Mt Doug

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

Mt Doug

Post by JohnT »

Nine racers in the rain. There were shallow rivers flowing down the road and dog walkers who thought we were crazy. Three from Triple Shot: Stephan, Adam de Vos, and I. Unofficially Stephan won B with a 6:09. How does this compare to past results? Dylan beat it by about 10 seconds two years ago, but it was within a second or two of the winning time in 2009 - great job! I managed 6:37, slower than in 2008 and 2009, but still good enough for top 5 in B group (they didn't record category at sign-in, so I'm not sure exactly what times belonged in A or B). Adam took his time - the luxury of being in well ahead overall. Duane asked him if he really started a minute behind me - i.e., was the + 8 min time correct. Adam didn't tell him that he stopped to chat with some girls half way up. Today, 8 min was worth a few points.

Reminder: Next week is Willis Point and even if you don't like hill climbs, come on out because there's a season ending VCL party afterward. The venue is nice and it will be fun rain or shine.

JT
Ian

Re: Mt Doug

Post by Ian »

JohnT wrote:Adam didn't tell him that he stopped to chat with some girls half way up.
Picking up while wearing baby blue and argyle lycra?! Is there anything this kid CAN'T do?? :lol:

Wish I could have been there, but I got called into work last minute :evil: I'm going to make sure I'm at Willis Point though.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Have a look at the photos! "Adam de Vos - Emerging from the gloom" . Amazing. And there's Stephane pulling a Roland R. growl. Looking at the overall points I have just realized that Adam was within reach (until today). Really Adam, I didn't come back from Whistler to try and catch you. The goal was to get Triple Shot 1-2 and we're almost there.

JT
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

So after 3 months or so of Tripleshotting, I get to do my first ever race report! I did Mt. Doug a few times last week and I set myself 2 goals: do the climb in under 6:30 and place in the top half of the field. I am happy to say that I achieved both goals. 6:08 and 5th out of 10. I got there eager-beaver early and waited 35 minutes in the pouring rain but was glad to see some other baby-blue riders show up before the start. Kudos to John for coming out after doing the Gran Fondo and fist-bump to Adam for showing the ladies what a real man wears on the weekend.

After reading John's latest post, there is one thing that is weighing on my mind. I hope that I didn't jeopardize a TS 1-2 finish at the top of the VCL "B" standings. I didn't look at the standings beforehand and we didn't discuss it before the race. Adam and John T. are our "GC" guys at the top of the standings and I am now afraid that I did the wrong thing by being gung-ho in this race and essentially taking 2 points away from John T. in what is a close contest for 2nd in the standings. Can some more experienced Tripleshotters weigh in here? Did I make a mistake? :|
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

no way is that a mistake. you did TS proud

6:08 is a really great time for doug, nice work.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Stephane,

I hope we never get so serious that someone feels they shouldn't do their best. And, truth be told, I am racing against ghosts. The guys (only one left now) between Adam and I switched to A - they won't be scoring any more points in B this season. It's never good to count papers before they are published, but I should be able to get three more points next week, and even if I don't, it's no big deal.

Well done today.

John