Wheels

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

AlW

Wheels

Post by AlW »

I'm in the market for new wheels, so looking for some advice.

These aren't something that are going to win me any races, so I'm looking for something that provides a balance between weight and durability.

Currently looking at Shimano Ultegra (1652g) or Easton EA90 SL (1532g).
I'm not a weight weenie, so the difference is not significant (to me). Reviews for Easton are not entirely positive, with reports of rim and spoke issues, so leaning toward the Shimanos.

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks
Al
Alan

Re: Wheels

Post by Alan »

Al, this morning's ride proved you're already fast enough--you don't need faster wheels. But if you insist...
Last year when I was looking for faster wheels I settled on a pair of Dura ace 7850s
http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/Shima ... heels.html

I got my e-bay broker (Ramsey) to find me a new pair off e-bay for about $700, a steal as they'd be twice that here.
After I started riding with them some other riders were praising my fitness, saying how hard I must be training. My response? Nah, just the new wheels.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

(oops, just re-read and saw you were asking for experience with either of those wheels. Sorry for the spew :oops: )
I'm not really the guy to ask about new gear, but I have heard that shimano still has the patent on the bearing design for their rear hubs, which puts the right bearing out by the dropout, and prevents axle flex, which wrecks bearings.

As an interesting aside, shimano even experimented with an inboard bearing on 7800 hubs and wheels, which have failed at a greater rate, and the design has gone back to the outboard bearing. I saw a pair, with wrecked bearings, for $100-200 on vancouver craigslist. All my family's wheels (10-12 pair?) are shimano, all with outboard bearings. I have replaced the odd cone; Fairfield seems to stock most models of shimano.

Apparently there is a mm or two less dish required on shimano than on campgnolo, if you're concerned about that kind of thing.

Anecdotally, it seems I've heard of problems with bearings in other brands wheels, more than I expected for the prices. I'm guessing it's because of this bearing placement patent.

Finally, shimano seems to have good warrenty on rim cracking; Paul got a new pair for rim cracks.

Which raises the issue of rim cracking in non-eyeletted rims, if durability is a concern. You could go with shimano hubs (other than 7800) on 32 spokes and open pro rims (or the tubular equivalent) with sockets/double eyelets like the paris-roubaix riders. But there's not much glam in that.;)

Also try roadbikereview.com for consumer reviews.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
wonger

Post by wonger »

I have the easton EA 90's on my summer bike which I actually rode today. I won two sprints so that's got to count for something.

There was a creaking issue - not sure it was the wheel actually - and OBB ended up sending the hub back to easton and getting a new one at n/c to me. That has been the only issue. I've had one flat and no truing problems. They seem pretty durable for the weight to me. I'd also look at the Zipp 101's.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I have the same wheels and I'm very happy with them. Katie has an older pair of the Ultegras that have also been great. I don't think you can beat the Ultegra's bang for buck. But Dura Ace have the bling factor.

Last time I was in Cycles West, he had the Dura Ace 7850s for $799 or $899, something like that. Slightly more than buying them online, but none of the hassle. I've also found having a bike shop less than a block away from my house in dangerous, especially since he's blowing out his road stuff and moving more towards mountain bikes.

Every time I got in, he's got another 'deal' for me.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I got these suckers direct after reading their praises on roadbikereview.com: http://www.rolwheels.com/rol_dhuez_wheels.php

1478g, $650 and pretty sick overall. They "rol" forever and really do seem as good as they were rumoured to be. I've even been able to keep up with some of the A+ riders on some Tues/Fri rides this winter as a result of riding these on a fendered up Specialized Tarmac instead of a beater winter bike. I've been planning out what I'm going to do for a summer race machine this year, but realistically I'm good to go with what I have now, minus fenders.

They say 175 lbs max rider weight. There's a Race SL model for $625, 1550g, which recommend 210 lb max. I've been whacking potholes with the d'Huezzes and no ill effects yet. New scale says I'm apparently down to 145 lbs now (about 162 when I joined Tripleshot) and I don't tend to break stuff except cables, so beefier, more powerful athletes might go with the SL's instead.
AlW

Post by AlW »

Lister Farrar wrote:(oops, just re-read and saw you were asking for experience with either of those wheels. Sorry for the spew :oops: )
I'll take any advice that is offerred.
Alan wrote: Last year when I was looking for faster wheels I settled on a pair of Dura ace 7850s
http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/Shima ... heels.html
I looked as those as well, but would consider the SL vs the CL mainly due to my preference for metal vs carbon.

The Ultegra wheels are similar to the 7850 SL, but use aluminum rims (vs scandium) and are slightly heavier (~140g). However, they're 1/2 the price, so definitely get the nod in the bang-for-the-buck department.
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

Hey Al,

I found these today over lunch time browsing

http://www.williamscycling.com/sys19/sys19.html

http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php? ... &Itemid=10

But the Shimano RS80 at $441 delivered to your door plus taxes are a hard deal to beat!

Average weight - 1521g per pair but the spoke count is scary low in these.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Al--love my shimano's. I have the original Dura-Ace road tubeless (although I ride with a tube), and pair of carbon tubular race wheels. I completely agree with Lister about the quality of hub design and construction. I also had a pair of wheels built around a pair of Ultegra hubs. A bit strange that there is almost no noise from the pawls but apparently that is characteristic of these hubs.
Tutto il rosa della vita
AlW

Post by AlW »

I've added the Shimano RS80 to my list of possible candidates. As far as I can tell, they're the Dura Ace 7850 CL rim with the Ultegra hub.

I'm also looking at the Neuvation R28XL Series. Based on the reviews, they seem like a good deal, but would interested in any first hand experience.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Hi Al,

Another wheelset not to ignore is the Hed Bastogne. These are light (sub 1500g) and bombproof. Street price is around $650, but they have New old stock of older style Bastognes at Cambria Bike (eBay or web store), for about $470 pair @ 1477g.

I used my Hed Bastognes (from Cambria eBay store) 18h/24h wheelset for cylocross racing all last year. No problems. Kevin F. is currently borrowing them on his new Cervelo, so check them out next time Kevin foolishly rides his new steed in winter weather :-)

Another wheelset to look at is Kinlin XR-270 Niobium alloy rim-based wheelset from Zen Cyclery (Google). These are fantastic, affordable durable, and light rims. In fact, many of the brands out there use Kinlin rims through white-label OEM contracts, similar to what we see DT Swiss do with their 240s hub sets.

I'm currently building a wheel set for my wife's bike with Kinlin XR-270s, 292g Taiwanese 'Alchemy' knock-off hubs and DT Revolution spokes. Weight is forecast to be about 1410gr, 20h/24h setup with radial, cross-2 rear. Cost: $340 in parts. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Or, go high-zoot and buy my Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 Carbon clinchers, so I can buy a climbing wheelset, which I've narrowed down to either XXX-Lites or Reynolds MV32 UL clinchers. Unnecessary, but isn't' that the point? :wink:
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

AlW wrote:I'm also looking at the Neuvation R28XL Series. Based on the reviews, they seem like a good deal, but would interested in any first hand experience.
I got a set of Neuvations a few years ago. Not sure where they are now. Josh might have them. Shawn might be riding them! They were good, but the hub was getting pretty fried this summer, so I bought the Rol set. The hub on the Rol d'Huezzes seems the best I've ridden, better than the Neuvations were and better than Fulcrum Racing 5's. The $400 range Rol Volants have the same hubset so I'd be tempted to go with them. I'm thinking of getting a set of Volant R/T's (24/28 spokes) as 'cross wheels.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

AlW wrote:I'm also looking at the Neuvation R28XL Series. Based on the reviews, they seem like a good deal, but would interested in any first hand experience.
Gavin has/had a pair, and seemed to be replacing spokes more than once. But that was also in his Moose vs RasMOOSEn days. IIRC, he had good response from them on the new spokes.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

I have a set of Neuvation M28 SLs. Best upgrade I have bought for my bike. Haven't had to true them since I purchased them over a year ago although I did have to spend a whole $6 to replace the cartridge bearings in the rear wheel. When I spin them on my workstand, they just go on forever. Absolutely no bling factor, but for a pair of solid, relatively light wheels (1500 - 1600 g/set) the price can't be beat.
AlW

Post by AlW »

sylvan wrote:The hub on the Rol d'Huezzes seems the best I've ridden, better than the Neuvations were and better than Fulcrum Racing 5's. The $400 range Rol Volants have the same hubset so I'd be tempted to go with them.
4827north wrote:Another wheelset not to ignore is the Hed Bastogne. These are light (sub 1500g) and bombproof. Street price is around $650, but they have New old stock of older style Bastognes at Cambria Bike (eBay or web store), for about $470 pair @ 1477g.
The weight limit becomes a problem for me on both the d'Huezs' and Bastognes, so have to rule those out.

The Volants look good though. Good price point and the reviews are great (currently on the "Best of" list on roadbikereview).
4827north

Post by 4827north »

AlW wrote:
sylvan wrote:
The Volants look good though. Good price point and the reviews are great (currently on the "Best of" list on roadbikereview).
The Rol lineup all look good. The Rol Race SL uses Kinlin's popular alloy/niobium rim, the popular XR-300 model. This is a 30mm deep rim, very strong, very well built and only 465g per hoop. It provides a bit of 'aero' and the spokes and hubs are upgraded over the Volants. The weight limit is fine at 210lbs. The spokes and nipples are top-drawer Sapim CX-Rays and DT Prolock respectively. These wheels will be strong and durable and good for racing and training at 1550g per pair. A little bit more money over the Volants, but a much higher quality wheel IMO.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Ian

Post by Ian »

I have the Ultegra 6700s. When I bought them, the guys at Russ Hays told me it was the best bang-for-the-buck wheel, hands down. I haven't tried many wheels, but I'm pretty happy with them thus far.

One complaint. The 6700s are tubeless-compatible, which makes getting the tires on and off a real PITA sometimes. The 6600s don't have this feature.

I will admit to droolling over the D'Huez's before I bought these ones.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Video review of the ROL Race SL. Two things stand out: Sapim spokes, Kinlin Niobium 30mm rim. Great value.

http://www.rolwheels.com/customer_press_reviews.php
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

4827north wrote:Video review of the ROL Race SL. Two things stand out: Sapim spokes, Kinlin Niobium 30mm rim. Great value.
I almost went for the Race SL for extra durability even though ROL advised me to get the d'Huezzes due to weight. I think they have the Kinlin 27mm rim.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Another option.. roughly the same price as the ROL race SL, but custom with arguably sweeter hubs - White Industries smooth hubs. Same CX-Ray spokes, Kinlin 27mm rims, and purportedly bomproof, at $655. LIghtweight too.

http://www.zencyclery.com/products/cust ... /katmandu/
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com