Ultergra vs DuraAce vs Scram Red

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

AdamD

Re: Ultergra vs DuraAce vs Scram Red

Post by AdamD »

Personally i prefer the shimano levers to SRAM. For me i find it takes too much wrist movement to down shift on SRAM, I would so make a decision based on your favourite lever design. That being said DuraAce 7900 front shifts are beyond insane, so smooth, you dont even realize you just shifted.
Adam de Vos
4827north

Post by 4827north »

AdamD wrote:Personally i prefer the shimano levers to SRAM. For me i find it takes too much wrist movement to down shift on SRAM, I would so make a decision based on your favourite lever design. That being said DuraAce 7900 front shifts are beyond insane, so smooth, you dont even realize you just shifted.
Yeah, for sure. the shifters are your main interface to the group set; is where your perception begins. If the hood position sucks, the shifters ergonomically don't jive with you, you won't like the group set. As a comparison, a friend of mine ordered a new bike last spring with Sram Red. Like me, he had been a die-hard Shimano guy. By mid summer he went back to Shimano, ordering a Dura Ace group. I benefited by scooping his nearly new Red for my cross bike at a great deal.. price of Apex, basically. He liked the ergo of the Red, whereas having converted back he found the left shifter of the DA 7900 has a plastic bit that 'gets in his way'. He's used it it now and has stopped whining about it.

Part of that could be he actually got used to the Sram Red, and part of it is, I think, a flaw in their design. The older 7800 didn't have that plastic bit poking out as you shift. Anyway, his main reason to go back to DA was based on one thing - his winter bike has DA 7800 on it, and he didn't want to transition to/fro two different interfaces. I was in the same boat, but went the other way... ditching my 7800 that was my cross (to Stephane) in favor of Sram.

Familiarity is a key component to whether you like or dislike something, for sure.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Quentin wrote:There could be good deal had here: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... 0_13961362
Good deal indeed, I picked up the entire bike for $30, lots of great parts on it, I guess he thought it was worthless cause of the broken forks + untrued wheels
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

well done Quentin and Jeremy!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

jeremy wrote:
Quentin wrote:There could be good deal had here: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... 0_13961362
Good deal indeed, I picked up the entire bike for $30, lots of great parts on it, I guess he thought it was worthless cause of the broken forks + untrued wheels
WOW! I didn't know he only wanted $30 for it. That's awesome man!