Double cross Weekend

Moderator: mfarnham

Roland

Double cross Weekend

Post by Roland »

Two days of great racing, a costume party and a trip the the ER. Great way to spend a weekend.

Comments have already been made about yesterdays racing in the main forum (but I'm sure more can be said)

Another strong day of racing from TS. 8 riders out. Performance of the day goe to Simon who got a 4th place in a stacked beginners field of 14 riders. 5th place went on to race again in intermediate and finished 6th. So maybe it's time Simon considered moving up? :lol:

Eric and his school of fish (Logan & Holly) raced with the beginners as well and picked up 2nd place in the costume contest.

Adam was having a great race in intermediate, riding strongly in 4th place until a disastrous crash knocked him back to 12th.

Dylan picked up another Top 10 finish in the strong Masters field. As did Jen in the womens. Katie's seagull costume won costume of the day.

I had a better race than yesterday's disaster, finishing 19th in the Expert race. But I drop down to 28th in the overall standings, thereby losing my call up. :(

An impressive performance from Russell Anderson had him finishing 13th in expert men riding an early 90s mountain bike complete with aerobars and a rack on the back. Just goes to show, it's not about the bike.

Hopefully some photos show up soon, there were some great costumes today.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
AdamD

Re: Double cross Weekend

Post by AdamD »

Heres a few to tie you over.
Roland the bumble bee
Paul C. making the barriers look easy.
Style points for the synchronized remount
Butterfly
Glen
Best costume
Sorry Dylan, Eric and Simon, looks like no shots from beginners or masters.

Gavin are you feeling better now?
Adam de Vos
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Here are some shots from the Gorge
Attachments
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

more
Attachments
IMG_4100.JPG
IMG_4098.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attachments
IMG_4106.JPG
IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4105.JPG
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attachments
IMG_4119.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attachments
IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4125.JPG
IMG_4127.JPG
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attachments
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attachments
IMG_4199.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attachments
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4203.JPG
wonger

Post by wonger »

Man cross is fun. I only got to do the one race this weekend as my Sunday pass was revoked for bad behaviour, but I still had a great time. The whole scene is so much more inclusive and there's a real sense of fun throughout the whole thing that it really is something that everyone should try. And there's chili!

Saturday's actual race was pretty hard for me. It was a really smooth course with on tricky climb with a log at the top, but it was pretty much a fitness test the whole way. As Hugh said when I went by on the first lap, it probably wasn't possible to get my air hole open any more than it was. It was tough. I had a pretty good start and was doing well through the tight turns but when we hit the flat stretches it was like I was standing still as people blew by me. It gets better for me the longer things go, so the further we got into it the better I felt, except when I crashed. It's amazing how much ground you lose going down in a corner, then you've got it all to do over again to catch up to the guy you're chasing. In the end I caught the guy I was battling with and beat him to the line by a second, even though I went down three times.

Before the race Jen and I were riding a warm-up lap and she asked me how long I thought it would take me to pass her, as the women got a three minute lead. Turns out that I didn't get close until the last lap when she went past me in one of those sections that double back. I hollered that I was coming for her, so when I come around the last corner she's standing about three feet from the finish just so I'm sure to see her as she remounts and crosses the line just in front of me. Classy move, Jen. I was planning my revenge for Sunday but lucky for you I wasn't able to make it.

From a racing standpoint it wasn't a great result, but it's about the best that I've done so far. If I could only get younger...

Hope to see more of you out at the next one.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Emergency Room? I hope no easter eggs have cracks in them...... (ok I hope no one is hurt at all) Perhaps the "trip to the ER" can be expanded upon / updated to let us know that all is well....?

Second, well done all who went out. Chapeau to all participants!
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

Congrats to all you crazy cross-racers and cross-dressers. When we set the course up in the morning, at the Gorge, I had a feeling things were going to be interesting. I just wish I could have stayed for the races. I'm very tempted to give this form of racing a go but, it's that falling down crashing part that has me a wee bit scared to death......
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Well I almost did the Triple Crown of Halloween Cross....I did the two CX races AND went to the Procity party,BUT didn't dress up....so close but no cigar. What about Roland???

It was good to see other Triple shot members getting dirty at The Cross races Thanks to all and spectators for your support

...For those on the fence.....borrow a mtn bike or a club members CX bike and jump in. For tips try: Roland, Katie, Jen, Josh,AdamD.Eric, Gavin,Simon and I guess me, if you want to know what to do to finish last. [ it takes the pressure off and you get lots of attention.] pc
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Four Oak Bay High students rode Sunday, Alex, Margot, Andrew and Callum. We had promised the dirt jumper boys a trip to the North saanich Dirt Jump park, but the chance of a beginner race so close on a weekend meant we bargained to hit the 'cross race first, then head up to the jumps. As good sports, they 'jumped' in.

Callum was plagued with a mechanical: the shop tuning up his bike had put the rear derailleur inside pulley cage on upside down, so the bottom pulley derailed every 200 metres. He got pretty good at pushing it back on with his heel by the end, but it kinda took the fun out of it. Andrew gamely rode his one speed dirt jumper with the saddle just off the back wheel; yup, he stood up all the way round for 3 laps! Best form off the one jump in the course though.

Alex had a strong race, and loyally proved my point about cross being good for bikehandlng, drifted (two wheel slide) her bike nicely through the gravel on one corner and kept it shiny side up, earning a "Nice recovery!" from the guy behind. Margot also went well, for someone who doens't like to stand up and seems to be able to smile and show no apparent effort. According to her host family, Margot has said yes to every actvity they have suggested since she's been here. (Thanks to Galen and his son Jasper who have loaned the Davison/Farrar Frankenbike to her for the school road rides.)

The highlight for the boys was seeing a free ride hero of theirs, Dylan Tremblay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxPuGjRWSLM That's him at :40> ) riding 'cross. Callum even got to say "hey".

Right after the beginner race we loaded up to head to the North Saanich dirt jump park for some thrills and skills, but found it closed ("due to weather" the sign said, despite the sunny day). It has a 10 ' foot barbed wire fence, which two other teen-aged boys were climbing, while their mother was maneuvering to back the pick-up to the fence and toss their bikes over when we left. Kids and moms are tough in north saanich... I thought that was a little much for a school-based club. ("Oak Bay coach arrested" didn't look so good in my head...) After , I called the park contact number and although they do close it after rain to avoid accidents on slippery wet clay, and protect the jumps themselves, they didn't know why it was still closed Sunday either.

But they say this website is supposed to be up to date, so check it before driving up there. http://www.freeridebc.com/ Good video here showing the range of ability it accomodates: http://www.freeridebc.com/free-ride-park.html

So we really owe the jumper boys an air day. For those interested, the park has a pump track and a whole range of jumps from beginner to 'hope you have a dental plan'. Margaret Jenkins Elementary bike club goes there, so you know you will find something that works for you. We've even hosted birthday parties there.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Barry McKee wrote:Congrats to all you crazy cross-racers and cross-dressers. When we set the course up in the morning, at the Gorge, I had a feeling things were going to be interesting. I just wish I could have stayed for the races. I'm very tempted to give this form of racing a go but, it's that falling down crashing part that has me a wee bit scared to death......
Barry, I know it sounds reckless, but the speeds are relatively slow, the surfaces forgiving, and the skills directly transferable to the really crazy pack riding stuff you do. :wink:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Roland

Post by Roland »

Plawless wrote:Emergency Room? I hope no easter eggs have cracks in them...... (ok I hope no one is hurt at all) Perhaps the "trip to the ER" can be expanded upon / updated to let us know that all is well....?
Yeah, I'm fine. I crashed hard on lap one on the Saturday race. The back of my hand was swollen, very painful and very weak. The ER doc checked it out and he was surprised nothing was broken. Some ice and drugs and I was 'ok' to race Sunday.
Roland

Post by Roland »

And I need to give recognition to Sylvan for doing the best timing sheets we've ever seen. It's almost like he's done it before.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Roland wrote:
Plawless wrote:Emergency Room? I hope no easter eggs have cracks in them...... (ok I hope no one is hurt at all) Perhaps the "trip to the ER" can be expanded upon / updated to let us know that all is well....?
Yeah, I'm fine. I crashed hard on lap one on the Saturday race. The back of my hand was swollen, very painful and very weak. The ER doc checked it out and he was surprised nothing was broken. Some ice and drugs and I was 'ok' to race Sunday.
See Barry? Nothing to it!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Katie

Post by Katie »

Saturday was a good race for me.

I wasn't feeling too peppy prior to the start. With so many races in such a short time, including a doubleheader last weekend, and a challenging workload at work, I haven't had time to recover, train and prepare really at all. I was feeling pretty drained, but made it my goal to not get lapped.

I really liked the course. Lots of stuff going on with corners and terrain changes, it seemed like things were constantly changing, no chance to think about anything but what comes next, and no opportunities to loose focus. I found the traction actually pretty good, but I look for lines that will be fast *for me*, which are often not the lines that other people have carved.

On the 2nd to last lap I caught sight of Dawn sneaking up behind me. I thought I had a decent gap still, but really started to hammer as hard as I could. I noticed she was gaining on me faster than I wanted, and by the time I got to the beach she was with 50m of me! She called out to me and I started yelling "NO NO NO NO" and tried to pickup the pace again. At the picnic tables, she was on my wheel telling me to ride "harder than I had in my life!" as she chased me for the last 1/4 lap calling instructions: "big ring" "easy gear" "kellys catching up"! I though I was going to puke and couldn't breathe, but we managed to cross the line ahead of Kelly, and I remained unlapped! How's that for an awesome teammate?

Unfortuneately that meant I had to ride the last lap on empty- I could hardly get up the hill:) But I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time!

I've been trying to finish on the lead lap for 4 seasons now, and it finally happened! Even Last year I was often lapped twice.

Gotta get on a plane now, I will report on my Sunday race when I arrive in Nashville.