Weight training for cyclists

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

steve

Weight training for cyclists

Post by steve »

A couple of people asked me about the specifics of the weight training program that showed fairly significant improvements in power over 1 and 4km distances after performing the routine twice a week for 4 weeks. Here is the program:

The explosive sessions consisted of high-rep, low-resistance, quick-as-possible movements, with 30 reps per set for each exercise. Resistance was set so that the athletes could keep up their speed of movement during the first 20 reps of the 30-rep sets, with some power lost over the last 10 reps. If the athletes could finish an exercise with a constant rate of movement, the resistance was increased. Each explosive workout proceeded as follows:

(1) 10-minute warm-up on bike at 75 percent of heart-rate max

(2) Squats: 2 sets of 30 reps, with short recovery between sets

(3) Leg Presses: 2 sets of 30 reps, with short recovery

(4) Leg Pulls: 2 sets of 30 reps

(5) One-Leg Step-Ups: 2 sets of 30 reps

(6) 10 minutes of cycling at 75 percent of heart-rate max

After step 6 was completed, steps 2-6 were performed one more time.

There was also a study looking at using single leg jump squats and interval work on the stationary bike that demonstrated significant improvements with club riders. I think Peter may have conducted this experiment on himself while getting ready for Sardinia. My guess is that any kind of leg workout combining low load, high reps performed quickly would benefit our cycling performance, particularly the ability to produce higher levels of power for short periods of time. The endurance component probably wouldn't be changed. Plyometrics would also fall into this category:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6KJintn70

Not much is mentioned about stability training but it would likely help prevent injuries and help with increasing the ability to transfer load from the upper body. Some increase in stability could be gained by simply doing your step-ups, jump squats on an unstable surface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbNIkPuaCM

I'd also advocate some upper body work for a few reasons; bone density, transference of upper body to bike power and to prevent cyclist girly arm syndrome which I think I might have.

My knowledge in this area is relatively limited.... Peter, Lister anybody else got any suggestions?

Steve
RyanC

Re: Weight training for cyclists

Post by RyanC »

Thanks for posting this, Steve,

One caveat that I think bears mentioning is that any high speed resistance training absolutely must be performed with impeccable form. If you're new to resistance training, you need to nut up and ask someone for help. This is particularly true of any exercise that puts load on your spine. Having injured myself fairly significantly doing cleans about 15 years ago and recently doing lunges, I can speak to the downside from personal experience. In short, if you're not sure, ask someone knowledgeable. Grit and determination are worth nothing if it results in training time lost due to injury.

Peter, do you want to speak to this?

Ryan
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

The National team cyclists I knew best, Steve Bauer (pursuit and road), Karen Strong (pursuit and road) and Gord Singleton (track sprinter), (all world champ medallists) and their coaches, were all devotees of heavier weights in the off-season.

I haven't thought about weights in a while, but off the top of my head, I recall the theory being that heavier weights, eg 8-15 RM (max # of reps at that weight) was considered the best compromise for strength (ie force produced in a single contraction), and that the higher the reps, the more sense it made to do the exercise in the actual sport, for the specificity of movement, speed and range of motion.

Also, in low resistance training (higher reps, lower weights) it is harder to recruit all the motor units (sub-groups of muscle fibres; we usually use some at a time), which is one of the stimulae for a training adaptation. It also becomes more important in high rep exercise, that the coordination be as close as possible to the sport.

So, the theory would suggest it would be better to do 30 reps pedalling in a sprint (on the bike), than 30 leg presses or squats. And because it's difficult to go to failure in 10-15 reps pedalling, heavier weights with squats or lunges are used, and then the strength gains transferred to cycling through sprint training. Heavy weights also are more measureable (eg tracking weights and reps) , so they are motivating for training.

Finally, once you're exercising hard from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, you're into the anaerobic training zone, which, if I recall correctly, is not really suggested for aerobic power training sports in the off-season. It's one of the systems that trains relatively quickly, but needs a base of fitness to accomplish well, and is mentally difficult, so it's suggested for closer to the goal event. Strength training and aerobic base both take longer, but can be maintained later in season with relatively lower loads, with anaerobic power training closer to the peak events. For example, team pursuit riders often do heavy weights in the winter, ride stage races in the spring, then switch to track training and racing closer to the goal event.

The one place higher rep/lower resistence training was always recommended was at the beginning of a weight training program, while the exercises are learned and muscles adapt to resistance training. There's no question that there's a training effect of higher rep exercises, and human factors like the novelty of a different kind of training, and venue, might bring gains. But the theory I was taught suggests it's not the ideal.

I hasten to say these Gran fondo fogged recollections are about training theory and nothing to do with rehab or injury management. And heavy squats, and plyometrics are risky, as Steve and Ryan said.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Lets hit the gym boys!! Pump me up TSC!! I agree with these postings too and suggest caution also if you havn' t done weights or other resistance lately.. I have been THINKING about doing some weights this winter and or spin class or yoga. Any one recommend a spin class or a yoga class for stiff M.A.M. I.L.'s ???
The Princess

Post by The Princess »

You could come to one of my spin classes. I teach Thursday mornings at 6:15 a.m. at the YMCA downtown. But my classes are not for sissies. Josh almost barfed in one of my classes once, right Josh? Of course that was back in the days when he was a rock and roll god and burning the candle at both ends. Hardly anyone ever barfs, or even cries in my classes any more.