Ian Abbott
Alan Cassels
Andrew and Janet
Jill P
Roxanne Stedman
Steve May
Claire & Steve (aka Alan's draft)
Todd Hallet
Ased (he said is is doing the little loop but we have until to sooke to talk him into the big loop)
John D
Mary G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joan MacArthur

Re: Big Loop Ride July 28

Post by Joan MacArthur »

Joan M (gluten free options appreciated) thanks
DarrylW

Post by DarrylW »

Darryl Woodley
Jetz

Post by Jetz »

Marcus
Nic L
Jim W
Louise W (L1) (Peter needs to come as our sweeper again)
Steve Jennings
Mikael
Barton
Louise (L3) (I'm a maybe for a bunch of reasons and I would only be going as far as Cow Bay. Does anyone know how far that is anyway?)
Kevin and Laura!!
Joe B.
Murray T
Alan Cook
Ian Abbott
Dave Jetz
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Just to clarify from my earlier post, I am planning to stop at Lake Cowichan, not Cowichan Bay. That is plenty far enough for me. If anyone else has the same idea, let's talk. Maybe we could figure out a car pooling option to get home. At the moment, I am planning to meet Greg and kids out there but I'm sure they'd be happy not to drive all the way out there if they don't need to.

Or if anyone has any great suggestions for nice, dog friendly spots with swimming for them to meet me that would also be appreciated. The spot on the river near town that we tried a few years ago was too rocky and with too much current and deep water and no good beach so looking for somewhere else for them to hang out.

Cheers!
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

How about three groups?
Ann

Post by Ann »

Not riding but the OCD part of me needs to fix the list anyway. :D

Marcus
Nic L
Jim W
Louise W
Steve Jennings
Mikael
Barton
Louise F
Kevin and Laura
Joe B.
Murray T
Alan Cook
Ian Abbott
Alan Cassels
Andrew and Janet
Jill P
Roxanne Stedman
Steve May
Todd Hallet
Ased (he said is is doing the little loop but we have until to sooke to talk him into the big loop)
John D
Mary G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darryl Woodley
Dave Jetz
asaid

Post by asaid »

Removed myself from the list :cry: as I have other priorities that have come up Enjoy the ride!!!

Marcus
Nic L
Jim W
Louise W
Steve Jennings
Mikael
Barton
Louise F
Kevin and Laura
Joe B.
Murray T
Alan Cook
Ian Abbott
Alan Cassels
Andrew and Janet
Jill P
Roxanne Stedman
Steve May
Todd Hallet
John D
Mary G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darryl Woodley
Dave Jetz
Claire

Post by Claire »

John D wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:36 pm With nearly 24 riders signed up, and with a wide range of strengths and abilities, I propose that we plan to ride this event as two groups right from the the start.
Twenty-four and counting. With the great weather forecast, late additions are highly likely. And, while I'm all for safety in numbers along Sooke Rd, I think we can all agree that a one-up group of over 20 offers diminishing returns in that department.

So... how have multiple groups worked in the past? Particularly with respect to support vehicles? One suggestion could be that the front group, particularly if they are substantially ahead of the next group, ride unsupported. With water and food available in PR and CL, this could be quite doable. But I'm open to other ideas. And if not before, then we can sort ourselves out in the parking lot before we strike out.
John D

Post by John D »

Claire wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:29 am One suggestion could be that the front group, particularly if they are substantially ahead of the next group, ride unsupported. With water and food available in PR and CL, this could be quite doable. But I'm open to other ideas. And if not before, then we can sort ourselves out in the parking lot before we strike out.
Hi Claire;

It works best if the groups all remain in contact with the support vehicles. The BLR was never meant to be about speed.

There was an incident a few years back where a fast group went off way ahead and ended up following a different route, meaning that the the support vehicles couldn't find them. So if a group of fast riders wants to go way off the front, then they also need to realize that they cannot count on any further assistance from the two support vehicles should they run low on food/water, get into mechanical difficulties, etc.

I also think it's better that these decisions and expectations are established before we're all standing around in the parking lot on Sunday morning.

Cheer,s
John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Good comments and suggestions everyone.

From past experience with the BLR and the fact that we will be in a bike lane with fast traffic near us...
I belive if we have 28 or more riders( including the Little Loop riders) standing in the Starbucks parking lot we have three groups from the start to Sooke. Groups do not need to be very far apart. Also:

1. Meet at 6. Pre event meeting 6:25...6:35 on the road.
2. You need to be a Tripleshot and cycling B.C. member.
3. Alot of food will be available at all the stops. But bring some of your own if you have special nutritional needs.
4. You can put your own bag in the van at the start.

Any other important reminders, Marcus, John D. or Mark F. or anyone else??
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

From the very first post by Marcus:

"We start at Alpha Street Starbucks at 6:00 a.m. Ferries to Brentwood Bay depart from Mill Bay at 4:10, 5:20 and 6:30. Most riders are on the 5:20 ferry."

I am hoping we are starting at 6? That way us slower riders can make sure we catch the last ferry for sure.

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Yes Barton and Paul.

Ride starts at 6:00 or shortly thereafter.

Marcus
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Marcus
Nic L
Jim W
Louise W
Steve Jennings
Mikael
Barton
Louise F
Kevin and Laura
Joe B.
Murray T
Alan Cook
Ian Abbott
Alan Cassels
Andrew and Janet
Jill P
Roxanne Stedman
Steve May
Todd Hallet
John D
Mary G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darryl Woodley
Dave Jetz
JTyre
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Ok 6a.m. start.
My mistake. Regardless of what time we have left previous years....6am it is.
Alpha Starbucks is open at 5.30....( On no, do I need lights on the bike leaving home at 5:15)
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Starbucks Alpha street opens at 4:30a.m. Tomorrow....for you real keeners who are so excited about riding 260km you just cant wait to get going and head to Sooke at 6a.m.
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

I have done the BLR a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have a couple of comments and suggestions to pass along, and as John has wisely offered, I agree that it might be best to have a game plan before we all end up in the parking lot like sheep waiting for instructions ( like most of our morning rides!).

First off, thank you in advance to Steve and Gerry. This ride simply doesn't happen successfully without folks donating an entire day to make sure we are safe and happy. I hope you will accept our sweaty thanks every time we see you tomorrow!

Since we are approaching 30 riders, it would seem prudent to have 2 or 3 groups; I'll leave it up to the OCD and happy-to-control types to decide. My vote would be for 3 groups for most of the route. And it seems to me that 3 groups could be comprised of a mix: A2/B1, B2, B3/C. Is this something that could be announced in the forum ( and in the parking lot ) so folks can self seed?

As with our normal rides, I think it would be helpful to remind everyone that we need to regroup at the tops of the hills because inevitably the groups will split up to varying degrees. Riding together is just more fun and safer.

If I could suggest one new idea, it would be that we ALL regroup at the first 3 designated rest stops. Even if it means only a minute or two of overlap, it allows anyone the opportunity to join another group ( faster or slower ), a chance to check on everyone's progress, but most importantly, provide the feeling that we are doing this as one large group. It is a Tripleshot ride after all.

Lastly, for those doing the ride for the first time, ( and you have probably heard this advice ) be sure to eat and drink MORE than you think you need, SOONER than you think you should. It really does help!

See you all tomorrow! Andrew
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Here is the participant list with all of the comments restored. :)

Marcus
Nic L
Jim W
Louise W (L1) (Peter needs to come as our sweeper again)
Steve Jennings
Mikael
Barton
Louise F (L3) (I'm a maybe for a bunch of reasons and I would only be going as far as Cow Bay. Does anyone know how far that is anyway?)
Kevin and Laura!!
Joe B.
Murray T
Alan Cook
Ian Abbott
Alan Cassels (where are all the fat fast guys who I intend drafting behind? C'mon, sign up!)
Andrew and Janet
Jill (Gulp)
Roxanne Stedman
Steve May
Todd Hallet
John D
Mary G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darryl Woodley
Dave Jetz
JTyre (aka Alan's real draft)

p.s. I agree with everything Andrew just wrote!
Claire

Post by Claire »

This OCD type has compiled an easy-reading list of the stops.

1. Sooke River Store, corner of Sooke Road and Sooke River Road

2. Jordan River, left hand side of road just as you come to the oceanside

3. Port Renfrew, left hand side opposite Denning Road (the right turn to Lake Cowichan)

4. Lake Cowichan, Centennial Park, left hand side

5. Mill Bay Thrifty to get ferry tix

I also support Andrew's suggestions for the groupings and for all groups to reconvene at first three stops.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Paul Chris wrote:Plus... for approximaty. 85 km to Sooke and return (or longer): THE LITTLE LOOP RIDE....no drop ..please join us.
Paul C
Mark F.
Steve R.
Rolf