Wednesday, January 15 - SNOWcross!

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Re: Wednesday, January 15 - SNOWcross!

Post by Rolf »

That's the spirit, Megan! Just like skiing, only with bonus hidden curbs...

Todd: judging from the walk I just got back from, it's piling up pretty fast, and there's a decent amount of semi-frozen slush under the new stuff. I'd say it's an MTB-highly-advisable day. Or something with 2"+ tires anyway. The wide bars and more upright position of an MTB would also really help staying rubber-side up.

Claire: your method makes sense coming from way up north. :D Todd's about 1.5K away: so still probably enough to figure it out. But Ron's 137m from the meet-up. Ron: we'll hit Pemberton right away so you can see how it's gonna go...

Latest forecast sounds like it will be good and thick out there:
A low pressure centre will approach Vancouver Island tonight. Snow will intensify during the night. A further 10 to 15 cm of snow will fall over southern Vancouver Island by Wednesday morning.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

LouiseF wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm
I'm eyeing my cross country skis right about now but my fat tires would be so much fun too!!!! I may need to do both!!!
Dear Louise,
I think that you are the right person to to challenge the Cedar Hill course record. It has stood for almost two years now and the current record holder is getting a little uppity about it.

https://www.strava.com/segments/14125829

Good luck,
Mikael
Claire

Post by Claire »

Well, that was fun! The "plowed" roads (McKenzie/Quadra) were passable in the traffic path (though slightly dangerous when traffic picked up after 6) but the Goose had snow up to our axles and so we just enjoyed a quiet stroll for a bit. Thankfully, Saanich Centre Sbux was open so, even though we didn't quite make it down to Fairfield... we made our own fun in the hood!
The attachment snowygoose.jpg is no longer available
snowywalk.jpg
Attachments
snowygoose.jpg
schouten

Post by schouten »

Nice pics Claire and it sounds like you made the right call to stay local. Here's hoping the snow recedes for some good riding this weekend...
Bandit
mashby

Post by mashby »

LouiseF wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm I'm eyeing my cross country skis right about now but my fat tires would be so much fun too!!!! I may need to do both!!!
L3 - not recommended!!! The skis will get in your spokes and you'll put your eye out if you crash your bike with ski poles!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Hi Claire,

One frame, and you've got yourself a photograph. Two frames, and you're on your way to a giphy. 

p.s. Rolf, get that video out pronto, will ya!  Here's a song suggestion.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Ecchh! I forced myself to watch that to the end. I found Ms. Murray and her translucent trousers ... unhelpful. :| I will accept bona fide music suggestions until I go to bed tonight. :)

That was ridonculous fun this morning. Thanks to those of you who were dumb or brave enough to come out! And thanks to the November Project cult adherents for the hero's "sprint" finish in BHP! :lol:

I've set up an album for all the cool photos members have been taking this week of bikes, and snow, and bikes in snow: https://tripleshotcyclingphotos.smugmug ... now-Rides/

Direct link for uploading is here: https://tripleshotcyclingphotos.smugmug ... 0SnowRides

📸: The Beard
Last edited by Rolf on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

This glorious morning has given rise to an interview request from CBC.
Tomorrow around 7:20 I'll be speaking with the local CBC morning show about what it's like commuting in the snow.
(Thanks Megan)
I have no idea what I am going to say, and so here's to shooting from the hip...

mashby

Post by mashby »

I There's a cultivated controversy around why the bike lanes are cleared better and more quickly than the roads. I expect you are in the bike apologist role, Alan.

While there's a narrative that the city is deliberately prioritizing transportation alternatives, I suspect the truth of the cleared bike lanes is more mundane. The tool used to clear bike lanes only has a few km of work to do. There are hundreds of roads.

I rode to work in the snow on Monday and (with my kid) Tuesday. I enjoyed the additional protection of the bike lanes. It was fine, but occasionally slippery.
Other than this morning's stupidity, I stayed off the roads today. I was surprised to see a handful of commuters out today - one in mechanical distress but no worse than many of the stuck cars. At least you can put your bike on the bus.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

That’s cool Alan!!

Just try to get plenty of sleep tonight; a tired, grumpy Alan historically hasn’t interviewed well...
schouten

Post by schouten »

Also, I can tell you that not all bike lanes were cleared this morning. Fort St bike lane were horrible and impossible to use.
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Alan, you were born to put the "personal" back in "Radio Personality"! The children and I will be huddled round the Magnavox wireless to hear your unique and colourful perspective.

And Johnny Tyre, here's a ride edit from this morning: https://vimeo.com/rolfwarburton/snowride2020

It's a bit of a quick-and-dirty; but it should still stimulate the memory banks years from now, when we've forgotten all the stupid things we did as younger old people.
Thomasmeg

Post by Thomasmeg »

Well done Alan! Sorry about the interview request, haha. We were spotted by the CBC paparazzi along the way...leading to questions about who was crazy enough to be there when I got to the office. Great video Rolf!