Monday Oct 12 Ride

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Roland

Re: Monday Oct 12 Ride

Post by Roland »

Lister Farrar wrote:Alec Walton has a nice Ti cross frame that he uses for road.
http://www.evertibikes.com/ti-fighter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false Ti is nice because it lasts forever, scratches polish out, etc. Last bike you'll ever buy.
I just bought one of these frames yesterday. It is beautiful. Last bike I'll ever buy? Can I hold you to that?
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Roland

Post by Roland »

Lister Farrar wrote:Had another thought. Anyone ridden in the bit of terrain south of Francis King, (east of Highlands road)? There might be a connector to the Francis King trails, then a trail to Hartland so we could shorten the loop and make it to Elk. Google satelite shows a new subdivision off Creed, but a signficant forested area between it and Highland.
I walk my dogs in that area. Thetis and Francis King are connected. I'm not sure how ridable the trails are, they probably wouldn't be worse than any of the stuff we rode yesterday. Not sure if I could I find the connection from the Thetis side.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Roland wrote:
Lister Farrar wrote:Alec Walton has a nice Ti cross frame that he uses for road.
http://www.evertibikes.com/ti-fighter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false Ti is nice because it lasts forever, scratches polish out, etc. Last bike you'll ever buy.
I just bought one of these frames yesterday. It is beautiful. Last bike I'll ever buy? Can I hold you to that?
Cool! Sorry, I was passing along the hype, although reputation seems to support that.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Alec

Post by Alec »

Fantastic bike - the Everti - mine is 8 years old now. It will last a long time.

Mine seems to be slowing down - must be the titanium particles deionizing. I will look into it.
Alec
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Alec wrote:Fantastic bike - the Everti - mine is 8 years old now. It will last a long time.

Mine seems to be slowing down - must be the titanium particles deionizing. I will look into it.

Sniff, sniff, I smell a bargain Rolf. Your size too. :wink:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Ach, you guys are like smack-dealers waving a dime bag under my nose. :twisted:

I definitely like the sound of a titanium cross frame as an all-round answer. But you forget that until 11 weeks ago I was blissfully unaware I needed a new bike. (I was also still happily shifting on the downtube.)

There will be more than a few bake sales between now and Purchase Day. Plus: if you think I'm verbose in my forum entries, you wouldn't believe the length of the internal memos I'll be sending to the head of Procurement over the winter. :| Perhaps between now and the spring I can insult Alec a few more times and somehow endear myself, resulting in a fire sale price... :wink:

Thanks for the enthusiasm and sharing your experience -- this conversation is far from over.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Rolf wrote: I was blissfully unaware I needed a new bike.
Hardly anyone 'needs' a new bike. They are mostly indulgences; though a much healthier one than most (vs cars, alcohol, affairs, politics). Maybe you could sell it on the basis that a new bike is cheaper than a mistress?

(Take that you beginner addict !)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Lister and I have a difference of opinion. Not only can you "need" a new bike, in some cases you "must" have a new bike. In fact just posting this makes me realize that I have not bought a new bike in several days, ergo I need a new bike!

Michael
Roland

Post by Roland »

I think everybody 'needs' 12 bikes as follows:

- Road
- Road (rain)
- TT
- Cyclocross
- Mountain (Cross Country)
- Mountain (Downhill)
- Mountain (All Moutain)
- Trials
- Tandem
- Cargo Bike
- City Bike/Cruiser
- Fixie

Some can do double duty in a pinch (such as Fixie/Rain bike), but it's not advisable.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Don't forget the Europe bike. Peter. Thanks for the bike suit case. Heidi talked me out of it at the last minute - several trains transfers plus a rainy forecast made it somewhat unreasonable - if you need it, it's got my dismantled bike in it (that's how close it was).

But, if I had a Europe bike, I'd have been able to ride today (talk about secret training!).

So, you need 13 bikes.

JT (from the home of Handsel and Gretel, where bike races are on the evening news)
Alec

Post by Alec »

Rolf - also know that you can only use the "this is the last bike I will ever buy" only twice in a relationship - especially if you have children.

If my bike was run over, stolen, lit on fire or covered with H1N1, I would not be allowed to purchase another bike. I used the 'last bike ' argument on three separate occasions with my wife - she is much smarter than I and remembers where and when I used this statement. So I am keeping my bike. Forever..
Alec
Katie

Post by Katie »

Alec - I believe your error was that you did not first establish a need for 12 single purpose bikes before using the "last bike I will ever buy" statement.

I believe Roland is setting the ground work for using that statement 12 times (or 13 with JohnT's help).