BIG LOOP RIDE - 270km July 7

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

FairweatherMike

Re: BIG LOOP RIDE - 270km July 7

Post by FairweatherMike »

I kinda like the idea of two teams going in opposite directions to see who finishes first! :twisted: - imagine Tour de Whatever meets Amazing Race...

I took the Victoria Gran Fondo route (as seen by millions on MapMyRide) and mapped it in the reverse direction, particularly as I wanted to look at the elevations: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/220940469 . The climbs and descents are roughly symmetrical, with the steepest section, apart from the Malahat, coming at the Century mark - miles, that is. The ride ends a lot more gently with this route, and as you can see from the map is more or less a straight shot southeast along the water which, as the sailors will tell you, should be subject to afternoon convective winds from the west. And probably dry and sunny at that time, as opposed to the cold morning fog and mists we would encounter if starting toward Renfrew.

As to the prospect of the Malahat at the end of the day (it's actually a beautiful ride up in the early morning, and you have time to admire the scenery) I'll give Kate the last word on that:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4368
Mike Skinner
Paul C.

Re: BIG LOOP RIDE - 270km July 7

Post by Paul C. »

Big Loop Ride Sunday July 7

Thanks for all the comments and route suggestions...someone has to decide, so we have decided.

Its the clockwise route,going to Sooke first.

Leaving Starbucks Mayfair drivethru location,at 5:45. It opens at 5:30 on Sundays.We will catch the 6:30 ferry from Millbay and ride home from Brentwood Bay.This changes the distance to about 250km which we will confirm.

We plan to stop for a lunch at the Coastal Cafe in Port Renfrew. Mark Ford is arranging a Tripleshot special. If anyone wants to "race" it, go for it and Mark and I will eat your lunch.

Please join us for this classic West Coast Epic ride.
FairweatherMike

This could turn into a "big production": BIG LOOP July 7

Post by FairweatherMike »

Not being able to do as many early morning 3S rides as I would like, I have continued my practice of doing noon-hour spin class at the Y once or twice a week. One of the personable spin leaders there, John Kelly, was intrigued when I told him about the BIG LOOP plans for July 7, and asked if it would be OK to tag along with his vehicle to video the adventure!

I say why not? (This could end up being a fun thing to show at a 3S gathering) And having another vehicle along for support - it could end up being the only vehicle if we don't hit Marcus's threshold of 10 participants - is never a bad idea.

What say everybody else?
Mike Skinner