Oak Bay High school club

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Oak Bay High school club

Post by Lister Farrar »

FYI, TS'rs Eric Simonson and I are coaching a cycling club at Oak Bay. Last year we started in April, but this year, we're getting the jump on the season; the first meeting was last week, with 18 kids, and we have had the first two rides. About 3/5 roade riders, 2/5 mtbr's.

Today was a very fun ride at Hartland with a surprisingly compatible group: two dirt jumper guys, one female French exchange student (scuba, running, and rock climbing being her prep), a track and soccer athlete, Eric and I, and two dads. We rode blue trails until it became obvious Margot was more than capable (must be in the water in France) , then did a big walk-up climb and rode the newTorpedo Run, a swoopy, bermed, tabletop-jump-strewn blast of adrenaline.

This coming week is:
  • a cross race at Margaret Jenkins 4:30-ish, before the Underground Cross adult race
    a longish road ride Friday's Pro-D day at 9:00 am, up the peninsula to a a suitable bakery, snacks, then home. (dirt jumpers too- trying to borrow bikes)
    And Sunday is shaping up to be a dirt jump session at North Saanich dirt jump park
Normal rides are road Fridays at 2:40, off-road, Sundays at 1:00 (meet at the school for rides)

Please let friends with students at Oak Bay know if they missed the club announcements. All they have to do is see Eric at Oak Bay for a registration form.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Re: Oak Bay High school club

Post by Lister Farrar »

First high school club road ride today, 9:00 am because of the pro d day. 7 riders, 4 girls, 3 boys. Grades 10 and 11. Plus Eric and I. Two were brand new to road bikes, Margo from France on Kim G's old bike, and Andrew the dirt jumper ("I'm not used to sitting down this much") on the Miyata Matteo used.

Nicholas has been riding a fixie all summer, just got a beautiful handmade steel frame with ultegra 9 from his dad, Richard the former owner of Fairfield. His fixie is being re-built into a geared winter bike; nice to have a bike shop owner for a dad eh? And he already wants to race.

Emma W is back with her 1/2 marathon fitness, riding well, and was looking out for Margot too.

Duncan from last year is back, but a year stronger and fitter, despite recovering from dental surgery. And veteran TS'rs Brenna and Alex were great, riding to suit the others, filling gaps, doing longer pulls and generally being super helpful. Brenna said it was an interesting change from grimly holding onto wheels; you get to see the other side of making a group work as the stronger rider.

We rode out to Mitchell's Farm for a snack and rest, then back. Stayed all together, and the new riders seemed to get the hang of the two-up paceline. On the way back we had a little chase game from the top of Ash to Willows beach park. Brenna, Margot, Andrew and I were given a one minute headstart and pacelined back as fast as we could. But the hours and miles were adding up for the first timers. Brenna and I pulled and the others hung on as long as they could. Cadboro was tough though, and we were caught just before by Alex, Eric, Nicholas and Duncan.

But then the other team dropped Alex, kept going (the rule was all four had to finish together) , so they were disqualified and we won! :)

Nicholas and Duncan were thinking about Sunday at 7:30 , so those riding then, keep an eye out for them. (Nicholas, about 6'4", green road bike with no decals, Duncan, 5'8"ish, red specialized) They're pretty good in a group, but will need the odd tip. Alex and Andrew are either watching or riding the Super-downhill at the dump Sunday, or going to north saanich dirt jump park.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

Did you guys ride today? howd it go?
Adam de Vos
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Yes, thanks for asking Adam. Smaller group today. Brenna and Emma had swimming commitments (Good luck this w/e in your meet both of you.) Actually Emma had a long-booked haircut which she was embarrased to admit ("That sounds so girly!"), but she is swimming, and did make it to the meeting point to let us know. Plus we left before Mr Simonson made it down. D'oh! And Alex had seen him, but forgot to mention it until 60 minutes into the ride. Sorry Eric! And I think we cooked Andrew on the three hour ride last Friday, even though his mother said he enjoyed it. We'll see if he comes back. :oops: Several others are still busy with soccer and cross country, so say they will come when those sports finish shortly.

So it was Alex, Margot and Duncan. Alex was on her way to soccer practice, so needed an easy day. We mainly rode in two's at talking pace, except for a little jam through the whoop-de-do's of Queenswood to practice following a wheel through speed and terrain changes.

Margot the french exchange student is getting better at that, but doesn't like standing up yet, so she's a bit of a diesel/Mike Lawless-type in terrain like that, vs the turbos of the others/Pete Lawless-types.

Single file through Ash/Mt Doug with Duncan getting a workout on the front, Margot working on holding the wheel, me and Alex having an easier day. Two-up back along Lochside, Duncan and Alex arguing about the school dance the night before (Duncan was proud of his 31 different dance partners- (he had a bet with a friend), Alex annoyed by the monotonous techno beats in every song. :) :) ), until we switched up the pairs to avoid Alex putting Duncan in the ditch. (Literary license taken here.) (Note to riders, if you start posting here, you can correct my, er, elaborations! ;)

We dropped Margot off near her place in James Bay, then Alex at Ross Bay to get back to soccer, then Duncan and I rode arond the waterfront getting in the way of a lone, fit looking Russ Hayes kitted rider who came past us, then we caught, then came past, then caught again. Finally Duncan put the hammer down (or she turned off?) and we were clear. Duncan made me a bit uncomfortable on the hills, and I let the full glory of 80's steel shine on the downhills and flats.

Gorgeous day too. Oak Bay High has a direct line to the weather god, and we have had only beach weather. Except when it rains.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

Weather forecast looks promising for friday, are you still meeting outside the east foyer? I think i will come out.
Adam de Vos
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

That would be great Adam. 2:45, east gym foyer. See you there.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
EricS

Post by EricS »

Great news Adam, I mean BoyZ-2-Men D-Vos

Lister: I think the ride should end at Spinnackers for some coffee-beer. Adam and the others could wait outside and guard our bikes.
Eric Simonson