Call For Volunteers

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Call For Volunteers

Post by Plawless »

We still need a bunch of volunteers for each of our races (June 13th TTT in Nanaimo & June 27th RR in Metchosin). I am getting close to calling BC Masters to tell them that unfortuantely our club (which everyone knows rocks) is somehow unable to find enough volunteers to put on these races and ask them to take them off the calendar.

So far Volunteers look like:

TTT June 13th
1. Peter (Race Organizer)
2. Dave (Course set up)
3. Sarah (Registration)
4. Helen Martindale (Starter/Timekeeper)
5. _________
6. _________
7. _________

Metchosin RR June 27th

1. Kim G (Race Organizer)
2. Peter (Start/Finish )
3. ___________
4. ___________
5. ___________
6. ___________
7. ___________
8. ___________
9. ___________
shawnc

Re: Call For Volunteers

Post by shawnc »

Hey Peter,

I'm willing to help out at the June 13 race. I'd like to race too, but I haven't spoken with anyone yet about putting a team together. Is it possible to both race and volunteer?
steve

Post by steve »

Put me down for the 27th. I'd love to race if that is possible in conjunction with volunteering but realize it likely isn't realistic.

Steve
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Sorry, Peter: I don't think I can be in Nanaimo or Metchosin on those particular dates. But I do have some friendly suggestions if you want a better response when seeking volunteers. :D

Perhaps it's blindingly obvious to others what's involved in volunteering for a race, but if I were going to consider it, I'd like to know approximately what is expected of volunteers, where they'd need to be, when, and for how long? I'd also like to know if volunteers are able to race as well.

Maybe that's too much hand-holding, but I'm sure more newbies like me would jump forward if more specifics were known. If we're armed with specific information, we're also in a much better position to rope in friends and family.

It would be a real shame if all the work you and Kim and Sarah have put in went to waste.
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

I can help out with whatever is required on the 27th. Would like to race also if that is possible because last year was sooooo much fun!
# 9
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I'd like to race too, but would also be more than willing to volunteer. What volunteer positions are available that would still allow racing?
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
BearPope Recruit

Post by BearPope Recruit »

Same for me - I'm racing on June 13th but can help out if there is a role that allows for both!
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

if I can get a ride with someone, I'll volunteer on the 13th.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Rita

Post by Rita »

I can volunteer on the 27th for sure and on the 13th if volunteering can be combined with racing.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

For Metchosin the marshals would be assigned to different intersections. They get a reflective vest and a stop sign. Basically the role is to ensure the safety of the riders. If there is a car coming you stop THE CYCLIST. at no time does a marshall get involved in traffic control.

All you do is stop any cyclist who looks likely to come through your corner into a car!

I need 6 people willing to either not race or co-opt a family member / friend to do this on June 27th from say 11am-2:00pm.
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Peter,

Sign me up to help for the Metchosin race. Cyndi and the kids may come as well so they might help.

For the TTT I can help out but wish to race as well. Cyndi is away but Patrick et al could help?

Michael
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Sign me up for the 27th under "happy to volunteer if needed, but would like to race if possible"
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I can help with the 27th Peter.
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

Peter, I am available for volunteer duty for the TTT on June 13th. I can also provide transport for 2 or 3.

Barry
Sarah W

Post by Sarah W »

Thanks to those who have let me know that they want to volunteer on the 13th.

So far I have Jeremy and my nephew coming who do not want to race. And, Rita, Bill, Shawn, Josh and Jen who want to volunteer and race. I need a few more to be marshals on the course so they would not be able to race.

BARRY - do you want to race?

TTT June 13th
1. Peter (Race Organizer)
2. Dave (Course set up)
3. Sarah (Registration)
4. Helen Martindale (Starter/Timekeeper)
5. _________
6. _________
7. _________

Metchosin RR June 27th

1. Kim G (Race Organizer)
2. Peter (Start/Finish )
3. Sarah - marshal
4. ___________
5. ___________
6. ___________
7. ___________
8. ___________
9. ___________
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

Hi Sarah,

I won't be racing on the 13th because I'm not eligible to compete in the Masters races. So I can volunteer for any duty. However, I will need a ride up.
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Hi,Sarah, I don't see my name on the Metchosin list but I have volunteered?
# 9
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Hi Sarah,
I don't see my name on the Metchosin list, but I have volunteered.
# 9
AlW

Post by AlW »

I volunteered, via Peter, for the 13th. I'm doing results and can marshall as well.

Will also volunteer on the 27th.
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

Rita: Thanks for asking. Yes, I would love to race but I have not been recruited by any team, TSC or other. I will take one for the team and volunteer if you need me. If I can race and volunteer, all the better. I am up in the Kootenay's this week, will cycle in Creston/Lister tomorrow, Invermere and Grand Forks later this week. Not racing, just for rest and relaxation. I will check email when I can. Cheers!

Barry