Cross Ride

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Re: Cross Ride

Post by Rolf »

I am.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

The usual time and place or would be interested in a slightly later start?

Any route plans?
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Later is bad for me. Ffield St. Arbucks at 7:30.

But if crossers head north, you could meet us and get out of bed later. How about we do this: Cook St. warmup, Cedar Hill GC, Bow Park, meet you at Glendenning and Mt Doug X Rd. (should be about 8-ish), then Lochside, maybe up through Cordova Bay, ROBP, anti-clockwise around Beaver/Elk Lakes, then over to the Interurban/HCP run south to Colquitz via Quicks Bottom, Copley, Panama Flats...

Just some ideas; I’m really open. Just need to be done coffee by 11 at the latest.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Wish I could make it but we’ve family staying over. Here’s my new avatar illustrating what I’ll be doing instead:
Attachments
5E6AA6A5-A56B-479D-BE1C-4462C8855FAF.jpeg
5E6AA6A5-A56B-479D-BE1C-4462C8855FAF.jpeg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

In. John. Bring them with you.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

You’ll be in prison? Lying on a large sanitary napkin? Recovering from chemotherapy?

I’m worried, John.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Neil: good thought but not a stitch of Lycra in those pyjamas :D .

Rolf:
Attachments
62A8919F-EDE3-42D7-A4E7-6D66624D2D46.jpeg
62A8919F-EDE3-42D7-A4E7-6D66624D2D46.jpeg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 9223 times
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I'll either be at FF SBX or at Glendenning and Mt. Doug X per Rolf's offer (at 8 am). My friend Graham who bailed on Thurday's frost fest may come down from Cordova Bay and meet us somewhere thereabouts.

Rolf - you do have to come up and out of your way from Lochside to collect me at Glendenning. Were you thinking of a lower Mt. Doug cruise from there or double back to Lochside? I could come down to the trail if that is easier.

Some other suggestions - we could hit roads behind Elk Lake to find the Caldecott Connector, onto the gravel rail trail on west saanich, down prospect to executive to Killarney lake, around the lake and back out to connect back on the rail trail then to Camosun etc, etc.....

John - enjoy your well deserved rest and day off!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

No, it’s fine to come up to Glendenning, Louise. We’ll skip Playfair, but this lets us do Bow on the way. We can then head due west on Mt. Doug X to connect with Lochside. Best to stay out of Mt. Doug with all the holiday dog-walkers.

I like your ideas lots! Haven’t done Executive uphill. We should be a tidy little group of people using knobblies to dodge frost.

John: Is that the one where Capt. Picard saves the crew of the Enterprise by finding just the right phrase to placate the leader of a mysterious race of headless squirrels? Cuz I missed that episode.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Can’t compete with that. You crack me up. I rest for another day.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

That was a lovely, frost-free spin this morning, L&G. (Neil & Norm: what happened to ya?)

I pushed the pace a little, soloing home from Prospect. As I crossed that Colquitz bridge—it was slick and cold—I was actively thinking about Martin and Greg (and Alan!?) going down on it earlier in the season. Despite this alertness, I feathered my brakes just as I turned off the end and my front end slid out. Good thing the cam was rolling. :roll: It's getting quite a record, that stretch of wood...

Happy New Year, Tripleshot cyclocrossers! It's been a season of discovery and newfound riding joy for me. Thanks for so many great ride memories—and for putting up with all my wrong turns and erratic, video-capture moments. :oops:
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Thought “wrong turns” and “erratic” were the point. Your video captures, ambrosia.

Thanks Rolf for introducing me to this madness and to yourself — both top highlights in my 2017. And obviously the same to the rest of you nutters.

More please for 2018.

John
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'll be there Rolf, and if John can't make it, he can 'follow' us surreptitiously, on Strava. I have read his stars and sense his new year is all about embarking on a very bad and addictive social media habit.
After the ride tomorrow I have to be back to join an 11am Polar Bear swim at Ross Bay. Incidentally, you probably don't remember the New Year's Ride a few years ago when I had that little thing with the deer (as pictured)? Strange to be sleeping on the side of the road, eh?
Attachments
deer kill.jpg
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

You’re so very wrong Alan, I do not have and addictive personality, I do not have and addictive personality, I do not have and addictive personality, I do not have and addictive personality, ...

Too busy developing my bitmoji personality. Reflecting your influence I offer this:
Attachments
F569994C-92C0-4155-8488-B90AEB621032.jpeg
F569994C-92C0-4155-8488-B90AEB621032.jpeg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 9137 times
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Just when I thought this thread couldn’t get any more weird, it does.

Great riding this year! And thanks for kicking this off, Wonger!
wonger

Post by wonger »

Greg F wrote:Just when I thought this thread couldn’t get any more weird, it does.

Great riding this year! And thanks for kicking this off, Wonger!
Thanks for not calling me girlfriend.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

L3: NY's Eve edit is up (with a(nother) crash, salty language, and a terrible soundtrack so cheezie it could have been made by Hawkins. :oops: )

FarmCross tomorrow, if anyone's innerested...
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

??? Crossing Friday January 5 AM Regular time or later? Fossy? Alan? Rolf? others?

Thanks
Norman
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

5 a.m.? You retired guys are too hardcore for me. :wink:

I’ll be out for a Crossy tomorrow, starting 6 a.m. at Oak Bay High. Like a good cuppa tea, a cooked chicken breast, a kiss, and other stuff: it should be warm and moist. I’m thinking something maybe a little longer, ideally ending downtown around 8:30 or so. Democratic, pre-ride discussions shall settle the agenda. Pace will inevitably be pretty easypeasy, with regroupings after each stretch of trail.

As a general comment, every last Tripleshotter is very capable of these rides. Some nimble folks even join us on road bikes, with road tires. So if you're cross-curious, c’mon out! We won’t tell your Zwifting buddies doing short pulls in their basements. :D
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf, I’m in, including on the extension.

Norm, be aware that “easy peasy” is speedy Rolf’s characterization. “Easy wheezy” is how most of the rest of us would characterize these rides. We’d all agree though that regrouping is for sure.

Not since discovering zip lock bags have I had so much fun. Looking forward to seeing as many as possible out tomorrow. On a recent ride that #38 led we had eleven.

John