Caleb Pike A race

Moderator: mfarnham

Josh.E

Caleb Pike A race

Post by Josh.E »

(since the other thread is B race specific)

The A race was strange. Really slow, then really fast, then really slow. Felt a bit more "amateurish" (maybe? not sure that's the right word) than the last couple Caleb's I've done. The breaks and attacks that did happen weren't nearly as coherent. Nobody really ever wanted to work together to bring in breaks, and there was some very intentional blocking going on as well.

Oh, well. The race went pretty well for me. Shawn went off the front for a while, so I got in the front of the pack behind him and set a slow pace so I wouldn't drag the entire pack back to him, hoping that I would force one or two guys to jump around me and bridge up to give him a group to try to stay away with. It didn't end up working out though, as finally guys decided to come around me in a line, and Shawn got reeled back in.

On a couple laps I chased down a couple gaps to breakaways along the back stretch before the downhill. Gotta remember not to do that there as I just about cracked both times trying to stay with the group on the following surge over the climb.

By the end of the race, I was still feeling fairly fresh, and I sat third wheel in the pack for the whole last lap. I had thought we had reeled in all the breakaway riders (seems like a lot of the guys in the pack thought the same thing), but apparently there was still one guy off the front. I started the sprint in 3rd place, and bob came around my right and in front of me, so I jumped to follow behind him. I came up over the crest of the finish hill third in the bunch, but got passed two pylons before the line for 4th. (which ended up being 5th with the rider off the front)

pics are up
http://duanebc.smugmug.com/Sports/Victo ... 0847_GPrSF

Looks like Gavin got 8th, and Shawn got 11th. Woot Woot tripleshot
Attachments
896164405_dpKtd-X2.jpg
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
shawnc

Re: Caleb Pike A race

Post by shawnc »

I had a lot of fun last night and a good talk with Bob Cameron on the ride home, which has given me a new perspective on the club races. During the race Bob rode up beside me and suggested I actually start racing and be more aggressive, instead of drafting someone else the whole time.

Shortly after that I attacked and managed to solo off the front for over a lap, before I got reeled back in. Thanks Josh, for running some interference!

Talking with Bob helped me realize that I've been focusing too much on placing well in the club races, instead of just using them as an opportunity to train and make myself and others suffer. The reason I like the A+ Friday rides so much is that I never worry about how I place in the final sprint - I'd rather just attack, bridge gaps and blow my legs off.

I tried this out last night a bit and felt way better about my race, even though I didn't make the top ten. I can't wait until next time :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

I guess I talk too much, but Shawn I liked the way you backed yourself last night.

All this talk of race strategy! Listen, you guys are doing great so keep racing and you'll figure it out.

Way more important than strategy is a good racing philosophy! Check out these videos and experience my views regarding the heart and soul of bike racing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jdLuPiA ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHAL_q1 ... re=related
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

So that's your secret Bob. Somehow I thought that story of Alec's that you were once an aerobics instructor with a Flock of Seagulls haircut just didn't jibe with that straight-ahead, driving, punk pace you set.

Where can I get those big safety pins? And not for my numbers.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4