Victoria to Nanaimo pre Nanaimo to Victoria

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

steve

Victoria to Nanaimo pre Nanaimo to Victoria

Post by steve »

With Nanaimo to Victoria just over a week away, who is interested in cycling up to Nanaimo? Last year we left from the switch bridge at 5:15, had 6 flats and coffee and made it to Nanaimo with about 20 minutes to spare. The flats meant that we had to go a little faster than expected but it was definitely a manageable pace. This year, I''m hoping we can make it a similar speed to our typical Sunday rides (~32 kmh) and as always it should be a no drop ride. If we are a little late we can always catch the peleton en route.

This is a great event and the ride up made it feel like you got a good workout in and then could enjoy just being sociable on the ride back home.

Steve
ronheal

Re: Victoria to Nanaimo pre Nanaimo to Victoria

Post by ronheal »

I am with IRC and hoping to ride up to Nanaimo. Do you mind if I join your group up? If that is ok, where is the "switch bridge" meeting point? Thanks.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Switch bridge is where the galloping goose crosses over douglas st, up by town and country. We usually meet at the benches just on the north side of the bridge.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'm into the up and back, Steve. Though if my legs feel like they did today, you might be waiting on top of the 'Hat for a while.

I'm happy to do the ride with others as I've been outed in the Summer 2010 issue of Cycle Therapy, No. 115, on p. 9, Pedro Lawless, Demystifying the Group Ride:
There are [TripleShot] riders that are ... barely capable of changing a tire.
So bring your tire lever thingies... and I'll give you a free banana when you fix my flat out of frustration. :roll:

Ron: the more the merrier. Switch bridge is where the Galloping Goose and the Lochside Trails meet, at the north end of the Highway 1 overpass.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

I think we should roll out at 5:00 from the Switch Bridge as last year with the number of flats we were seriously pressed for time by the end of the ride. It meant that at a couple of points some of us had to press on leaving people to fend for themselves (not a very TSC thing to do) as we are part of the N2V organization and need to be there to assist with registration etc.

So..... 5:00 for a brilliant sunrise over the 'Hat!
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

In for the round trip too! See you at 5am- ugh.

Cheers,
Chris
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

The previous posts on the V2N addition sold me - I am in for the round trip. Any suggestions on what food to bring?
bill

Post by bill »

I will be there.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

I will so miss crossing the intersection of Haultain and Foul Bay at 445 a.m. and then again at 4:45 p.m. over 220 km later. Enjoy it boys and girls.
Tutto il rosa della vita
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Due to the high likelihood of flats, I will be bringing some spare tubes, tire levers, my CO2 inflator and cartridges, all of which I am willing to share if needed. I don't have a good frame-fit pump, is anyone bringing one?
spearson

Post by spearson »

In!
Rita

Post by Rita »

Okidoke, I've finally decided that I'm in too! 8)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Yay, Rita!

Stéphane: there will undoubtedly be pumps among us.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I'm in too.
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

I'll be there.

I'm just wondering what food/drink to bring for the day. Obviously I'm on my own for the ride up, but are there muffins, bars, sports drinks, etc provided by the organizers for the return trip? Does the peloton stop at all for snack breaks, either on the way up or back down?
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

The plan is a quick (5’) stop in Ladysmith then a proper water & feed stop just south of Duncan for 30’. Next is a shortish (15’) stop at the Westshore OBB store (with water etc) where we pick up the 20k folks and head to Clover Point. So 2 minor stops and 1 major stop is what we are planning for.

We get decent food (including bananas - yay Roland!) as well as drinks (water & coke) and there will also be gatorade type powder to add to water.

Its going to be great :D fun to ride plus its a bit of "sticking it to cancer" which makes it extra special! 8)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Any appetite for those coming from Oak Bay / Fairfield, to meet at Pareto (usual Fort & Richmond meetup) at - ulp - 4:40?

Conservation will be the word of the day. I'm looking to suck wheels right from kilometer one.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hey Peter and Dave, I had booked a spot in the bus going up to Nanaimo in the morning, but I will be riding up instead. Just so you know.