Cross Ride

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

burtonbikes

Re: Cross Ride

Post by burtonbikes »

Sounds like I missed a good cross ride on Sunday -- I was road riding with Val - which was a stunner too. :)

So I'm hoping for a cross ride in the morning - I'm going to go ahead a put the cross wheels back on my bike and show up ready to go at 6am.

Anyone?

Tom B.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Tom. Welcome back. Real girlfriends are overrated. Tell Val you're coming to the dark side.
There's a small chance of rain. We'll all be there.
Attachments
200w_d.gif
200w_d.gif (86.04 KiB) Viewed 9731 times
Alan

Post by Alan »

This is John, Rolf and I arriving for coffee after a great cross ride.
Attachments
giphy-downsized.gif
giphy-downsized.gif (941.28 KiB) Viewed 9723 times
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I'll likely be out tmrw am as well. Unless this will be an awkward imposition on the bromance?
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Feel’n a bit under the weather so it’ll have to be a game day call for me — the penguin giphys are awefully enticing though.

John
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dear Louise (and everyone else who doesn't identify with penguins): the last thing I'm sure we want is for anyone to feel less welcome on rides from our witless banter. There ain't no property in a ride. Golly!

This JAR thing is mostly a forum construct anyway. Our warped senses of "humour" have tapped into pre-teen years of yore. We mostly just ignore each other on rides. (Or at least I try to.)

I may see you out there tomorrow—though Wednesday's my usual ride. We'll see how early I naturally rise.

For those of you who joined our gorgeous tour yesterday in the sun, here's an edit, which features a lot of Garth's fetching orange jacket... and my cat.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Hi Rolf (and John, Alan) - I was totally joking about the bromance and know that its an all-included CX club... There is no way that I am in the same league as you wordsmiths despite my many years at school so it was my lame attempt at humor. Clearly, I need to be more obvious next time :D .

And I do like penguins, although I think it might be hard for Alan to hit one unless he moves to...say...Invercargill? Points if you know where that is w/o looking it up. It's where I once saw penguins (not in a zoo).

I still plan to be out on my knobbies tmrw. Hopefully some others will be.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Louise needn’t make ANY apologies for wordsmithing — she has been posting her share of zingers, all much appreciated.

For my part, I feel my role is to keep Alan and Rolf distracted as much as possible lest they do even more harm to themselves and others. I’m not like them. I take this on for the good of the club, and I say this in all sneeriousness.

Rolf, great video!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Fun little spin this morning! Thanks, Geoff, for inciting soiled chamoiseses. That little cliffside, mountain goat trail would be particularly fun in wet & wild weather. Hope the rest of your ride went well.

I gave up, Louise. I'm surprised to hear you saw penguins at only 46°S! To think: we're more north than Invercargill is south. I've always wrongly thought of penguins as polar exotica—like polar bears, arctic foxes, leopard seals, and Santa Claus.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Turns out the birds of the day weren't penguins after all, but owls. Lots of hooting around UVic warning us not to fall off our bikes, as they'd swoop down and gobble up anything that looks like roadkill.
The Sunday video was one of your best so far, Truffaut, artistically enhanced by the fleeting images of homocross-erotica (peeling a banana, blowing up a tube, feline closeups--you get the picture).
My new gif habit is due to John and Giphy.com
Click on Mr. Owl's head.
Attachments
giphy (1).gif
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Alan, the comic opportunities with the spinning owls head are many but I must get to work saving the planet, including penquins (really), a topic for coffee (or slow dance, your choice).
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Alan: your gif ain't gif-ing the goods—at least in my browser. Instead of attaching it as a file down below the message body, it's better if you hit the "Img" button up above and then paste in the gif's URL. Then it looks like this:

Also: thanks much for your laudatory puffs; I'll take what I can get. But I'm painfully aware of repeating the same old tropes in my clips. It's getting harder to memorialize the exquisite pleasures of our cross adventures in an original way. (And while John and I are trying to row back on the bromance talk in the spirit of Club cohesion, leave it to you to stoke the flames of ribaldry! :roll: )
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that sultry strategic brown banana peel. I thought maybe it was because I just read the story of Aziz Ansari and still had a little throw up in my mouth and wasn't thinking clearly.

Rolf - things are a little different down under...yep, penguins in Invercargill. If you hadn't ridden off as I was being impaled I might have saved you the internet search. Thankfully I was with a Viking. :wink:

Fun ride this morning! As always impressed with #38's technical skills. Now that should have been memorialized on video Rolf, although I don't blame you for making sure you didn't slip into the sea instead of filming Geoff's mountain goat impression.
burtonbikes

Post by burtonbikes »

Hello Owls,

I enjoyed this morning's ride on the dark side- precarious at times, following you hoots! But I do like to live on the edge. And I did an extra long ride as I thought I heard an owl tweeting that you were going to Shoal Point for coffee. But I manage to mingle with a flock of sparrows. :wink:

See you tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

Tom B
Alan

Post by Alan »

This is Tom this morning, riding on the dark side....

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

It was really great having you out Tom although I’m dissapointed with myself for childishly chasing down Rolf through the trees at the same time Louise was being impaled and Geoff was close to falling off a cliff to certain death. And now you with the sparrows. (And Alan, you’ve got a giph for the giphy’s.)

So Rolf, what’s up? Are you leading a farmcross ride or not?
Attachments
8386FB8D-3291-4FF4-A338-78F50CEBA059.jpeg
8386FB8D-3291-4FF4-A338-78F50CEBA059.jpeg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 9624 times
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

:lol: Looks like I need another drink. And quick!

Yes, I'll be out. Keen to mix it up a little. I do like the Shelbourne warm-up, but I'm really open to anything. And could ride as late as 8, if anyone wants to sneak in a little Elk Lake or...?
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

I’m planning on CX riding tomorrow morning. Anyone else?

But where? I’m longing for Elk but would be happy with Beaver. (Alan, watch yourself now.)
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Looks like a good old-fashioned Aussie magpie swooping, Alan. People down there ride with big eyes painted on their helmets during nesting season.

Martin
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'm thinking maybe we need to start a new thread or sub forum called "Talking about Animals".
Let's face it, we cyclists are basically boring humans so the discussion about running into, eating, being attacked by, or watching other species consumes about 90% of our non-cycling conversations.
So following that thread, John, you should know that the word 'beaver' works for me on many levels, was always my favourite animal and, as a young boy,my siblings called me 'Bucky' due to my beaver-like bucked teeth. So, John, our handshake...