Give Oak Bay Council feedback re the OBB crit

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Josh.E

Give Oak Bay Council feedback re the OBB crit

Post by Josh.E »

obcouncil@oakbay.ca

As some negative resident feedback about some of our early morning training sessions was specifically passed on to Oak Bay Council and Oak Bay Bikes, take a few minutes to write Oak Bay Council and let them know what a great event the crit was. Some positive feedback could go a long way in making sure they continue to allow us use of the venue.
Last edited by Josh.E on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
wonger

Re: Give Oak Bay Council feedback re the OBB crit

Post by wonger »

Thanks Josh - just sent mine in. There are now 90 members in Tripleshot. Even five letters will have a big impact on council so please take the time to send a short note. I'm happy to share mine if that will help.
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

I sent one in too. Thanks for posting the link Josh.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Here's my letter, feel free to plagiarize if it will help you drop them a note [originality doesn't count for much in the democratic process, a vote's a vote!]:
Dear Mayor and Council,

I write to comment on a fantastic community event that took place in Oak Bay this past Sunday, July 25. The Oak Bay Bicycles Cops for Cancer Criterium in Windsor Park marked a milestone in my family's relationships with our bicycles.

My three and five year-old girls were both able to participate in age-categorized races on a closed road course, adjacent to one of their favourite playgrounds at Windsor Park. Being permitted to ride on the road as part of a full racing program made a huge impression on these pre-schoolers. They both showed instant signs of increased self-confidence and the event enhanced their already significant enthusiasm for cycling. The words of encouragement and cheers from onlookers also gave them a sense of being part of a broad and supportive community.

The event also allowed me to enter my first criterium and it was an experience I will not soon forget. The Victoria Cycling League features regular races during the Spring and Summer, but due to the difficulty in finding traffic-free roads, these races take place at locations well outside the core areas of Victoria (e.g. Metchosin, N. Saanich). Given my busy work and family life and my residence along the Victoria / Oak Bay border, I've been unable to attend these regular races. The Windsor Park event allowed me to participate in this sport much closer to home. As a result of racing on Sunday, I'm dedicating myself to further training and I look forward to a long future of riding and racing bicycles.

The event raised funds for the Cops for Cancer campaign, and many generous officers were in attendance to donate their time and keep riders safe. Karl Ullrich and his team at Oak Bay Bicycles should be heartily commended for their fantastic organization and for selflessly promoting recreation and philanthropy in our community.

It is my hope that by writing this letter I can encourage Council and Municipality staff to welcome future events such as the Windsor Park Criterium and to continue to support both the sport and recreation of cycling in our community.

Sincerely,

Rolf Warburton
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Thanks Rolf for the template. I used yours with a few edits:

Dear Mayor and Council,

I write to comment on a fantastic community event that took place in Oak Bay this past Sunday, July 25. The Oak Bay Bicycles Cops for Cancer Criterium in Windsor Park allowed me to enter a fantastic criterium and it was an experience I will not soon forget. The Victoria Cycling League features regular races during the Spring and Summer, but due to the difficulty in finding traffic-free roads, these races take place at locations well outside the core areas of Victoria (e.g. Metchosin, N. Saanich). Given my busy work and family life and my residence along the Victoria / Oak Bay border, I've been unable to attend these regular races. The Windsor Park event allowed me to participate in this sport much closer to home. As a result of racing on Sunday, I'm dedicating myself to further training and I look forward to a long future of riding and racing bicycles.

The event raised funds for the Cops for Cancer campaign, and many generous officers were in attendance to donate their time and keep riders safe. Karl Ullrich and his team at Oak Bay Bicycles should be heartily commended for their fantastic organization and for selflessly promoting recreation and philanthropy in our community.

It is my hope that by writing this letter I can encourage Council and Municipality staff to welcome future events such as the Windsor Park Criterium and to continue to support both the sport and recreation of cycling in our community.

Sincerely,

Perhaps a few more of us can add our 2 cents? Thinking about it I would also very much appreciate the High Schoolers and perhaps their Parents (and others) adding in that the training on Oak Bay roads has been invaluable......
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I just sent them a note too. with one edit, I think that all trees around Windsor park should be removed due to public safety reasons :roll:
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Chris Fraser

Post by Chris Fraser »

Letter done with an appended motion that the cranky Windsor Park Gal have a special visit to EMP for installation of custom headwear playing Queen's immortal, "I want to ride my bicycle.." 24 /7 . Could become a psychiatric case report proving that old cranks CAN change. Chris F