anyone familiar with online bike shopping?

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

AdamD

anyone familiar with online bike shopping?

Post by AdamD »

Has anyone used either http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ or http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/?
I found some good looking 'cross bikes on those sites and im wondering if there would be a huge amount of extra costs for shipping tariffs etc.?
Adam de Vos
Barry McKee

Re: anyone familiar with online bike shopping?

Post by Barry McKee »

Hi Adam: There are a few things you should consider re: importing. Don't forget to factor in the Customs duty and HST that you will pay on non North American made items. This can add up to around 18%. For North American made items you will have to pay only the HST. Sometimes there is also fees added by shippers for cross border "customs" handling. Best look at all the charges before you decide if something is a good deal. Good luck with your decision.

Barry
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

I built up my Soma double cross (frame and fork bought locally at OBB) using chain reactions online retailer. shipping was free and the where no extra charges. Overall it was quick and cost effective. It was fun to spec out a bike a la cart with parts often at a significant savings. That said i totally think supporting our local shops is super important. I try to spread the wealth in 3-4 of the locals including the trusty MEC :D
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

I also spread my bike business around between Fairfield,Oakbay,Fort st. and MEC...Also , for used parts and a unique shopping experience I go to Bicycleitis on bay st. and Recyclistas by the switch bridge.[ I have 2 mustang stingrays,2 cruisers and a one speed Rasta bike I'm customizing] A few other M.A.M.I.L.'s have recommended Chain Reaction out of England. Mark Ford and I are going to place an order soon. I have been told that if over $250, no shipping charge and usually no customs or HST!!?? Anyone else dealt with them? cheers Paul C. p.s. MAMILS is Middle-Aged-Men-In-Lycra
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

USPS can get stuff across the border without large customs brokerage fees, unlike the couriers like UPS. I once got chraged -$80 on a pair of wheels; wiped out any savings. I use USPS for old used stuff on ebay to keep my old bikes going.

But a whole bike is difficult to get into the USPS maximum size box. Check here: http://ircalc.usps.gov/. I had a craigslist bike from Seattle sent USPS satisfactorily, but they barely made the minimum and that was a child's 24" wheel cross bike. Also depends on what the shipper wants to do; some don't use USPS. Ask. Ask about the bike coming in two boxes maybe? But that will increase the cost, both of packing and shipping.

BikesDirect.com (good cheap cross bikes) is free shipping to anywhere in the US, so theoretically you could have it sent to Port Angeles and go pick it up, but you're still subject to customs and hst.

All that said, I've found the arrival of MEC has kept prices in the local shops reasonable and then you get help selecting, switching stuff like stems, warranty etc. Even though I'm a DIY guy, I find I'm appreciating the expertise in the local shops more and more. I don't think there are many good shops with inexperienced staff anymore. If you get a blank look, move on. Geoff Wong posted Oak Bay clearance and demo bikes somewhere, maybe try that. Fairfield has saved me $1000's on weird stuff, even when special ordered, and especially on the expertise to fix things rather than replace things. They seem especially willing to special order things if they don't have what you want, and they do it pretty fast.

Finally, the local craigslist and used victoria bike sections are showing more cross bikes as people upgrade, switch, sell off older sponsors stuff before the season. Eric S recently got a great deal on Record cannondale locally.

I'm looking for a used 47 or 49 cm cross bike for Una and a 56cm for Liam and haven't seen a viable deal yet when shipping and customs is factored in.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
cashman

Post by cashman »

I have bought numerous items online yes I know we should support out local bike shops and I do however when you can get the same product for up to 30-40% cheaper its a no brainer. Having said that there are issues getting this gear to us, http://www.probikekit.com, out of the UK have great prices and usually free shipping to Canada.

This link also gives you further coupon discounts:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/probikekit.com

I have had frames sent to me as well as wheels the company I use which is fantastic is:

http://www.seawings.ca

I use this company for larger items they are awesome to deal with all you do is have to do is get the seller, a US seller, to ship the package to their Blaine, WA office. Sometimes the seller includes the shipping costs to sweeten the deal.

Ask the seller to attach an invoice, paypal receipt is fine, on the outside, Seawings will then bring the item across the border in bond, you get an e-mail or phone call (your choice) once the package arrives here at their warehouse.

Their warehouse is in at the Victoria airport, you go out there get the paperwork, they have prepared, walk into the terminal go to customs they will convert the US amount to Canadian based on the day the package arrives in Canada, you pay your HST :evil: (it used to be only GST), walk back to the Seawings warehouse provide to them the paperwork Customs gave you. Then you pay their shipping costs which is $17.00 for the first 5 pounds then .45 for the rest of the weight. Then you take your purchase home. For reference I had a frame shipped to me and the shipping costs from their warehouse in Blaine to Victoria was about $30.00.

I have a sweet road frame coming in the next week so I can update the cost when I get it.

YES a bit of leg work but once you get stung with those huge brokerage fees, as Lister alluded to, you will be happy to do the work.

I have never paid any more than the taxes owing on the product i.e. there are no customs fees just taxes. The only time you may get additional fees would be if the product is from a company Canada doesn't have the free trade agreement. Though anything you get from the States is a States product and as Canada has that free trade agreement you only pay the taxes.

If you need any more info give me a holler.

Colin
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"