Nanaimo TTT 21 Aug - Call for Teams and Volunteers

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Re: Nanaimo TTT 21 Aug - Call for Teams and Volunteers

Post by Plawless »

ok, for all you folks out there who want to be on a team but havent quite managed to cobble one together - come up anyway. Lets all show up and then sort it out at 11am (not 12:00 mind you - 11).

As for you Steven I think you get the best drafts of all. I think you get to ride with Ryan, Moose and me. As for the "no drop" concept - I like it in principle but at a certain point if I beg enough you will just have to let me die alone!

So come on over, up, down and then MAKE SOME FRIENDS! 8)

Only caveat here is that I cant guarantee team compostion (obviously) but we will do what we can to get everyone who wants to race a chance to suffer - misery loves company after all!

Peter
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

I still need to confirm that the juniors have rides to the event but otherwise, Steven, I can give you a lift up and maybe team up with you, Peter, and Gavin (if he's in). In a pinch I can take two more people but it would be *cozy*.

R
John D

Post by John D »

OK, I've tried to ignore this for months now. Really, I have. But my pedantic tendencies just won't let me let it go. And yes, I meant pedantic...get your minds out of the gutter.

Anyhow. For the love of god people, it's "Alces", not "Alce"!!!! The "s" in the latin binomial Alces alces, does not denote plurality. 1 moose = 1 Alces alces, just as 1 human = 1 Homo sapiens. And don't even get me started about the fact that Alces should be italicized. Always. No exceptions.

John T, help a fellow biologist out here!

For the record, you guys might also want to consider cross-posting any Alces-related race reports here. :wink:

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Interestingly, at least for the pedantically analytical, there is only moose in English regardless of number of moose. Also, I have lots of room to give people a ride home (and up, but I will probably go up early and stop in Shawnigan Lake on the way up).
steven grandy

Post by steven grandy »

Thanks Ryan, I'm definitely in.
arfenarf

Post by arfenarf »

John D wrote:Anyhow. For the love of god people, it's "Alces", not "Alce"!!!! The "s" in the latin binomial Alces alces, does not denote plurality. 1 moose = 1 Alces alces, just as 1 human = 1 Homo sapiens. And don't even get me started about the fact that Alces should be italicized. Always. No exceptions.
You Moose be kidding.

Kate
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I just love this club... Italicized or not. Personally Campagnolo is too expensive for me.

Many thanks to Ryan who coached the juniors this am for the TTT Sunday, and taking them up for a composite team with Evan Carey and Duncan Grant, with two other Grants from Comox, who turn out to be distant cousins of Duncan. To add to the conspiracy theory of Grants taking over the world, Alex Grant and her Dad Robbie Grant attended today as well. No relation. Suuuure.

Alex claims she's undertrained, but did turns through four pretty hard pieces with the boys. While at their isolated family place in the townships, Alex and her dad drove out an hour to train with the Sherbrooke club. Riding her TS project 'cross bike on gravel roads too.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
bill

Post by bill »

Count me in to Volunteer.
Bill
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

John D wrote: Anyhow. For the love of god people, it's "Alces", not "Alce"!!!! The "s" in the latin binomial Alces alces, does not denote plurality. 1 moose = 1 Alces alces, just as 1 human = 1 Homo sapiens. And don't even get me started about the fact that Alces should be italicized. Always. No exceptions.

JD
Google translate seems to disagree with you. Looks like it agrees for spanish and portuguese, Still, if you put it in with an "s" for italian, it gets unhappy.

The original name was an attempt at an italian translation, not a latin one......what with our euro white moose being a cyclist and all.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Bill, bring your bike as well. Either to ride to a volunteer location or...... Simon and John G are trying to back out (being all soft etc) maybe a third would put some spine in them.....
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Funny. :x
John D

Post by John D »

Josh.E wrote:
Google translate seems to disagree with you. Looks like it agrees for spanish and portuguese, Still, if you put it in with an "s" for italian, it gets unhappy.
Yes, it does. Then again, Google Translate's knowledge of the arcane rules (and history) governing official biological nomenclature is about as extensive as my knowledge of who's who in the pro cycling world...pretty close to zero. Another Italian word, incidentally! :wink:

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
jj12

Post by jj12 »

If anyone knows where the races starts can you post a link to it, i can't seem to find naniamo lakes road? please more info.
jj12

Post by jj12 »

left or right off 19?
debh

Post by debh »

How to get there:

From Nanaimo: Take Highway #1 South from Nanaimo or south from Duke
Point ferry terminal. Turn West on Nanaimo River Road (approximately 3km
south of Duke Point Road). Follow for approximately 4km to intersection of
Nanaimo River Road and White Rapids Rd. Park in Jonanco Hobby Workshop
parking lot at 2745 White Rapids Rd.

From Victoria: Take Hwy #1 North to approximately 3km north of Nanaimo
Airport, take exit onto Nanaimo River Rd. Follow Nanaimo River Rd. for
approximately 4km to intersection of Nanaimo River Road and White Rapids
Rd. Park in Jonanco Hobby Workshop parking lot at 2745 White Rapids Rd.

See the race info posted on the TS Homepage or:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/122889/2011%20TTT%20BY.pdf
---
It was 11 more than necessary. -- Jacques Anquetil