For all you Sardinia riders

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

jeremy

For all you Sardinia riders

Post by jeremy »

Just came across this on used Victoria, looks like it would work great for the plane
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... s_13185287
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Barry McKee

Re: For all you Sardinia riders

Post by Barry McKee »

Thanks Jeremy. They look "sturdy". I plan to check them out. I have not used a bike box. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best bike box for a road bike? Size? Weight? Material? I am pretty sure Air Canada has a 50lb. limit for baggage, which is what a bike box is considered. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Barry
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Best box? Depends. Norm has a coupled bike that comes apart and fits in a tough suitcase that fits down the luggage chute and avoids any fees. And in cars and taxis at the other end. But you need a metal frame with round tubes before the fittings will work, and more mechanical ability to put it together again.

I've used cardboard many times, and that works unless someone drives over the box. And even with extreme abuse, good reinforcements will protect a bike (pipe insulation on the frame, bracing between dropouts, and between sides of the box). After all, this is how even carbon bikes get from the manufacturer to the retail outlets, via ships and trucks. But they can get beat up by the time the return journey comes around. Spares are handy though.

Lots of local riders use more permenant boxes though. I haven't, so I'll let them pipe up.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Alan

Post by Alan »

This spring I used a bike box lent to me by Mike Lawless to get my bike to Sardinia. The box is plastic and about 5ft long, by 3ft high by 1ft, with rollers. You can haul those suckers anywhere (including through the Paris metro system, through turnstiles, into elevators, onto buses, etc) and they are nearly indestructible. Minimal mechanical ability required (loosen the handlebars, take off wheels, pedals and seat and you're set to go). Highly recommended and the wheels on it make it easy to drag behind you as you're visiting the Louvre or strolling down the Champs Elysee. Check the airline for weight restrictions. I got away with not having to pay for overweight baggage, or any additional charge for that matter. Just smile at the check in agent a lot and don't tell her you're a lawyer.
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

"Nearly indestructible" Alan? So in the end with some trying you were able to trash Mike's box??
;-)

Alan's right on Air Canada- $50 each way:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... equip.html

Bicycles are accepted on a space available basis only and should be pre-registered at time of booking.

Each bicycle counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type.

Waivers/Charges

No oversize charge applies to bicycles.

Bicycles are subject to a $50 CAD/USD handling charge (plus applicable taxes) for carriage on all Air Canada and Jazz flights.

The handling charge applies to one-way flights and for each way of travel on round-trip and multi-segment flights.

A single fixed handling charge is waived for Latitude and Executive fare customers for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the US. Additional checked baggage rules still apply.

If your baggage count (bicycle + number of bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of items allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply, in addition to the fixed handling charge.

Packing instructions

The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping or (when transporting collapsible bicycles) in a bicycle suitcase. If not packaged in a container, Air Canada will provide a plastic bicycle bag and will accept the item with a signed limited release.

Cheers,
Chris
John D

Post by John D »

I've rented a wheeled shipping box from Russ Hays a few times. It's of the sort that Alan describes - bomb-proof and with lots of space for tools, helmet, shoes, etc. The wheels are a definite plus, unless you'll be dragging it up and down stairs. Cost was $40 per week.

Unlike many American carriers, the AC bike shipping rules/regs were quite reasonable, as stated above.

John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
cashman

Post by cashman »

Just a bit more info on airline fees, I am an avid follower of Slowtwitch.com and on that website they have listed the best to worst airlines to fly with re: bike fees I will copy the info here:

THE BEST
Southwest: $50/bike & two checked bags free
WestJet: $40/bike & two checked bags free
AirCanada: $50/bike & two checked bags free

VERY GOOD
Alaska: $50/bike & $15 first checked bag fee. The $50 bike fee *includes* the $25 second bag fee
JetBlue: $50/bike & $20 second bag fee
Frontier: $50/bike & $15 first bag & $25 second bag fee (optional $25 ticket upgrade gives you two checked bags free & directtv access - which is normally $6)
Virgin: $50/bike (VirginAmerica) or FREE (VirginAtlantic)
British Airways: Free internationally
Mexicana: Free with Mexican Athletic Federation membership ($40)

GOOD
USAirways: FREE on roundtrip tickets for WTC races (with coupon IRONMAN01), otherwise $100
AirTran: $79/bike

OKAY
Hawaiian: $100 for the bike + $15 first bag fee (bike fee includes second bag fee)

NOT GOOD
United - $150/bike + $25 second bag fee. Real sticklers about overweight, which is an extra $125
Continental - $100/bike + additional fees?
American

THE WORST (try not to fly if at all possible)
Delta - $175/bike + additional fees (charges up to $300 are not uncommon)
Northwest - $175/bike + additional fees (charges up to $300 are not uncommon)
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"