Cross on the Rock-(Kona Kup) Bowen Park-Oct. 11

Moderator: mfarnham

AdamD

Cross on the Rock-(Kona Kup) Bowen Park-Oct. 11

Post by AdamD »

Super difficult course today consisting of a barely possible to ride gravel climb with two switch backs, some menacing tree roots, tight grassy corners, off camber section, two sand sections, another couple small gravel climbs and two super steep super fast and bumpy decents.

The double switchback climb was the first thing after a long road section so it was super important to get a good start so you did get stuck behind 30 people. Even though i was one of the last call ups i still got to a pretty good spot by the end of the road section.

I was feeling pretty strong and going well passing a few people here and there and getting passed but overall just holding my place. then on the third maybe forth lap I decided to kick my back brake while remounting while going through the finish line area. This caused my break pad to get stuck under the rim and i had to spend 3-4 or so minutes fixing it. Then on the very next lap I decided I wanted to do the exact same thing in the exact same place. This time i was experienced so it only took me 2-3 minutes to fix. That totally took me out of the racing mentality and I ended up cruising the last two laps. Add three or so bails into the mix and overall not a great race but still a ton of fun!
Adam de Vos
Roland

Re: Cross on the Rock-(Kona Kup) Bowen Park-Oct. 11

Post by Roland »

Biggest cross race on the island ever - 133 racers! Beating the last races previous record of 105. Cross is exploding!

8 racers out representing Tripleshot, another record! Tripleshot was represented in every category expect beginner women. (Where are our beginner women?)

Eric S & Simon P raced Beginner Men, Eric finishing on the podium and earning himself an upgrade to Intermediate. Gavin & Adam dV raced intermediate, Dylan & Brad raced masters, Jen with the women and I raced with the experts. Katie (who rides for OBB :roll:) also raced with the women, but withdrew after 2 laps due to illness. Her first DNF in 19 races. :cry:

Since Katie & I are the new results crew for Cyclocross, we didn't get to see much of the racing action in the other races, instead we were infront of the laptop. (Where is Sylvan when you need him)

30 people in the expert field. Huge, and the big guns showed up - Craig Richey, Tyler Trace, Rob Britton, Daniel Sessford, Nic Hamelton, Jamie Sparling -- and there were all starting behind me, since they missed the first race.

Race started with a 800m slightly uphill road sprint. I started second row, and managed to quickly move into the top 5, but that didn't last long as the Cat 1/2 guys moved through the pack quickly and passed me like I was standing still. Entering the switch back climb, I left myself space, and actually managed to ride it as everybody else was dismounting and running. I few pushes from those behind ensured I didn't fall.

I had a good race, and some battles with those around me. I got lapped on lap 5 of 9. Only 9 racers finished on the lead lap, with some going down 2 laps. A silly fall on the last lap knocked my front wheel out of true, so a few seconds to fix the brakes cost me one position, finishing 18th.

Great race, awesome turnout. See you all next Sunday for the Providence Farm Race.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"