardiac lag. That the only proper way to test is to come to the 21st century and use POWER 'cause that's the best reflection of what your body is doing and how it is responding. Heart rate is "ok" but if you want to play with the big dogs you gotta use POWER :D :D :D

Colin
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Plawless wrote:The 20' # equates to 105% of your 60' threshold and by being only 20' its easily repeatable etc.
I'll have to get you to explain to me what this all means tomorrow.
emilederosnay

Post by emilederosnay »

i do all 3 wrote:Heart rate is "ok" but if you want to play with the big dogs you gotta use POWER :D :D :D
I realize this is probably a joke, but there's always a kernel of truth behind a joke...

I think HR is fine. The minor details of power vs HR are just that really, minor details. Once you've used HR in an intelligent manner for a while, these tests are good and you know where you are in relation to perceived effort (and, of course, you can quibble all day about the latter too!).

Now, someone who does 2x 20 TT before a 3-hour ride is some kind of dog!
emilederosnay

Post by emilederosnay »

interesting article on Heart Rate Recovery: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fulls ... est%20News