New FUN Thursday TS rides for 2014

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

bikehart

Re: New FUN Thursday TS rides for 2014

Post by bikehart »

Yes 240 bpm is a little high for the over 50 set... I should either go to see the doctor or get a new battery for my HR monitor.
Hugh
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Good turn out this am for a very rainy morning. Two full teams allowed us to have three ~8km rematches of the Canada-Britain team pursuit final. Canada (Steve, Rooks, Stephane and Jay) won all three but didn't catch head-started Britain (Marcus, Christian, Hugh, and Lister) until well into each rep.

As penance, the 'British' team has to speak in Monty python falsettos at TS rides for the next week.

However all riders receive bonus gloating points for starting and finishing in fairly serious rain. TS prez John Dower cheered (jeered?) us on, but didn't get his hands dirty. C'mon John, if you're there, you can surf the lactate tsunami before class, can't you ;).

Still need more A's to push Stephane and Jay. Stephane's hr was 10 beats lower than he would have liked. You will also save us from having to hear that. :(
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Lister Farrar wrote: As penance, the 'British' team has to speak in Monty python falsettos at TS rides for the next week.
You guys are all hardcore to have been out this morning. Here's some inspiration for your penance.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Lister Farrar wrote: Still need more A's to push Stephane and Jay. Stephane's hr was 10 beats lower than he would have liked. You will also save us from having to hear that. :(
Staring at Rooks' and Steve Young's unattractive posteriors lap after lap lowered my heart rate.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I'll be away this Thursday, with family on the school march break. But I hope the regulars will continue and welcome any newbies. If the group is keen, I would have suggested bumping up to 3 x 5 laps, with the option for newer riders to drop off a lap earlier if they need or want the extra recovery, but keep the progression for the regulars.

Have fun, Stephane's comment above notwithstanding. Think of god and country or something. :)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

I am in for Thurs Mar 13.

We had a good showing last week and I want to encourage more riders to make it if they can. Anyone looking forward to participating in some races this summer will benefit from these practice sessions which can help us work as teams. I think it would be great to have Tripleshot riders clumping together helping each other out in these events (at least until the finish:)

See you at 6:00. Im buying coffee at Pure Vanilla after

Rooks
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

I'm looking forward to joining the Thursday team effort tomorrow.
Joe
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Me too…especially if Rooks is buying! ;)

Martin
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Good ride today! 14 people turned out. 3 sets of between 3 and 5 laps.

Martin
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

Another good practice session. We missed you Lister but we took what you taught us and rode with it. We weren't quite organized enough to get the team pursuit aspect going because we didn't regroup at the same times. I like the New FUN Thursday TS rides!!

Rooks
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Who's up for Thursday Threshold Thrashing?

If there's interest, I'm thinking handicap racing style. Send off the teams with time gaps, gotta stay away or chase 'em down.

Prizes for the winners. Courtesy Fairfield's Andreas.

UVic ring road, 6 sharp.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

That's gonna be your best ride of the week right there. 3 x 15' around semi/sub threshold? That's good training right there. That was a good ride. Thank you to those who participated today.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Oops, I just checked the metrics and there was nothing sub threshold about it. It was all super. Best ride of the week.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Big turnout again, 14 today. The peculiar attraction of good, hard training.

Champions of the final handicap rep, team shotblocks were Barton, Christian, Marcus and David. Here accepting the sweet spoils of victory.
image.jpg
Team shotblocks held off Chris m, me and Sylvan (Les Cardiacs, in honour of Chris coming back from surgery and me and Sylvan being near to heart attacks staying with him) in the final counting rep. Props to Sylvan who rode on the hoods to give me something to shelter behind: thx S.

Team Leather Lungs (you can hear Lisa catching you) (Lisa, Alan, and Sig) were side by side in rep two with les Cardiacs and the shotblocks. They came back on the Cardiacs in rep three, even after we added a rule to drop back 25 m when caught, tho couldn't quite come around.

In the didn't-get-the-memo department, Jay, Mike and Andrew, were obviously fast, but blew each other up in the final counting rep, and did their impression of triathletes. There will be testosterone testing next week.

Ideas for future weeks: varied rep length. Eg 4,5,6 laps ('Take that, enemy of the people'), or 7,5,3 ('slow burn to big boom'). Also thinking about a handicap Ttt on a Friday, warmup to blenkinsop, then Ttt to beacon hill. Self timed, honour system. US Postal riders need not apply.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks to your excellent recap, Lister, there's no need to actually wake up and participate in these fine-sounding sessions. One can enjoy the sportsmanship, camaraderie and competitive challenge from one's comfortable office chair, reading the forum. :P

Now where are those clip-on aerobars?
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Hmm.

Note to file.

Promo efforts not working on Rolf. Maybe if we serve breakfast?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

This was a really good ride. Effort was at 86 to 88% of max HR. Where it should be for tempo rides. I highly recommend this for improving fitness. It is quite unique to our ride genre. You are going fast but not all out. You have to be smart, be aware as you are riding with 3 or 4 others. For the group I was in we were always aware that we were being chased!

Thanks to Lister for setting this up and coaching us thru it. This is my first time on this ride. I'll be back next week.
Barton Bourassa
John D

Post by John D »

Lister Farrar wrote:Hmm.

Note to file.

Promo efforts not working on Rolf. Maybe if we serve breakfast?
If you can find some bacon flavoured shot blocks....
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Just in!
Attachments
bacon shotblocks.JPG
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

<drool>

Bloks kinda blok me up, tho, if you knowuddamean. I'd be more into these babies.