SUPER EXCITING NEWS - a TS Race "Team"

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

AdamD

Re: SUPER EXCITING NEWS - a TS Race "Team"

Post by AdamD »

one question. Is it a true white, or a creme like in the proofs?
That was my thought process behind the large black and white sections on this kit
Adam de Vos
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Hey Peter and Josh[and other TS gang] Racing kit looks great...really cool. The racing team is going to look impressive. I will be buying at least a jersey and hat.

Now ,can we get out a few more of the 55 plus guys racing[ although Barry and Marcus do a good job of beating me].
And I sure hope we see some of our newer fast women at a start line, such as Louise,Lindsy, Minda,JaneV.and Alexis. pc
Ian

Post by Ian »

As I do intend on making a triumphant (hopefully) return to racing in argyle when I'm back in Canada, count me in. This stuff looks fantastic!
spearson

Post by spearson »

In.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

I'm in for sure! Love the racing kit, awesome design, awesome colour choices!
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

I will be a proud supporter of TS Racing...one of everything please.

Hugh
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Josh,

The design looks awesome.. retro, and stylie. What becomes a curiosity is that we'll have two jerseys, and that alone will create 'exclusiveness' versus 'inclusiveness'. I know, the issue... a lot of us just bought jerseys, and so asking us all to swap out to look uniform makes no sense, but does it makes sense to have two distinct jerseys? We can be a race club and an enthusiast club without dressing the part, can't we?

I'm all for the new jersey, but I suggest we not order these until we've done our 2011 sponsorship campaign. I was hoping my company would be able to sponsor the club/team in 2011, in a supporting role.

That said, are sponsors now allowed to choose if they sponsor the team versus the club?

Perhaps the plan to have a distinct race kit isn't open for debate. I'm not arguing the design, I think it's brilliant and presents Tripleshot's lineage of argyle well. I wonder if Spinnakers would like to see a Beer on the jersey instead of coffee? Perhaps a question we best not ask :-)
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Another few points regarding the proposed new race jerseys: If someone decides mid-season to 'get into racing', they may not have the official race jersey, and so will not match the rest of the group out there racing... i.e. not be so 'inclusive'. Presence and uniformity are important for us and for our sponsors.

For example, it wasn't until late in this season that I decided to try 'cross racing, having 'retired' from racing in 1999. If all the other seasoned cross TSC racers had their race team kit, I'd be odd person out wearing the old-skool club kit, despite being registered in the race representing Tripleshot/Spinnakers. Uniformity.

Here's my suggestions:

1. One official 2011 team/club kit... Josh's new design.
2. One 2011 jersey per member at cost, any additional kit has a profit built in.
3. Race Team members have obligations otherwise no perks. Obligations TBD.
4. Benefits of one jersey: maximum exposure for our 2011 sponsors: pervasive presence!
5. New Jersey follows 2011 sponsor campaign: I have a company that wants to sponsor the team/club!
6. Old jersey okay for club rides, but new ones preferred for racing = better story for sponsors.
7. New Jersey mandatory for subsidized Race Team members. No jersey, no perks.
8. Stay with Champ-Sys. We know the kit, pricing, etc.. plan for annual kit obsolescence to accommodate new sponsors.

So, count me in for the new kit, but make my first SS jersey at cost, with any other kit at a small profit: proceeds to the racing members. I'll order a full kit.. two jerseys, vest, arm warmers, gloves, socks, bibs.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I like the new kit a lot and if we go ahead with it, count me in for jersey and bib shorts. I also agree with that it has the potential to take us back down an A+, A, B, lions and tigers, etc. path. And, then there's the issue of cost for people that just purchased new kit.

One possible idea: Racing Team helmets, gloves, socks, tires, and/or shoes. New custom helmets in particular would stand out in a similar way that new jerseys would - maybe even better, given that we all already have matching jerseys. They'd finish what we started with the clothing kit. Bikes with matching tire side walls could be dramatic. Next year maybe frames? Avia West has, or had, a deal with a frame company - matching bikes would be too cool for school.

Just an idea.

John
Roland

Post by Roland »

4827north wrote:Josh,
I'm all for the new jersey, but I suggest we not order these until we've done our 2011 sponsorship campaign. I was hoping my company would be able to sponsor the club/team in 2011, in a supporting role.
Speaking of sponsors, is there anybody in the club with no shame who is willing to go chase some bigger name sponsors?

For a bike sponsor I'm thinking Ridley. Norco has recently (late '09) become Ridley's Canadian distributer and is doing a lot to promote the brand in Canada. They've recently picked up Wendy Simms of Nanaimo as a sponsored rider. I've heard they are considering sponsoring Organic Athlete Victoria as well (and that club is pretty much just Dave). They make road, cross & mountain bikes and we've already have several members that ride Ridleys. I think it would be a good fit.

Everti may be another option for a bike sponsor, but their bikes are more expensive and their range of bikes is more limited.

For a component sponsor, Shimano might be an option. They currently sponsor Glenowyn's club (Team Alliance) and they get killer deals on components. Now that Joele is a Shimano rep, she may be able to help us with getting sponsorship.

Schwalbe North America is based in Victoria and while they already have a club in Victoria, they may be willing to pick up another.

A bike shop sponsor has been mentioned a few times, but it's always been a controversial. I don't expect that's changed.

With the size of the club, I think we have a realistic chance to pick up some bigger name sponsors. It just requires a good proposal. One angle we can play is the number of people the club as introduced to group riding and to racing. With cycling increasing in popularity, I think companies are more interested in targeting the MAMIL types than the hard core racers. Our club can help them do that.

Is there anybody that wants to take this on? It'll take a good proposal on what Tripleshot can offer and somebody with no fear of rejection.

:)
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
jpauly

Post by jpauly »

They look great. Brenna and I are in.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I'm interested in helping with sponsorship, but worry a little we get distracted with eye candy (more clothes, frames and sunglasses, for eg) and not the core expenses of racing like travel, accomodation, entry fees, gear like tt wheels and helmets, and consumables like race tires etc. Wind tunnel testing would have much more effect than a new frame. It's easier to find free stuff, but it's a lot of work, servicing sponsors and deciding who gets what. A jersey is a ferry fare for a carload of racers, the bibs the gas, and a frame is weekend of hotels and meals. The only* place equipment makes sense to me is a trailer load of basic cross bikes for us to take round schools and run try-it clinics for kids.

(Where's that eyore signature again?)

* edit. Well, not the only place, but you get my drift.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I hope no one thought I wanted sponsors or non-racing TS members to contribute cash for race team helmets, frames, etc. I just figured we might get a group purchase deal (and maybe a custom Race Team colour scheme). Triple Shot/Spinnakers car magnets would be cool though, even if they wouldn't make anyone faster.

Lister's Volvo? http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-u ... csT3wbdoHw

JT
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

Ah... the kit is black...I'm in. Black kit usually wins :) jersey, shorts, arm and leg warmers for me.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Roland wrote:
Speaking of sponsors, is there anybody in the club with no shame who is willing to go chase some bigger name sponsors?

For a bike sponsor I'm thinking Ridley. Norco has recently (late '09) become Ridley's Canadian distributer and is doing a lot to promote the brand in Canada. They've recently picked up Wendy Simms of Nanaimo as a sponsored rider. I've heard they are considering sponsoring Organic Athlete Victoria as well (and that club is pretty much just Dave). They make road, cross & mountain bikes and we've already have several members that ride Ridleys. I think it would be a good fit.

Everti may be another option for a bike sponsor, but their bikes are more expensive and their range of bikes is more limited.

Schwalbe North America is based in Victoria and while they already have a club in Victoria, they may be willing to pick up another.

A bike shop sponsor has been mentioned a few times, but it's always been a controversial. I don't expect that's changed.

:)
Roland, I agree - bike shop controversial - the issue is loyalty and discounts that attach to that, and the brands we like associated to the shops we deal with. I'm all for supporting local bike shops. We'll do that regardless of sponsorship, and will get "frequent flyer" discounts regardless of sponsorship. Product is another story... Schwalbe may be interested. The team size is large enough that their discounts for members will be effective. BUT - we need to buy product. So, if we all loath Schwalbe tires, there's no point.. However, seeing the club bikes out there I know we respect the quality of the Ultremo R.1 and the Racing Ralphs. Avia West was/is sponsored by Schwalbe. I will ask around. See if we can secure sponsorship.

As far as Ridley... definitely a nice bike brand. I think I best 'in' there is through OBB to weave our way to sponsorship vis-a-vis Norco. A reasonable discount for members will certainly see an increase in Ridley's on the 'cross scene, but whether it has impact on the road scene is questionable. I've delt with bike sponsorship before (Giant/Atomic Racing) and it's difficult to retain this kind of sponsor.

Since I'm a fan of Schwalbe, I'll see what I can do to line something up for 2011.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

slight tweak to the artwork. (as attached on page 1)

Changed the "TS RACING" to "TRIPLESHOT Spinnakers RACING", Bill's logo is now on there as it should be, and I've added a small Canadian flag to the back of the collar at Dave S's request

gear order should be up today or tomorrow.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

any chance of upgrading the quality of gear by going to a different supplier................
spearson

Post by spearson »

.........No.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

The artwork is done and in the process of being approved using champ-sys templates. Also I have color samples in the mail from them. Changing over to another supplier essentially means starting the artwork again from scratch to change to their design templates, which is days of work and something I don't have more time to do.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.