2010-11-27 - Saturday Stats - Ice, Debacle

Moderator: mfarnham

sylvan

2010-11-27 - Saturday Stats - Ice, Debacle

Post by sylvan »

http://connect.garmin.com/player/58093407

So, the ride, again, today, was very terrible, this time because of appalling icy conditions. Bruce crashed on Blenkinsop on his way to the ride, he's fine, no problem, then almost immediately after leaving Mattick's, Greg crashed in an enormous heap on ice and oil, he's fine, no problem, and at that point we were all whimpering little lambs and just couldn't take any more of this. We decided that being smart was better than being completely daft, so with tails between our legs, we retraced our path back to town. I saw that it was very icy up Lochside between Mattick's and Royal Oak, and managed to convince Dylan that we should go that way. Don't ask. We survived and regrouped to do a Friday route. There were some efforts involved, and then we decided to do one lap of Beacon Hill, and then immediately we all got sideways on more ice and almost crashed so we completely shut it down and coasted to Discovery Coffee to lick our wounds. It was a great ride and a character-building day. 10 riders out or maybe 11 total. A few more weeks of this and we'll all be in awesome shape. Next week should be less icy.
wonger

Re: 2010-11-27 - Saturday Stats - Ice, Debacle

Post by wonger »

Didn't anyone else get invited to OBB's customer appreciation day? Free rain coats and toques for all, sandwiches and coffee to start, coffee and brownies in Sidney. Ice is less of an issue when you leave at 9:00.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I'm kinda happy about over sleeping this morning, if it was as icy as you're saying.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

jeremy wrote:I'm kinda happy about over sleeping this morning, if it was as icy as you're saying.
We built character. They ate brownies. There will be a reckoning come spring. :twisted:
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

wonger wrote:Free rain coats and toques for all, sandwiches and coffee to start, coffee and brownies in Sidney...
Yeah yeah. Rum and cokes and I'd have been in.
John D

Post by John D »

Yikes! Looks like my bent front derailleur might have been a good thing. After bailing out on Beach just before the golf club, I managed to limp back downtown and had a leisurely coffee and a muffin before heading home again. No ice, no spills....

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
jj12

Post by jj12 »

wheres discovery coffee?....is that on tyee...?
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

jj12 wrote:wheres discovery coffee?....is that on tyee...?
Discovery Coffee is in Oak Bay, a couple of doors down from Oak Bay Bikes. But that's the second Discovery Coffee location. That's not where we went. We went to the original Discovery Coffee, which is on Discovery St. at Douglas. One of the best legit espresso joints in town. Where did you end up? We got strung out there after King George and didn't really re-group like we could/should have after almost wiping out in Beacon Hill. We weren't sure if you and Hugh were still out there.
jj12

Post by jj12 »

I was, went around beacon once, almost bailed lol then checked out moka house fishermans wharf then went to starbucks in cook street but couldn't find you guys.....i just grabbed a coffee at fantastico...
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Sorry about that John. We should have waited around beacon for you guys, our bad. We got distracted by our near 5 man wipeout on the approach to the petting zoo. I thought you guys knew where we were going for coffee.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.