Tech Stuff - Garmin

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Barry McKee

Tech Stuff - Garmin

Post by Barry McKee »

Time to upgrade the old Shimano Flight Deck. I know some of you have a Garmin product. Care to weigh in on the subject of which Garmin is best? Or, "if I had to do it all over, I'd buy the Garmin .......?" Looking forward to the debate, er, advice.... Thanks.

Barry
wonger

Re: Tech Stuff - Garmin

Post by wonger »

Hi Barry,

I have the 405 which is a wrist watch/GPS unit. It's harder to read when you're on the bike as the display is that of a watch vs. the 500 which has a bigger screen. It does all that I want it to and has a plethora of customization options for workouts, data fields, plotting routes and the like.

It borders on heresy to say this, but the watch allows me to use it for other activities such as (god forbid) running, cross country skiing and the like. I've used a piece of that insulation that you put around water pipes and strapped it to my bars in the past, but as the pace of both the A and B rides gets quicker, I'm spending less time worrying about what speed or pulse rate I'm at and more time trying to just hang on. I can check out the data after the ride.

The other thing to consider is a power meter - there are many in this club that would recommend that as a superior training tool to a HRM. Good luck with your search.
Katie

Post by Katie »

I have been using an Edge 500 since February. In that time, it has not:
1. fallen off the handlebar mount and into the Gorge
2. fallen off the handlebar mount into bushes ...somewhere in a Nanaimo park...
3. not fallen off during a crash, resulting in a smashed lcd
Also, I have not broken any mounts trying to pry the gps off the mount after a ride.

It appears that the mount for the 500 has been much improved over the edge 305. The battery life is better than the 305 as well.

However, it seems to take longer to lock on to satellites, and recently it more closely resembles a random number generator than a speedometer. I have an email in to Garmin support on the issue, but I am not yet completely discounting myself as a possible root cause of the inconsistent data. Other than that, I have no real complaints about the 500.

If you are getting a heart rate strap for your garmin, the "premium strap" is more comfortable than the standard strap.
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

I have the Edge 500 and I've been pretty happy with it. The handlebar mount works great, is very visible, and I like the data selection available - speed, time, distance, hrm, lap and time interval settings among others. I find the data is well presented and enjoy downloading the data after rides to my computer.

And on Sunday when I went from 53km/hr to 0 in a really short period of time, the Edge 500 remained on my bike, in one piece, and recorded the quick speed change.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I like this one for simplicity and sustainability.

I'm just working on size and the gyroscopic/compass mount thingy to keep it pointed in the right direction.

For heart rate, I have an analogue scale:
before coffee - 60-70
after coffee - 70-80
distracted by the scenery while riding - 100-120
can still talk (at least with Brian S or Ramsey) - 120-140
very, very focussed on the wheel in front - 140-160
noticing the dark edges moving in - 160+
nirvana 180+

For route finding, I use this:

and this:

;)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

Thanks guys and gal for the advice and insight. A special thanks to Lister for reminding us of why we ride, although the last photo sort of confuses me. Great morning on the hills today. Hope to make it out on Friday.

Barry
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Barry McKee wrote: although the last photo sort of confuses me.
Barry
It's ok. You'll get the drafting thing soon. :)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

I have the Forerunner 305:MEC Price: $190.00; Costco Price: $169.99; GPS City Price: $179.99

It's the older version and is therefore very cheap! The things that it lacks are minimal in my opinion:
1. no barometric altimeter, but it can still give you altitude from the GPS, it's just a little less accurate, and you can have your computer fix the altitude readings after you sync anyways.
2. Smaller screen: you can only show 4 data fields at a time on the FR305.
3. No wireless sync with the computer: I don't see this as a problem at all, you have to plug all of them in to charge them anyways...
4. No maps (which are only available on the Edge 605 & 705)
5. Does not work with ANT+ power meters

The FR305:
- works with the same wireless speed and cadence sensor that the other garmins work with (GSC10)
- Has a heart rate monitor
- Can easily be moved from bike to wrist if you get the quick release kit which is actually a nicer wrist strap than the one that comes in the box.

The biggest problem with the FR305 is its size; it's fairly big when worn on the wrist.

For any Garmin, GPSCity.ca is usually the cheapest place to buy the accessories.

Also, once you get a Garmin, check out SportTracks to log your workouts, it beats the hell out of the software they give you!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Good to have you back in town, Lister. :lol:
cashman

Post by cashman »

Lister Farrar wrote:I like this one for simplicity and sustainability.

I'm just working on size and the gyroscopic/compass mount thingy to keep it pointed in the right direction.

For heart rate, I have an analogue scale:
before coffee - 60-70
after coffee - 70-80
distracted by the scenery while riding - 100-120
can still talk (at least with Brian S or Ramsey) - 120-140
very, very focussed on the wheel in front - 140-160
noticing the dark edges moving in - 160+
nirvana 180+

For route finding, I use this:

and this:

;)

Sorry Lister I much prefer this draft.........
Attachments
liz hatch.jpg
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

What does it say about my attempts at humour when they miss? :oops:

Kinda like a Roland's attack training approach? Lots of effort but doesn't quite stick? ;)

I ws trying to say, I find my way by following the pack, vs a garmin. Maybe this is better?

Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

This is an ultra in-depth review Bryan S posted a while back, also includes some comparison between other units, enjoy.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/11/garm ... eview.html
Adam de Vos