'Crosstober Fest - Oct. 17, 2010 - Providence Farm

Moderator: mfarnham

AdamD

'Crosstober Fest - Oct. 17, 2010 - Providence Farm

Post by AdamD »

Photos now report later. Let me know if you cant see them.
Adam de Vos
Roland

Re: 'Crosstober Fest - Oct. 17, 2010 - Providence Farm

Post by Roland »

Adam, Nice Helmet.

My stats: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53435153

Race report: Meh
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

It was very nice, thanks again.
ps you must have an enormous head to fit that thing
Adam de Vos
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

really? the best "report" we get is that Roland has a giant cranium? That his head looks like an orange on a toothpick?
Roland

Post by Roland »

It's not the size of my head, it's the shape. Long and narrow. If I get a helmet that fits properly length wise, it's far to wide.

Did you look at my garmin data? It looks like a kid scribbled on a map with a red crayon. I found the course to be a bit of a parade, hard to pass unless you had significantly more power to sprint by on the very short straights or were willing to ride like a jerk and dive inside corners.

I was having a decent race until about half way when I crashed and knocked my bars sideways. I managed to straighten them, but I sat up after that and rode it in at 75% effort. Meh.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
BearPope Recruit

Post by BearPope Recruit »

Roland's "meh" in expert = FUN for the other categories! And the size of his cranium is also dependent on when his latest haircut was. Maybe Roland you should just grow your hair out on the sides so your helmet fits properly?

Super twisty fast course with very little climbing compared to what I've seen at Providence Farm in the last two years (they left out the hill on the back part of the property and made up for it in distance by adding "pansies" in the lower field). This course had an attacking hay bale, twists through the forests filled with trees & pumpkins, to a short (although one of the longest in the course!) straight section to climb up and come back down and a hard left to the top field. Twists & turns in the grass and past the bratwurst tent, up the stairs, around the roundabout, to the lower field of pansies in blue ribbon, including a set of barriers, to shoot you out onto the road for another very short section before diving back into the field, 2 more turns and into the woods with a log to get over, and then more twists & turns... you get the idea - FUN! No time to think about your heart pounding as you are too focused on picking your line for the next obstacle!

I had a good start, and was where I wanted to be - mid pack, not Roland's holeshot strategy. I could hear Glenowyn catching up to me on the climb, where she's strong, and once she went by, I wanted to stick to her wheel. It was going well until we came to the log at the bottom of the course, and I thought her chain had just fallen off but turns out a critical bolt for a pulley wheel cage had fallen out and was not fixable... this course was also eating up the experts with Drew Mackenzie double flatting on lap 1 (ack!) and Stormin' Normon having to come from behind on a loaner bike since 3 out of 5 screws didn't hold his front chain ring on for very long. Bike maintenance time!

There was BEER & PIE for prizes! Glenowyn won pie and the Anderberg duo figured they coudn't consume everything they won so donated a pie to Gavin. That will earn him brownie points to attend more races!

Another great turn out! Again, baby blue argyle in every category (except for beginner women)! Lots of fans to cheer everyone on!

Great job done by Tara, Mike, Sarah & Everti/Experience Cycling Club crew!

Next up is the double header in Victoria! Watch out for Wonger to make his 2010 COTR debut! Hopefully there will be some thigh deep mud for him to wade through or he may be disappointed. Rumour of a new course feature too!

One addition: I forgot to mention that Roland and Katie did the results for the race, and they deserve a hugh THANKS for their efforts on that! Not easy to figure out!

All for the love of 'cross! jen
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Did someone just say "bratwurst"? :P I didn't realize that was part of the cyclo cross culture. I'm really looking forward to Wednesday.
Katie

Post by Katie »

Roland wrote:... or were willing to ride like a jerk and dive inside corners.
Maybe this is where you are going wrong - frantically diving inside corners to pass seems to be standard 'cross strategy.

I had a good race. I finished 11th of 16 starters, and came closer than I ever have come to not being lapped. :)

The highlight of my race was chasing the leaders of the Intermediate race through the pansy corners, and actually being able to stay with them - until I became mesmerized by the sea of zigzaging blue tape, got disoriented and had to grab my brakes hard to avoid completely missing the corner!

The lowlight of my race was being spat on as a rider passed me. Full on direct hit. So gross. I don't get it. He just passed me - did he not see me??

It was a great course - not much climbing, lots of corners. Easy to ride, hard to ride fast, nowhere to recover. Lots of fun!
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

My start was terrible. Couldn't get my feet in and dropped to about 23rd meaning i basically had to stand infront of the hale bails and wait in line to get over them.

The middle was awesome. I was constantly picking people off and doing great. I find the easiest way to pass is to ride behind two people and wait for them to crash into each other, then just ride around them. :mrgreen:

The end was awful. Made up one place when someone crashed on the 5th to last corner but then i myself crashed on the 3rd to last corner. Although the guy didn't manage to get back past me then he did however about 10 seconds later when i *almost* crashed/face planted into the stairs.

The low speed twisty corners really are not my thing but the forrest sections were super fun. I was especially proud of myself for getting over the log every lap with out a dismount since i have zero mtb experience. The fun never stops its already almost Wednesday!
-Adam
Adam de Vos